Directional lighting problem

D602bulldog

Hi i have purchased an Heljan oo gauge class 33 when i turn the lights on they are on in the wrong direction to which the locos moving so the centre window with destination  blind is lit at the rear end not the front ie direction of travel i looked at cv29 its set at 34 is that correct i played with different values but it stayed the same is there a cv for changing the direction of the lights im not sure what decoder is fitted.

cheers

53 minutes ago, BoD said:

Did you try 35 in cv29?  This will reverse the direction on the motor.

Hi yes tried that and was still the same i also tried 2 other decoders they were the same has well.

Edited by D602bulldog

First find out what decoder manufacturer you have by reading back CV8, you'll get a number which you can look up.

e.g. CV8 = 145 is Zimo.

Then we can better advise you on fixing the lighting issue.

Regards,

John P

2 hours ago, jpendle said:

First find out what decoder manufacturer you have by reading back CV8, you'll get a number which you can look up.

e.g. CV8 = 145 is Zimo.

Then we can better advise you on fixing the lighting issue.

Regards,

John P

Hi ok will have a look tomorrow cheers

I seem to recall reading that some Heljan locos were wired wrong

If this is the case you have several choices 

Contact Heljan to see if they can help

Correct the wiring yourself

Change some CV's to remedy the problem

It will depend on what you are using to program your Decoders

If you are manually entering values into  CV's then you will need a manual for the decoder***

Here is a couple of screen shots from my setup

I am using JMRI DecoderPro connected via a Sprog II to an ESU Decoder tester*, With a NCE decoder**

After JMRI identifies the decoder go to function mapping  & swap F0(f) & F0(r) as shown in the images

772465886_JMRItestscreenshot.png.13d319b2e3badc8deb15c8f5bdc712e7.png

Or you could do something similar in "lights" by changing "Output 1 active" from "Only in forward" to "Only in reverse"

Repeat for output 2

1450123777_jmrilights.png.3af58f9d6860e340663430917982c028.png

Hope this helps 

John

*instead of the tester you could place your loco on a track connected to the Sprog

** The decoder that was handy to get the screen shots

*** find the section on function mapping/lighting & change the relevant CV's to suit

• Like 1

Hi john i use my nce powercab for changing cv's the loco is the same when i put a blanking plug in and run it on dc so i suspect it could be a wiring issue like you said i will see what decoder is fitted later today thanks for your reply.

colin 

Edited by D602bulldog

John PS's answer/example above is half right, half wrong. 

The first part of JMRI function mapping is correct, and the way to deal with it (assuming the decoder supports that style of function mapping, a modern ESU decoder doesn't use that method).  

But the second part, on the lights tab, doesn't work quite as John implies.    The function map settings would override it, unless they were changed to operate both outputs in both directions (then the lights tab could be used for elements controlled by F0F or F0R.    Forward-Headlight-F0F is a different command from the throttle to Reverse-Headlight-F0R.     

- Nigel

• Like 1

Hi ive checked the decoder id its 099 so i gather thats a lenz decoder version 051 ive had a play still cant sort it out so i put the cv’s back to what they were its so annoying cv 29 should change direction it dont do anything when i change it used a calculator online and it said cv29 set to 7 is that right 88AB06C3-760D-4776-9AFC-8EA0E33468BB.jpeg.10f3f8287910f479e36061c80a514c9f.jpeg

29 minutes ago, RAF96 said:

Starting to look as if the easy way to fix this is to swap the motor wires over, then set CV29 to make the overall direction correct.

Yes think you could be right so just swap the wires on the motor terminals?