Tavistock (GWR)

John Brenchley

The Yard Crane (4)

In the two weeks since the last update, the yard crane hasn’t progressed very much, other than to solder the sides to the base and to the other cross pieces nearer the top plus make some modifications to the base pieces.

As supplied, the etch comes with a sub floor that is designed to sit about 1.3 mm above the main floor and for the first crane, I installed this as per the instructions.

However, from looking more closely at Julia’s photographs it appears that this sub floor only existed at the front of the crane and stopped just behind the main pillar.  In fact, the photos also suggest that the main floor did not extend past the column either, but I drew the line at removing this part of the floor as I needed something substantial to keep the sides fixed together.

Also, there is a slight triangular extension of both the main and sub floors at the front of the crane, between which there is a heavy ring of metal.  I’ve no real understanding as to what this did and the kit does not make any provision for it.  However, for the second crane, I thought I would try to incorporate it.  The left and centre pictures below show this feature.

854414331_IMG_9178edited3.jpg.1207b82e2425511c5ed60f3466a96125.jpg

I used the exiting sub floor, turning it round 180 degrees so that there was spare metal at the front and filed the triangular shape that extends beyond the front of the crane.  I retained the position of the large etched hole near the front so that I could use the pillar to help locate it.  A small bit of spare etch filed into a triangle was also added to the front of the main floor and another piece of etch, bent into a ring was soldered in between.

Finally, the right-hand picture above shows that there was a vertical cross piece maybe a foot or so deep at the back of the crane, right at the bottom and this was replicated with another piece of spare etch as nothing was included in the kit for it.

The pictures below show the crane body soldered together and incorporating the extra bits described above

508975180_PC180213combined.jpg.c8a119c906c98813364f8721f3189e07.jpg

The next stage will be more interesting to do as it involves adding the various wheels and gears that make the crane body so distinctive.

Best wishes

John

Edited by John Brenchley
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The "Heavy ring of metal" is a guide roller, the crane frame sits over a tapered cast iron post, this fits into the socket at the top of the frame (see middle picture).  The tapered post is fixed to the ground and dosnt rotate, the frame rotates around it.

The base of the tapered post has a flat section which forms a track for the guide roller. The visible roller will take most of the load when the crane is in use,  there will be (likely) 2 further rollers at the back of the crane frame in a similar position which stop the frame tipping in this direction, they do not take much load and would be of a smaller size.

Pete

• Informative/Useful 3

Christmas Greetings

Best wishes to everyone from Perth (the one down under)

Christmas.jpg.758bb0884f8f5f5a363f6cec0310e211.jpg

Not a snow scene as its summer here in Australia and we don't get snow in Perth.

In fact its bright and sunny and we are heading for a high of 42C this afternoon - said to be the hottest Christmas day ever recorded in Perth (too hot for this Pom)

Best wishes

John

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, John Brenchley said:

Christmas Greetings

Not a snow scene as its summer here in Australia and we don't get snow in Perth.

In fact its bright and sunny and we are heading for a high of 42C this afternoon - said to be the hottest Christmas day ever recorded in Perth (too hot for this Pom)

Best wishes

John

Same to you John - a nice 30deg over here in the East!

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, John Brenchley said:

Christmas Greetings

Best wishes

John

Merry Christmas John, it’s about 4 degrees here, cold, damp and grey!

Jerry

26C62EC3-F94D-406E-84F0-CC79BDA0B145.jpeg.27badf444351d8c3cebfed133beaa9cf.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, John Brenchley said:

The wire is probably older than I am as I inherited it from my father, masses of it wound round a large wooden cotton reel - some softish, I suspect mainly copper wire but with a dull purple colour coating that can be scraped off by dragging the wire through a fold of sandpaper - perhaps it was originally intended to be used for motor winding.  Its about 0.25mm thick.

Lovely job, John.

I have stacks of similar wire, my father was a physics teacher in the 1930's -early 50's!  The brown coating is varnish and the wire would indeed be for winding coils for the likes of motors or solenoids etc.

Jim

4 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I have just picked up on this thread, fantastic work.

Just one thing I have picked up on is that the GWR type 5 signal boxes were generally built entirly in blue brick rather than red brick on your model. I had a look at colour photos of Tavistock and yes the box is in blue brick.

David

Hi David

Thanks for your comments on the thread.

Yes, you are correct about the Tavistock box being made of blue brick.

I cannot recall if I had the colour pictures in GWRJ No 17 at the time I built the model signal box.  The camera I have has a tendency to enhance colours a bit too much so in reality the bricks are a bit duller than the computer screen suggests - probably more like brown brick than red brick but I agree they could probably do with a bit more purple in them.

Best wishes

John

4 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Lovely job, John.

I have stacks of similar wire, my father was a physics teacher in the 1930's -early 50's!  The brown coating is varnish and the wire would indeed be for winding coils for the likes of motors or solenoids etc.

Jim

Thanks Jim

Its quite possible that my spool of wire goes back that far as well, though I don't know why my father had it as he wasn't into models or electronics. 

Best wishes

John

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, The Great Bear said:

This would be great to get this detail and accuracy in 4mm, but in 2mm - excellent modelling. The last picture is great.

Thanks Great Bear

I have to admit that as originally taken, that picture was rather dark.  Luckily, Photoshop has a feature to allow lightening of the shadows and darkening of highlights.

The camera was at the end of the baseboard, looking the whole length of the train shed.  The picture was then cropped to close in on the footbridge..

Other than changes to the shadows, cropping and occasionally adjustment of the white balance, I don't make any other adjustments to the pictures though my Olympus  camera does have a tendency to produce images that are a bit brighter than they should be.

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, gwr517 said:

John,

I love the layout of trees and undergrowth. Your 

views are really effective.

Doug.

26 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Fantastic. Love it.

Thanks very much Doug and Matt.

It took quite a while and did get a bit tedious at times but it certainly changes the look of the layout.

Now I just need to smarten up the bushes behind the station building - repeated leaning over them has severely denuded them of leaves.

Best wishes

John

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

The new trees and positioning are a lot closer to the prototype now, without being overbearing, great work!

Thanks very much

Its good to get confirmation from someone living nearby who's familiar with the location.

I suspect that your ultimate rendition of the tree and other growth along the river bank is very close to how I would have ended up had I been doing it. It both looks natural and provides good viewing windows of the railway that lies behind it.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, bécasse said:

I suspect that your ultimate rendition of the tree and other growth along the river bank is very close to how I would have ended up had I been doing it. It both looks natural and provides good viewing windows of the railway that lies behind it.

Thanks bécasse, much appreciated.

I agree with the others, John.  Despite having no knowledge of the area, my first impression was how natural it looked.  The dead and fallen trees are a nice touch which just adds to that.

Jim

Lovely work all round.  Many years ago, I was lucky enough to wander around the station area in its last years.  Sadly, didn't really appreciate it all then, so thanks to the quality modelling I can visualise it once more.

Brian