Tavistock (GWR)

John Brenchley

10 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

I agree with the others, John.  Despite having no knowledge of the area, my first impression was how natural it looked.  The dead and fallen trees are a nice touch which just adds to that.

Jim

2 hours ago, brianusa said:

Lovely work all round.  Many years ago, I was lucky enough to wander around the station area in its last years.  Sadly, didn't really appreciate it all then, so thanks to the quality modelling I can visualise it once more.

Brian

Thank you both for your comments

Its good to hear from those who knew the station Brian.

I did spend some time in Tavistock when I visited the UK in 2009 but of course, nothing was left of the site by then.  I did take pictures of the river, St John's Lane plus the cottages and cemetary on Dolvin Rd with the railway embankment behind it which have been useful.

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

That looks just right and completely believable, John. Apart from the trees at the front, the group at the back on the left hand side also looks very good I think.

The lettering on the horse-drawn coal wagon works well too. I hope Mr Bailey won't run into trouble with the unions, they are probably a bit baffled by his sudden conversion :)

Edited by Mikkel
Grammar
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

That looks just right and completely believable, John. Apart from the trees at the front, the group at the back on the left hand side also looks very good I think.

The lettering on the horse-drawn coal wagon works well too. I hope Mr Bailey won't run into trouble with the unions, they are probably a bit baffled by his sudden conversion :)

Thanks Mikkel

The vegetation on the embankment behind the left hand curve on the corner baseboard can be seen closer up in some of the pictures I posted of the layout taken from that end earlier on this saga (middle of page 1)

Best wishes

John

Edited by John Brenchley

• 4 weeks later...

D1661 LMS Cattle Wagon

Along with the Midland Railway cattle wagon shown in the previous post, I had also purchased an etched kit for the LMS cattle wagon built to D1661.

Although the method of building the kits is similar, the different style of top rails in the LMS wagon make this a kit for the masochists among us.  On the Midland wagon the rails pass through the uprights so can be represented by just two continuous wires each side.  However in the final style of Midland van which was perpetuated by the LMS in D 1661, the rails are fitted individually outside of the uprights as can be seen in the picture below, taken from the 2010 edition of Essery's book "An Illustrated History of LMS Wagons Volume One"

1359598386_P3190340cropped.jpg.f5cb4364bb4b7cd0bd6de4c7bad85433.jpg

As with the Midland kit, each side is made up of 4 layers.  The bottom layer includes the horizontal and diagonal planking, the next two layers provide the outside wooden framing and the final layer has the various ironwork supports and brackets. 

P3190341rotated.jpg.100762020bf8c99a9cfc7db24e46edf8.jpg

The middle two layers have etched holes for the ends of the rails which I bent up from 9 thou steel guitar strings, each rail ending up looking rather like a staple.  Many attempts were rejected as not quite the right length but eventually I got 8 that fitted correctly for the first side.

The four layers are numbered 1 to 4 on the etch so it would seem logical to solder them together in that order which is what I did with the Midland wagon.  However I found that the quantity of metal tended to form a heat sink and it was tricky to get the tiny delicate pieces on the 4th layer to solder properly.  So for the LMS wagon I tried working in reverse order.  Having thoroughly tinned the back of the ironwork, I first soldered layer 4 to layer 3 and then added layer 2 to the back of these.  At this stage the "legs" of the 8 rails were pushed though the etched holes and then soldered in place from the back of layer 2 .  The surplus bits of wire were then filed back flush with the back of layer 2 and finally layer 1 was soldered in place.

One other slight change in construction I make is to remove most of the top and bottom of the etch surrounds and just keep the sides that have the locating holes.  This allows the soldering iron to be run along the top and bottom edges of the wagon making it easier to transfer heat to all the layers rather than waiting for it to pass through them all just from the top or bottom surface.

The finished cleaned up first side is pictured below.

500344553_P3190338cropped.jpg.4e1a488625f6590e33eb4981a7655b00.jpg

That took about a week so it will be a while before I can post a picture of the finished wagon.

At least I'm only intending to add one of these to my wagon fleet - I certainly don't envy anyone wanting to make a rake of these wagons to replicate the picture below.

2033746390_P3190339cropped.jpg.3ce2ef0daa5bbeccb43255385c7a7b3c.jpg

Though since the etch now seems to be currently out of stock, perhaps you'll be saved from such torture.

Best wishes

John

Edited by John Brenchley
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Re-posting the photographs

I've just finished adding back all the photos that I had previously included in the past 7 pages of this thread.

To return the continuity of the thread to the way it was, I wonder if it would be possible for other modellers who had included pictures in their replies to upload them again. My thanks to Ian Morgan who has already done this.

I realise this is a bit of a nuisance to do but it would make re-reading some of the comments much more logical.

I've had a read through and I think the following people have added pictures - if its not too much trouble and you still have them available, I'd really appreciate it if you could "edit" your comment and re-attach your pictures.

Winchat - page 1

becasse - page 3

JohnBS - page 3

queensquare - page 4

JohnBS - page 4

Caley Jim - page 5

Thanks very much

Best wishes

John

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I used the 'My Attachments' page to see all my uploaded photos, 'latest first'. There is the date uploaded and a link to the topic where it was uploaded.

I then edit the topic entry, and it shows me the file names of the missing images, so I could search for them on my PC, upload them again, and remove the empty ones.

I have gone back to 1st August 2021 so far, and will await completion of re-indexing to see exactly what is still missing.

I am not sure what happens where I uploaded an image and then re-used it in other posts.

Edited by Ian Morgan
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, John Brenchley said:

To return the continuity of the thread to the way it was, I wonder if it would be possible for other modellers who had included pictures in their replies to upload them again. My thanks to Ian Morgan who has already done this.

Caley Jim - page 5

Thanks for the heads up, John.  Just replaced them.

Jim

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hi John, I took another look at your work around the weir at Tavvy and noticed even the start of the canal down to Morwellham Quay.  Spent many an hour traipsing around this area, the Incline and the docks be fore they were dredged and became a popular tourist attraction.

A pleasure to see it all again!

Brian

4 hours ago, brianusa said:

hi John, I took another look at your work around the weir at Tavvy and noticed even the start of the canal down to Morwellham Quay.  Spent many an hour traipsing around this area, the Incline and the docks be fore they were dredged and became a popular tourist attraction.

A pleasure to see it all again!

Brian

Hi Brian

Thanks for your comment.

Your reference to the Tavistock Canal got me looking for more information as I didn't realise it started near the weir.

What I included in the model was just the salmon leap.

Looking at picture on Google, Is the start of the canal some sort of sluice that allows water to flow out of the Tavy just above the weir and salmon leap - if so, I omitted that bit due to ignorance.

Best wishes

John

• 1 year later...

John has already shown a glimpse of this pic early on in the thread, but I recently had an e-bay opportunity to get a print from the original, although it wasn't as sharp as I was hoping. Anyway, it's one of my favourite Buffalo pics - 1570 at Tavistock on a Plymouth auto. The picture was taken by Dr Ian C Allen, a well-known photographer, who dated it 1931. It appeared in Great Western Album, by Dick Riley. The loco is a good example of how quickly the early tanks were changing in appearance around this time. It received panniers in November 1925 (possibly with an enclosed cab), was fitted with screw-reverse in December 1928 (with a new or another cab revision with rectangular front windows), ATC probably fitted c 1930 (on Buffalos it seems to have been fitted at the rear), and within a year of this photo, when pictured at Yelverton, had been fitted with an extended smokebox and extended tanks. It was eventually withdrawn in October 1935, being supplanted by the new 64xx locos.

I think I did work out what the autocoach diagrams were at one time (not too difficult from the window patterns), but I haven't got my Lewis autocoach books with me.

1570-1-small.jpg.d94c390327e0230a86f78a018e1c2932.jpg

• Like 8