Best Bachmann coaches

Henners84

The problem with the Mk1's is the difficulty in dismantling to paint interiors and add passengers, by contrast the Mk2 & 2a are easy to get into. My favourite Baccy coach are the Met Cam Pullmans.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wish manufacturers would make coaches with removable roofs, and for that matter locos with removable cab roofs, to facilitate getting inside to paint interiors, add passenger/crews and so on.  As for coaches, I'm impressed with the only Bachmann one I have, an A38 auto trailer that sadly doesn't get much use because it is a little out of period for my layout.  Bachmann make more of the locos and wagons I want than any other manufacturer, but my particular demands do not play to their coach range, mostly met by Hornby or Comet kits.  Hornby seem to have the edge in terms of NPCCS for my particular needs as well. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Mk2f coaches for me although I do like the Mk2a and the Porthole stock.  I agree with the Mk1 requiring Krypton Factor levels of effort to get them apart. I needed to install a battery operated lighting unit into an RBR to go with the DCC 2Fs and it was like trying to prize open a bank vault with a plastic knife.  When the battery runs out I suspect it'll suddenly suffer a lighting circuit electrical fault and close the buffet after dark.

The 2f coaches though are superb, really good quality.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

35 minutes ago, Henners84 said:

Are the current thompsons any good?

Yes. Although I already had half a dozen Comet ones so not bought as many as I would have done otherwise. The "teak effect" versions are very well done.

Portholes are good as well. Managed to pick another Blood and Custard one up in the TMC sale for about half price as well as a Hawksworth auto trailer.   :D

I also like the BR Mark One Sleepers. Although watch the roofs as some of them have the wrong roof ducting.

Jason

The only B coaches that I have are the birdcages. I’d consider the Bulleids when available but, since I’m already 57, I may not still be around when they finally get here. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, truffy said:

I’d consider the Bulleids when available but, since I’m already 57, I may not still be around when they finally get here. 

My condolences on having been given such a short life expectancy...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Another vote for the MetCamm Pullmans from me - a complete range enabling a realistic train to be made up, reliable smooth running and superb livery application. Also in comparison to the equivalent thread on the Hornby forum the detail on Bachmann coaches is more robust. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I like the Portholes myself.

Fantastic runners, fantastic detail, simple assembly and set up for easy lighting.

They got a bad rep for being wrong price at the wrong time, not once but thrice, but imo its up there with the 3MT as best Bachmann loco.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, davidw said:

Yes. Pity maroon  and BGs and RFs weren't done.

Surprised more effort hasnt gone into getting maroon versions into the market - so common in photo's of trains from the period across all BR regions and with the V2 imminent  a boost in complimentary sales would seem likely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Surprised more effort hasnt gone into getting maroon versions into the market - so common in photo's of trains from the period across all BR regions and with the V2 imminent  a boost in complimentary sales would seem likely.

I did speak to Bachmann pre Covid. It was implied that we'd see them before the V2. Doesn't seem to have happened. The hobby is "loco-centric" may be the judgement is there's more money in locos. Bachmann coaches are tending to be very pricy - aren't they all. 

Fortunately I've two full comet kits done with a couple more to do and loads of resided old tooling  and new tooling Thompsons that I've resided. 

I'd still like a few more though and I don't really want to go to the effort that's been needed on those Ive already done!

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, GordonC said:

No question about it for me, easily the Mk2Fs ... just superb coaches

Yes they are very good, but for me they aren't the "best" because the glazing could be slightly more flush. Compare them to the Hornby version. If NPCCS counts, I'd say the PMV.

But going by the images we've seen, I'm with Graham Muz and expect the Bulleids to be the best so far.

On 26/08/2021 at 11:45, brushman47544 said:

Yes they are very good, but for me they aren't the "best" because the glazing could be slightly more flush. Compare them to the Hornby version. If NPCCS counts, I'd say the PMV.

But going by the images we've seen, I'm with Graham Muz and expect the Bulleids to be the best so far.

And they ride slightly too high, it’s nit picking (I own a few and love them). But at £94 rrp, it is a flaw. But it’s due to the pick ups, that also make them fantastic. So swings and roundabouts I guess.

• RMweb Premium
On 03/07/2021 at 15:12, w124bob said:

The problem with the Mk1's is the difficulty in dismantling to paint interiors and add passengers

I would go the other way the Mk1s are actually very well designed - no fiddly clips to break (like Hornby) plus sides which could be separated from the roof and interior held in by a couple of screws under the bogies.

Yes getting the water tank fillers out of the roof or body ends could sometimes be a bit tricky but generally speaking its wasn't too much trouble.

However - due to complaints from some modellers I understand Bachmann now glue the sides to the roof and roof to the ends (which are part of the chassis moulding making disassembly considerably harder and more likely you will break something in the process.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium
On 25/08/2021 at 21:19, adb968008 said:

I like the Portholes myself.

Fantastic runners, fantastic detail, simple assembly and set up for easy lighting.

They got a bad rep for being wrong price at the wrong time, not once but thrice, but imo its up there with the 3MT as best Bachmann loco.

Only downside was the flimsy bogie design of the first run (since modified I believe) which in effect was missing bracing at the coupling end thus allowing the sides to flex and the wheels to fall out.