Merthyr on Sea

Not a lot to show for 3 weeks since the last post. Ballast has gone down with Legacy 2mm grey.  Not my favourite job but ballast bond glue worked well once the dropper is mastered.  

I've tried to close off the platform with a hut from a butchered Peco station kit.  

Thebay has provided a satlink wagon to add some colour.  

20211006_174343.jpg

20211012_180448.jpg

20211006_175018.jpg

• Like 15

Bit of work on the end hut and now 90% wired just waiting for a switched battery pack for the signal.  Had to show off my new toy. I always envisaged the 121 being Berkshire somewhere but may be too pretty not to run to Burnham or Merthyr 

20211018_162632.jpg

20211018_162627.jpg

• Like 8

Started a half relief warehouse for the cider warehouse (Burnham) or pressings plant (Merthyr).  Some plasticard and some bits from a walthers warehouse for sides and evergreen sheet for the roof.  Originally thought it would be just a canopy but will be adding a wall support.. I plan to keep the facing side plain black, I assume there is no law against having a half relief building at the front of a layout?

20211026_101459.jpg

20211026_101436.jpg

20211025_185925.jpg

• Like 6

No law against it, I just think most modellers take the opportunity to add a more visually interesting facade. However the building is very well done overall and the plain black does look tidy; the half-relief helps to convince the viewer that the "world" continues forwards beyond the baseboards, rather than abruptly stopping. If the rest of this layout is anything to go by it'll look great when the surrounding details are done, so keep it up!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bazzer42 said:

I assume there is no law against having a half relief building at the front of a layout

If there is, I've broken that law before! On multiple occasions. It's your layout, if you want to have a low / half relief building at the front, just do it.

The way you've done it looks good.

Regards, James

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

All done bar guttering. I have some micro LEDs so may add one above the fire exit door awell as internally . There is a packet of auhagen vents in the spares box so that has added a little variation. Next job is concrete base and fencing.

20211027_151132.jpg

20211027_151113.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decided I needed to complete the far corner before securing the industrial unit. A disused signal box may be a cliche but it was a good chance to use a box from 25 years ago.  That said, the amount of butchering to fit made me wonder.  Hoping to extend the scenery into the fiddle yard so playing around with backscene options, I think it works.

The bay provided a parcels rail car. 55995 was certainly seen near Newport so could have run to my terminus from Cardiff. Another super runner.

20211105_151238.jpg

20211101_191710.jpg

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2021 at 19:36, bazzer42 said:

For once something went well, time for some ground (cork tile) cover.

20211108_193947.jpg

Love the scenic carry through beyond the backscene aperture...well done you.  All the best Paul

Edited by Dzine
Missed out on adding message!!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you big D, after looking through the warehouse siding I decided that extending it into the fiddleyard was needed too. I still need to get the lights into the warehouse and would like to get it permanently sited before Christmas kicks off.

20211207_201734.jpg

20211207_201755.jpg

20211207_201850.jpg

• Like 11

That end of the layout is looking excellent now! Between the warehouse viewblocker and continued scenery the fiddle yard is really well disguised, something frequently overlooked I find. The fencing still looks a little orderly and clean but given your work on the rest of the scene I'm sure that won't last for long!

• Like 1

Bit of groundcover between the head shunt and platform but still no warehouse lights. One of those jobs that might have been easier if all the lighting had been done in one go.  Thinking of using the area at the front as a gated pull in for some BR vehicles. The plan is for the horsehair to become a small bramble patch.  Hopefully the second shot of the warehouse shows that the fiddleyard warehouse extension does actually line up (crooked in the last post).

20211214_202040.jpg

20211214_202028.jpg

• Like 6

Thought it would be clever to take a picture of the fiddleyard entrance. It would have been if I hadn't knocked the Basetoys crew bus on to the floor breaking it into 4 pieces. Guess which way that's going to be parked!?!

20211214_210006.jpg

20211214_210634.jpg

Edited by bazzer42
Typography
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

Not a lot to show for a month but less Christmas time than anticipated.   Felt the portakabin with the orange door fitted better with BR vehicle.  Really hate those ratio post holes but think it might look worse if tried to fill them.  Hornby site hut may go in the warehouse. Should have checked clearances,  the sliding door wagon can only enter one way and the cargowaggon misses a fence post by a mm at the tightest point.  After a fence from the hut on the far left we are almost ready to glue details to the platform.

PS glad the layout isn't any longer, trusty gaugemaste can't cope with the Dapol 121s for more than a run in and out....

20220115_122757.jpg

20220115_122921.jpg

20220115_122810.jpg

• Like 14

On 15/01/2022 at 17:23, Nathaniel said:

The lane to the office is a really nice addition to  the scene. Really enjoy your photos of your layout.

Thanks N.  I have to say it's the first time I've built something that I enjoy operating.  Think I would like to try an inglenook or tuning fork style layout.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fantastic work! The trackwork and ground cover definitely looks better than what I usually manage to pull off, and I really enjoy the lane and fence in the foreground - the view of the '37 over the roofs of the cars looks perfectly proportioned. Maybe it just needs a figure leaning on the fence to add a hint of life to the scene?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

Fantastic work! The trackwork and ground cover definitely looks better than what I usually manage to pull off, and I really enjoy the lane and fence in the foreground - the view of the '37 over the roofs of the cars looks perfectly proportioned. Maybe it just needs a figure leaning on the fence to add a hint of life to the scene?

Thanks Mr Arrow, I do need to start adding some figures including the guy with a briefcase to hide my lighting cable.....  Another shot from yesterday.

IMG_4453.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...