Tavistock (GWR)

John Brenchley

Hi Blandford1969

Thanks very much.

I presume you are referring to the corners in the brickwork.  As it was so long ago, I can't be too sure what I did but on the signal box, it would either have been a case of filing a 45 degree angle on the corners of the brick overlay  to get a sharp join or given that this layer was only about 15 thou thick, I might have accepted a butt joint.

Looking at the nearest corner in the picture of the rear of the box and enlarging it hugely on the screen, it appears to me that the mortar joints don't go right up to the corner, so this seems to indicate that I accepted a butt joint and from normal viewing distance, this isn't too visible.

with the station building, part of which is visible in the background, I adopted a different approach.  For the brick window and corner surrounds, I again used thinned down Ratio sheets but scored it almost all the way through from the back and folded it around the corners.  This inevitably gives a slightly rounded appearance to the corner but does allow the mortar courses to show up and flow round the corner.

Best wishes

John

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I have never been particularly fastidious about brick courses continuing into corner joints, but do take a slitting file, extremely fine saw or scalpel blade to notch the courses on the corner: that catches the eye quite well. Before we made our own styrene brick sheet, the notches were all I used to represent bricks, along with hand painted bricks here and there. The corner details on a building are what your eye mainly alights upon. 

Tim

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I agree, excellent modelling. That first shot with the look-through really captures the spaciousness of the prototype.

Interesting to see two cranes outside in the aerial photo, next to each other. Haven't seen that often.

• Agree 1

Thanks Mikkel

Yes, 2 cranes does seem odd - the aerial photo is from about 1928.

Luckily N Brass models does sells a suitable etch for this type of crane based on an initial etch design by Julia Adams so I will be ordering a couple soon.

Best wishes

John

• Like 2

John,

I like that a lot. The distressing of the plank bottoms is very subtle, and the fact that one or two glazing bars overlap is only noticeable in the cruel close up (and only then because I looked for it because you’d mentioned it! :))

Keep the photos coming - when I started 2mm modelling a few years ago, the photos of Tavistock on the 2mm website (along with others) were what inspired me most when building Modbury. Thank you.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching this with interest, as I have in mind Tavistock South as a possible future project in 4mm scale. My plan is to model the station from a point just north of the front of the train shed, so I leave out the bulk of the train shed, the goods shed and possibly the timber and coal sidings at the front, and just model the front of the train shed, the signal box and the loco yard.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Watching this with interest, as I have in mind Tavistock South as a possible future project in 4mm scale. My plan is to model the station from a point just north of the front of the train shed, so I leave out the bulk of the train shed, the goods shed and possibly the timber and coal sidings at the front, and just model the front of the train shed, the signal box and the loco yard.

Alex

There should be a lot of interesting features at that end of the station for you to model Alex but you've definitely picked the end the didn't get photographed very much.  When I get to building that end myself, I suspect I'll be having to make a few inspired guesses as to what some of the buildings looked like.

Best wishes

John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Brenchley said:

There should be a lot of interesting features at that end of the station for you to model Alex but you've definitely picked the end the didn't get photographed very much.  When I get to building that end myself, I suspect I'll be having to make a few inspired guesses as to what some of the buildings looked like.

Don't worry, John. A few months after you have completed modelling and painting these buildings, a photo (or a series of photos) will emerge showing that you guessed wrong. Been there, done it - and more than once!

• Friendly/supportive 1

I have a building construction question that I hope my fellow modellers can help with.

Based on pictures of the office at the southern end of the station, I think I will need to add a strip of wood on each side immediately below the slates (is barge board the correct technical term?) to the office I am building for the northern end.  

What I am not sure is whether or not it should also extend past the chimney breast.  I've drawn the two possible variation on the picture below with photoshop.  I can't really tell from the enlargement of the aerial photo which version might have been there.

1400228428_Bargeboards.jpg.0ccaee7e01b8cf012b478cf7357e49ac.jpg

Which is most likely to be the correct one, based on prototype building practice please?

Thanks

Best wishes

John

Edited by John Brenchley
  • Like 2

Since the purpose of the barge boards is to protect the edges of the roof my guess is that they would extend up the full side of the roof, so yes, covering the side of the chimney. 

Beautiful modelling BTW John. 

Jim 

1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

The purpose of the bargeboard is to protect (from rain) the vertically-slatted boards below it. The brick is probably regarded as self-protecting. Besides which, if the bargeboard did extend over the brick, how would it attach to the brick?

Sorry, Russ, as you will see from my reply I completely disagree with this.   Roofs with a considerable overhang still have bargeboards, as do those on brick buildings.  They are there to protect the edge of the roof purlins, not the top of the wall.  See here.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Add link
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

Sorry, Russ, as you will see from my reply I completely disagree with this.   Roofs with a considerable overhang still have bargeboards, as do those on brick buildings.  They are there to protect the edge of the roof purlins, not the top of the wall.  See here.

Jim

Agree fully with Jim. The barge boards would have stopped at the chimney

Jerry

• Agree 1

My guess is to place the verge closure (it's not really a barge board) on the timber cladding and just point in the slates on top of the chimney breast (or is it a pier merged with a chimney breast?) - just a neat mortar joint.  All the verge closure is doing is covering the gap above the head rail of the timber framing and the underside of the slates - the gap is the slating batten thickness:  in timber frame construction, mortar wouldn't work. (It also covers any ragged cuts in the tops of the vertical cladding but don't mention that in front of the chippy who cut the cladding!).

It's a really nice model and well worth pursuing these little details. 

Kit PW

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As soon as the roof is laid over the top of the chimney breast, the plank / barge board / verge closure would go over the brick work. It will also look better and be more stylish. 

Tim

• Agree 1

Thank you everyone who has offered their thoughts on the length of the "plank".

There was a lot of logical thought behind both alternatives but after having a more thorough search on the internet for images, I think I'm going to go with the longer version that matches the extent of the slates i.e. extending over the bricks.

Best wishes

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1