TC formations....

pheaton

• RMweb Gold

2x 4TC.  In the early days there were  few 3TCs (omitting the TFK) as they didn't have enough 4REPs and some  trains were formed 11TC + 2x EDL.  (The short sets were necessary to fit the platforms at Waterloo.)

I'm not sure what they did at the end, when REPs were being withdrawn to provide motive power for 442s, but my impression is that almost anything was possible.

As an aside, we had LUL's 4TC at the Mid-Hants diesel gala the other weekend, working in push-pull with 2x EDL.  It must be the first time it's done that for years!

• Like 1

In the late 1980's there were multiple changes leading to 5TCs and 5 TCTs while the 442s were being bulit. However, for day to day services to Salisbury and loco hauled to Weymouth it was two units couples together. The whole point was to avoid remarshaling rakes. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, pheaton said:

Hi All,

Looking to expand my 4tc to an 8tc....but what formations did they run in....was it 2x 4tc or was it a single set with 8 coaches and one Brake?

thanks

simon

This is Southern. Going right back to the original Southern Railway, fixed formations of coaches in sets was and remained a way of life, whether loco-hauled or multiple-unit. Sets or MUs would not be readily re-formed without higher authority. So if you are running your TCs as part of an everyday vanilla railway, then 2 x 4TCs would be absolutely correct. If you want to customise them, as per the various changes outlined in meld's link, feel free. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was an evening rush hour train from Waterloo that was formed of 8 emu (VEP or CIG), 4TC and a 33/1. It split at Basingstoke to form  Soton and Salisbury services if memory serves.... I also seem to remember the 1039 Yeovil - Waterloo was a 4TC - 33/1 - mk1 BG formation for a while in the late 80's. 

When the 442 emu's were being built, the 91 headcodes were formed of 8TC and 2x 73/1 to maintain the timings. 

2 hours ago, woodyfox said:

There was an evening rush hour train from Waterloo that was formed of 8 emu (VEP or CIG), 4TC and a 33/1. It split at Basingstoke to form  Soton and Salisbury services if memory serves

There was a regular up working in the morning peak that was 33/1+4TC+4CIG or VEP that was probably the return half of that diagram.

Yes, that loco/TC/VEP etc working was rather mixed and has been well discussed on here before. The loco could be at the front, middle or back!

Remember too the "prototype" 6TC converted from Nelson stock was used on the Kenny Belle in the early days of 1968. The times I saw it at Olympia it was loco hauled by a 33 as I was told the push-pull stuff didn't work.

For the Yeovil service with 33/TC/BG, the BG must have been air braked. Did the Southern have any?

Edited by roythebus1

56 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Wasn’t there also a TC set made from “leftover bits of old EMUs” that was used on the East Grinstead service as hauled stock c1970? I can just about remember it, but not clearly.

There were two different "TC" operations on the Oxted line in the 60s.  First up in 1963 was the 7TC which wasn't a TC in the way that term subsequently came to mean a push pull trailer unit.  It was rake of SUB trailers and BIL driving cars with the traction equipment stripped out.  It was hauled by class 33s like a conventional set of coaches.  Then came the 6TC which was a "proper" TC formed of RES/PUL/PAN vehicles.  This worked with D6580 on the Oxted line from 1966 until the July 1967 timetable change.

• Thanks 1

It must be the latter that I half-recall, because I was only a boy at the time, and I think that in 1963 I’d have been too young to have noticed the finer point. I don’t think we ever rode in it, but I remember being at Lingfield racecourse with an uncle and cousins, and seeing a strange train formation that was very obviously 1930s EMU.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

Yes, that loco/TC/VEP etc working was rather mixed and has been well discussed on here before. The loco could be at the front, middle or back!

Remember too the "prototype" 6TC converted from Nelson stock was used on the Kenny Belle in the early days of 1968. The times I saw it at Olympia it was loco hauled by a 33 as I was told the push-pull stuff didn't work.

For the Yeovil service with 33/TC/BG, the BG must have been air braked. Did the Southern have any?

I've seen footage on a Locomaster Profiles compilation video of 4TC being propelled by a 33/1, with a GUV behind the loco....

Edited by Tim Hall
Grammar

10 hours ago, roythebus1 said:

29 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

I seen footage on a Locomaster Profiles compilation video of 4TC being propelled by a 33/1, with a GUV behind the loco....

I've had a quick scoot through the SR stock lists for the late 60s and 70s and I can't find any AB BGs.  The SR did have several AB GUVs though.

• RMweb Gold

There's a picture in Colin Marsden's book on the class 73s of a test run with a formation consisting of a 4-CEP + 73/1 + Bulleid 3-set with the 73 acting as the translator

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...