Metal folding & bending tools

• RMweb Gold

Think I may have asked this question before, but it can't find the thread :scratchhead:

What tools are available for bending & folding metal in brass & white metal kits, and for scratch building?

I'm building an O gauge class 25, which has substantial sections of brass requiring folding, and I've got a class 76 that needs scratch built bogies, which I'm thinking of doing in brass.

During my etched kit building phase, I used two methods. For long folds, I had a couple of lengths of heavy brass angle, which I put over my vice jaws to act as bending bars. In theory they would be a little fiddly to set up so they're accurately level and parallel, but I found that with my particular vice and angle combination, they settled into place naturally.

For smaller folds, I found a brilliant tool on a tool stall at a show. It's a pair of pliers, but with very broad (50 mm or so) smooth jaws. Very quick and handy for small stuff. I think they were about $20 or so. They're a bit like this, but the jaws are wider relative to the rest of the tool. My own aren't accessible for a photo at the mo.

• Thanks 1