Jump to content

Tavistock (GWR)


Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold

Hi John. Great to see you start a thread for Tavistock. Very much looking forward to seeing more of the layout!

 

Tom.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I shall look forward to seeing more of this. I have enjoyed reading the updates that made it to the 2mm magazine. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Hi John,

 

I'd just like to point out that the river is the Tavy and not the Dart which runs higher on the moor and is in two parts until it joins at Dartmeet.

 

 

 

Quite right - stupid mistake on my part - no idea why I mixed up the Tavy and the Dart.

 

I'll make a correction to the original post.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi John, If I am  not mistaken I believe that the local model railway clubs held their shows in the New market building  just up the road from the station. Looks like you have a nice project on your hands good modelling.

Regards Ray.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A most interesting track plan.  Tavvy was well endowed with facilities especially a T/T which must have been used very rarely in later days after the 4-4-0s left it to the tank engines.  Could make a great model!

   Brian

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, brianusa said:

A most interesting track plan.  Tavvy was well endowed with facilities especially a T/T which must have been used very rarely in later days after the 4-4-0s left it to the tank engines.  Could make a great model!

   Brian

I read somewhere that the turntable was still used to turn the tank engines on some of the services that terminated at Tavistock - presumably drivers preferred to return to Plymouth facing forward.

John

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to seeing the updates John.   Amity tells me she'd like to get over to WA to see her sister and her family and her brother and his girlfriend when the craziness all ends.  Maybe 2022!

Link to post
Share on other sites

John,

Great to see that you’ve started a thread for Tavistock. When I started back 2mm modelling it was a station that I considered before I decided to go the freelance route - as having seen photos of what you’d already done at the time I decided that two 2mm Tavistock’s (even if they were half a world apart would be a no-no) and more importantly I seriously doubted that I could come anywhere near your rendition!

 

I look forward to seeing up to date photos of your progress, and reading about your techniques.

Ian

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is great to see you starting this blog entry. As one who has seen your work in the flesh I will be following with interest. I am now an EM modeller with Pre WW1 GWR as my main interest . Looking forward to your next entry.

Doug. 

Perth W.Australia.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ian Smith said:

John,

Great to see that you’ve started a thread for Tavistock. When I started back 2mm modelling it was a station that I considered before I decided to go the freelance route - as having seen photos of what you’d already done at the time I decided that two 2mm Tavistock’s (even if they were half a world apart would be a no-no) and more importantly I seriously doubted that I could come anywhere near your rendition!

 

I look forward to seeing up to date photos of your progress, and reading about your techniques.

Ian

Thanks for those kind comments Ian

I think if you had started on Tavistock as well, it might have been my efforts that would have suffered in comparison - I very much admire what you have achieved with Modbury and it was your posts that inspired me to start this thread.

 

Best wishes

 

John

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, gwr517 said:

It is great to see you starting this blog entry. As one who has seen your work in the flesh I will be following with interest. I am now an EM modeller with Pre WW1 GWR as my main interest . Looking forward to your next entry.

Doug. 

Perth W.Australia.

Good to hear from you again Doug - at first I didn't recognize the gwr517 name.

Your interests have changed a bit - have you dropped the Sn3.5?

I think with your level of attention to detail, you've made the right move to go to EM instead of OO.

Best wishes

John

Link to post
Share on other sites

John,

I have no room for a realstic S scale layout due to a house move and therefore decided to follow my other interest, the GWR. You and others from the old Special Interest Group we once belonged to encouraged this along with threads on rmweb . Therefore I will follow Tavistock with great interst indeed. Retirement is helping my layout building and I'm pleased that you can work part time as you have always strived for perfction and while you have plenty of talent you need time also. We all do.

Keep Well,

Doug.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful stuff.

 

The trackwork on Alresford was laid using to old plastic sleeper bases. It was laid during a cold winter, and we had our coats on in the clubrooms. Araldite was like toffee at those temperatures, but we did manage to get the track down. However, when the weather warmed up and the rail expanded, we had not not left enough expansion gaps. The rail was held in by the chair mouldings, so the only way was up, and we ended up with a roller coaster.

 

Happy days :-)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Geoff

 

That looks an interesting link .

 

Its hard to tell from the pictures but it looks as if the texture might be a little excessive for 2mm scale - also quite dark in colour - have you tried it?

 

Best wishes

 

John

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, John Brenchley said:

Thanks Geoff

 

That looks an interesting link .

 

Its hard to tell from the pictures but it looks as if the texture might be a little excessive for 2mm scale - also quite dark in colour - have you tried it?

 

Best wishes

 

John

 

John

 

I haven't tried the Asphalt as such but I have used other ground textures and they seem to be alright for 2mm.  I have attached a couple of images of a building I made for a friend N gauge US layout.  As I was going to take it to a NMRA meeting I did a quick scenery job as a display. 

 

As you can see from the indoor shoot taken from what would call a viewing distance the texture seems to be fine but the other photograph I took outside is taken a bit closer seems to be a bit coarse for 2mm.  The texture was a pale colour as I recall and I used pigments to colour it.  I tried to add various tones so it wasn't too uniform.

 

Again, as I recall I was able to thin it using water. 

 

Are you coming to the shindig in September providing it goes ahead?  If so, I can bring a pot with me and you can play with it (the paint that is, not the pot).

 

The railway line in the outdoor shot is the main line between Adelaide and Melbourne.

 

Kind regards

 

Geoff

Building_3_edited-2.jpg

DSC_0769.JPG

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

A nice looking scene there Geoff - I like the ground cover treatment.

 

I'll keep experimenting with my tarmac but might take you up on your offer in September.

 

In theory, I'm booked to come to the 2mm gathering in NSW but I'm not too sure about getting there now.  The way WA treats its borders, I might not be allowed back from NSW unless the Covid outbreak gets controlled fairly soon.

 

Best wishes

 

John

Edited by John Brenchley
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 22/07/2021 at 12:52, John Brenchley said:

A nice looking scene there Geoff - I like the ground cover treatment.

 

I'll keep experimenting with my tarmac but might take you up on your offer in September.

 

In theory, I'm booked to come to the 2mm gathering in NSW but I'm not too sure about getting there now.  The way WA treats its borders, I might not be allowed back from NSW unless the Covid outbreak gets controlled fairly soon.

 

Best wishes

 

John

 

Thank you John, very kind of you to say so.

 

I was just thinking a bit more about your roads.  A present weathering technique seems to be putting dots of various, usually oil, colours over the object to be weathered.  You might want to try it with various shades of pigments although there wouldn't be anything stopping you using oils, and using a brush to blend the colours.  That way you can get various tones, roads are never single colour, and a good transition between the various tones.

 

I think the WA/SA border is open as it the QLD/SA border.  Maybe SA might be the go?

 

Kind regards

Geoff

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...