Potentially good news for those awaiting some Dapol products - Ever Given released from Suez Canal

1andrew1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

How long does it typically take to unload a ship of this size?

Depends how many boxes need to come off, how many need to go on, and how many need to go back on, but a turnround in 48 hours shouldn't be too difficult in a well equipped container port with several cranes working simultaneously,  But on the other hand i have seen large box ships in port unloading/loading for 4 days or so. but she has cargo to transfer to another vessel so might take a lot longer,  

Current ETA for Felixstowe is 08 August according to EverGreen

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

How long does it typically take to unload a ship of this size?

Not sure of a typical time, would depend on what needs unloading and then new loading requirements.

Currently docked at Rotterdam MAASVLAKTE, but no details yet for time of departure for next port/destination.

Unloading will take longer as the containers that were due for discharge at Hamburg are coming off at Rotterdam, and will be transhipped. The vessel was due to sail the following day after Rotterdam arrival, for Felixstowe, but not sure if that will still happen, it's not on the Felixstowe expected list.

I wonder if it will be taking on any containers at Rotterdam and Felixstowe, as it probably has to go for further examination and possible repairs.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rembrow said:

Unloading will take longer as the containers that were due for discharge at Hamburg are coming off at Rotterdam, and will be transhipped. The vessel was due to sail the following day after Rotterdam arrival, for Felixstowe, but not sure if that will still happen, it's not on the Felixstowe expected list.

I wonder if it will be taking on any containers at Rotterdam and Felixstowe, as it probably has to go for further examination and possible repairs.

It was originally stated that it was terminating at Rotterdam for repairs with all containers trans shipped

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, reddragon said:

It was originally stated that it was terminating at Rotterdam for repairs with all containers trans shipped

Thanks, I'd missed that bit of info earlier.

41 minutes ago, reddragon said:

From what I read, it was only Hamburg that was dropped,  due to the seaworthiness report at Port Said. Reuters reported a couple of hours ago, that the vessel will remain unloading at Rotterdam, till 3 August and then depart for Felixstowe. We'll have to see as this voyage has obviously subject to change. At Rotterdam it will move to the Euromax Terminal to offload the Hamburg bound containers.

Edited by rembrow
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like I wasted my time posting the planned Felixstowe arrival date.  it won't be on the Felixstowe port detaiils for arrvals because that only goes up to 04 August.  So to repeat - it is currently expected to berth at Felixstowe on 08 August according to the shipping line and this information that have on their website -

526039203_EVERGIVENsUpdatedETBatPortsofDischarge.jpg.fbb1079b3c5c4d1e964bc08a6d30249b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It is also quoted that 

the Ever Given will remain in Rotterdam until Monday, when she's expected to sail for Felixstowe in Britain, before going to into a dry dock in Dunkirk in France for a further inspection.

seems to be good news that at least a final run to the UK to unload will be before dry docking that will save quite a few days. Deliveries possible in late August rather than September plus!

1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

And??

That is how the whole sorry story of Ever Given started - strong winds in the Suez Canal pushed it aground.

I definitely hope not, but I'm sure they'll be extra careful this time around!!

Al.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi

The Ever Given saga has been very interesting to follow. Regarding the possibility of there being model railway products on board, has anyone seen confirmation of this? I would certainly hope that there are no Farish powered models in the consist. I shudder to think what 3 months of cycling Egyptian desert temperatures (between daytime highs and night-time lows) would do to any of the Farish gears...

Steve

17 minutes ago, stevea said:

Hi

The Ever Given saga has been very interesting to follow. Regarding the possibility of there being model railway products on board, has anyone seen confirmation of this? I would certainly hope that there are no Farish powered models in the consist. I shudder to think what 3 months of cycling Egyptian desert temperatures (between daytime highs and night-time lows) would do to any of the Farish gears...

Steve

Yes  Dapol announced on their website, at the start of the delay, that they had the 'oo gauge O&K Foster Yeoman hoppers and several 'O' gauge Railcar versions, caught on board. That's why this story is in the Dapol section. Only Dapol has publicly announced this.

3 hours ago, rembrow said:

Yes  Dapol announced on their website, at the start of the delay, that they had the 'oo gauge O&K Foster Yeoman hoppers and several 'O' gauge Railcar versions, caught on board. That's why this story is in the Dapol section. Only Dapol has publicly announced this.

There are eight hundred class 122s

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, atom3624 said:

That is how the whole sorry story of Ever Given started - strong winds in the Suez Canal pushed it aground.

I definitely hope not, but I'm sure they'll be extra careful this time around!!

Al.

If it gets wedged in the Channel, then that would be an achievement…

if they did, leave it there, build an A-Road to each side and build a road on top of it :mellow:

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

If it gets wedged in the Channel, then that would be an achievement…

if they did, leave it there, build an A-Road to each side and build a road on top of it :mellow:

Not so much the channel, but the approaches to Felixstowe at the entrance to Harwich harbour are a risk if you get off channel. The route from 'the sunk' anchorage, into the harbour, has to be regularly dredged to ensure the deep draught container vessels are able to navigate.

I remember a joke quoted by Sandy Toksvig on QI, about a ship's captain. It was that the Captain's officers noticed that the Captain always pulled out a pill box, when approaching any port, and checked inside. Nobody said anything, until the Captain was on his last voyage, when his Number One asked about the box, the Captain took it from his pocket and gave it to him. Number One looked inside and there was a dog eared piece of paper, which had written on it 'Port left,  Starboard right'

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, rembrow said:

Not so much the channel, but the approaches to Felixstowe at the entrance to Harwich harbour are a risk if you get off channel. The route from 'the sunk' anchorage, into the harbour, has to be regularly dredged to ensure the deep draught container vessels are able to navigate.

I remember a joke quoted by Sandy Toksvig on QI, about a ship's captain. It was that the Captain's officers noticed that the Captain always pulled out a pill box, when approaching any port, and checked inside. Nobody said anything, until the Captain was on his last voyage, when his Number One asked about the box, the Captain took it from his pocket and gave it to him. Number One looked inside and there was a dog eared piece of paper, which had written on it 'Port left,  Starboard right'

I have feeling that the Harwich Pilots are somewhat more competent than their opposite numbers in the Suez Canal  ;)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I have feeling that the Harwich Pilots are somewhat more competent than their opposite numbers in the Suez Canal  ;)

Is Harwich much busier and more successful then?