Potentially good news for those awaiting some Dapol products - Ever Given released from Suez Canal

1andrew1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hal Nail said:

Is Harwich much busier and more successful then?

Definitely successful as a port although there are only 5 cargo vessels in port at this moement (4 at Felixstowe and a one at Parkeston Quay, plus one that sailed just over an hour ago).  In 2019 Harwau icjh (Parkeston Quay was trghe fifth busiest passenger port (by passenger numbers)  in Britain while in 2020 Felixstowe was the ninth busiest port by total freight tonnage passing through.  However Felixstowe is the UK's busiest container port handling 48% of the UK's container trade and more thatn twice as many containers per annum as the second busiest (Southampton); Felixstowe is the eighth busiest container port in Europe.

So the Harwich pilots are kept pretty busy anda re obviously well used to dealing with large container ships going into and out of port. 

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

So the Harwich pilots are kept pretty busy anda re obviously well used to dealing with large container ships going into and out of port. 

I think its Harwich theres a little passenger ferry I went across from one side to the other once with my bike on the way aling the coast and I did feel a tad vulnerable looking up at the container ships!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Definitely successful as a port although there are only 5 cargo vessels in port at this moement (4 at Felixstowe and a one at Parkeston Quay, plus one that sailed just over an hour ago).  In 2019 Harwau icjh (Parkeston Quay was trghe fifth busiest passenger port (by passenger numbers)  in Britain while in 2020 Felixstowe was the ninth busiest port by total freight tonnage passing through.  However Felixstowe is the UK's busiest container port handling 48% of the UK's container trade and more thatn twice as many containers per annum as the second busiest (Southampton); Felixstowe is the eighth busiest container port in Europe.

I infer from your stats that although many of us assume that containers convey the major part of our incoming freight, the truth is that goods arriving by lorry amount to a far greater volume.

Does "port" just include shipping? Or are Heathrow / East Midlands etc also in there? 

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I infer from your stats that although many of us assume that containers convey the major part of our incoming freight, the truth is that goods arriving by lorry amount to a far greater volume.

Does "port" just include shipping? Or are Heathrow / East Midlands etc also in there? 

Not just lorries, the forgotten cargo activity is unaccompanied trailers, from Europe. Felixstowe and Harwich have daily RoRo services. Ipswich (the third port in the Haven Ports area accessed via Harwich harbour) used to have a daily service. The terminals primarily serve vessels bringing unaccompanied trailers, which are collected by cabs on arrival. There are daily services at each port with DFDS and Stena being main operators. Two of the DFDS vessels on the Rotterdam - Felixstowe route can carry up to 250 trailers. 

Edited by rembrow
Correction
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

I think its Harwich theres a little passenger ferry I went across from one side to the other once with my bike on the way aling the coast and I did feel a tad vulnerable looking up at the container ships!

There used to be a passanger ferry that went from Harwich to Shotley Gate (HMS Ganges) in the summer months. I lived there for a time when the married quarters where used by RAF Wattisham (and USAF Bentwaters / Woodbridge)

8 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

It's probably worth remembering that freight tonnages includes bulk shipments of raw materials and not just finished goods.  Imports of coal, iron ore, bauxite etc all weight considerably more per cubic metre than a container full of plastic toys from China. 

It has left Rotterdam this morning and is now on the very slow trip to Felixstowe, not being due there till Sunday.

I suppose it will be anchoring somewhere rather than going round in circles unless there is bad weather.

It is a lot lighter than before, draught was 15.6m and is now 10.4m.

it is of course possible it might get to Felixstowe early if a berth becomes available.

9 hours ago, KDG said:

There used to be a passanger ferry that went from Harwich to Shotley Gate (HMS Ganges) in the summer months. I lived there for a time when the married quarters where used by RAF Wattisham (and USAF Bentwaters / Woodbridge)

There is still a foot passenger ferry from Harwich to Sholtley, it also runs Harwich to Felixstowe.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bob83a said:

It has left Rotterdam this morning and is now on the very slow trip to Felixstowe, not being due there till Sunday.

I suppose it will be anchoring somewhere rather than going round in circles unless there is bad weather.

It is a lot lighter than before, draught was 15.6m and is now 10.4m.

it is of course possible it might get to Felixstowe early if a berth becomes available.

Listed for 0900 Tuesday on the berth.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

'Ports' means exactly that in the traditional use of the word, i.e. seaports.  The tonnage figure can be very misleading because it includes not just things arriving via ferries but also bulk commodities such as oil, coal, and iron ore.  Thus Harwich/Felixstowe tonnage figure reflects lack of bulk cargoes which is why Grimsby/Immingham comes second on the 2020 list followed by Milford Haven.  Dover is actually immediately above Felixstowe in the list with very little more tonnage.   Perhaps unexpectedly the top of the 2020 list was London, about 1 million tons ahead of Grimsby/Immingham although Grimsby /Immingham had beaten London in the previous year.

Number of containers hence tells a very different story.  What is more difficult to find is the number of cargo vessel movements but Dover was in the number 1 spot in 2019 followed by London and Grimsby/Immingham. (and Harwich/Felixstowe wasn't even in the top 10 which is in some respects indicative of the sheer size of the vessels involved in the container trade

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

36 minutes ago, definate maybe said:

According to Destin8 (the ports computer system) it is currently due to berth at 13.00 tomorrow but not sailing until Thursday afternoon as it has 2100 containers discharging in Felixstowe 

regards

Mark

The Port of Felixstowe website has the vessel due at Trinity Terminal at 1300 tomorrow. It may be that a space was available earlier than planned.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Kris said:

The arrival is causing some interest. Are all those people Dapol fans? :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-58071519

The amusing thing is that 'Ever Gentle' is berthed in the background of various of those BBC pictures and has been there for a couple of days.  Although its GRT is slightly smaller its overall dimensions are the same as 'Ever Given's.  So people had already seen a ship that big should they cared to have looked the other way:D