A Lynton and Barnstaple Odyssey: 009 

LBSC123

Following a moment of indiscretion I find myself in the possession of a Heljan Southern Era ‘Taw’ and a couple of Peco coaches to suit. What follows is a collection of ramblings which will hopefully at some point turn into an 009 layout.

4394BB77-2C0D-4571-98E5-1DDBEB9160B0.jpeg.d5501d98b6a36aeb26515a067e0a4d2a.jpeg

Since returning to the hobby just over a year ago, I have built two layouts, and learnt a lot doing so. I am not entirely happy with either of these, largely due to compromises I made during the course of construction which I later came to regret. Unfortunately these are ‘baked in’ to both layouts, and one can’t easily solve these without starting again.

Largely, I think this is because I built both layouts in a bit of a fit of excitement during the first and second lockdowns. Ahead of this layout I thought it would be useful (for myself and possibly others) to establish a key set of criteria from which I could design a layout from. 

Key principles:

-I enjoy watching a train proceed through a settling/landscape, so continuous run is a must

-It needs to fit onto my table top, so dimensions are 5ft x2.5ft, maximum

-Needs a degree of operational interest, not just a continuous loop, such as the ability to shunt (a) siding(s) or pass trains in a loop, without looking too cluttered. 

-Hands free operation is a must, so that means automatic couplings to enable shunt movements

-Curved back scenes, no corners in the sky

-Viewing angle needs to be managed, and so lighting gantry needs to be thought about during construction

-Not relying on point blades for frog polarity/continuity

-Passive provision for DCC

-Scenery is my favourite bit of construction, so something that enables me to try out and hone a variety of techniques

-Scratch building is not (yet?) my forte and so any areas of this need to be achievable to avoid demoralisation and the project stalling

-I am not a sucker for modelling the prototype (I’m not sure I’ve got the space either!) but the layout needs to take clear reference points from the actual practice on the L&B, such as: signalling, station track plans ( and SR era rationalisation of these) buidings and scenery. This would enable the less knowledgeable to reasonably conclude that it might *actually* be a station on the L&B. 

That’s it for now. I’ve got a wealth of material to be getting through in the books below. I’m not too sure how quickly things might progress but comments and thoughts appreciated all the same!

44E5C2BF-926F-4153-AF44-55CC67FBEC25.jpeg.5a48042892b4084299d5c5b355c1e4a2.jpeg

Edited by LBSC123
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been mulling this over more over the last few days. A few wagons and a station building have arrived which will help start to set the scene nicely. 

0FCAED69-081F-43C6-93E4-91955D89782E.jpeg.0ccafe44fbd50c5e59d9406fbd891975.jpeg

my current line of thinking is ‘less is more’ and so I am considering an imaginary station which had similar rationalisation of its facilities as Brattain Fleming in 1932, where the passing loop was removed leaving just a siding. There are a number of lovely Village names along the line ‘Loxhore’ has a nice ring to it. 

Regarding baseboards, following in the footsteps of @NHY 581, I see IKEA sell a Lack table with dimensions of 118x78, which could prove suitable. First, I need to see what curves the Manning Wardle will tackle…

D60F12C0-B517-4322-805B-987CBCBEABEC.jpeg.6338298b5facb3eb651edc603b0ee525.jpeg

More soon.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh no! Another thread that I will have to follow!

If this one progresses in a similar fashion  to its predecessors, Will, there will be much to admire. I don't agree with your observation that scratch buildoing is not (yet) your forte. Just look back at that sailing barge.

Anticipation is rife.

• Agree 1

On 12/07/2021 at 20:12, Mick Bonwick said:

Oh no! Another thread that I will have to follow!

If this one progresses in a similar fashion  to its predecessors, Will, there will be much to admire. I don't agree with your observation that scratch buildoing is not (yet) your forte. Just look back at that sailing barge.

Anticipation is rife.

Thanks for the kind words @Mick Bonwick. I can do some kit building and as you mention did a lot of work above and beyond what the kit contained on the Barge. However, as it stands, cutting holes for windows, doors and other things associated with buildings are a bit out of my comfort zone. I intend to partially rectify this on this coming layout, but by not relying on the techniques for the station building I reduce the urgency of tackling such a task. 

It's always good to acknowledge what you do/don't like doing and try and do more of the former and less of the latter!

PS expect a lot of trees on this layout....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1