Potentially good news for those awaiting some Dapol products - Ever Given released from Suez Canal

1andrew1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Someone is waiting for his dinosaurs!

I thought it was an April Fool joke, but it's real.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-56596022

I would have thought that dinosaurs were a bit big for a shipping container. Do they have holes cut in the top?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 30/07/2021 at 14:16, atom3624 said:

That is how the whole sorry story of Ever Given started - strong winds in the Suez Canal pushed it aground.

I definitely hope not, but I'm sure they'll be extra careful this time around!!

Al.

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. But who was in charge of the ship when it ran aground, the captain or a pilot?

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

That is a very good point.

Surely the pilot advises the Captain, but the Captain still retains responsibility and overriding authority over 'decisions'?

Al.

May vary by country but my friend is a pilot off Brisbane. I was allowed on board once and the first thing he did was remind the captain that the pilot takes full control.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/08/2021 at 18:09, autocoach said:

This should free up a few more containers to help the logistics of shipping inflatable garden gnomes and much needed other items around the globe.....

The problem is that the containers are here, not in China and other manufacturing countries, where they are desperate for empty containers.

It says something about the lack of excitement that the pandemic has produced, that numerous people went to see a container carrier, probably the least attractive shipping type there is, arrive at Felixtowe. Such is celebrity!

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I assume General Average needs to be collected before release too.

No doubt they'll be waiting a while for empty lorries to move all those containers. And drivers for the lorries.

Edited by roythebus1
typo
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

May vary by country but my friend is a pilot off Brisbane. I was allowed on board once and the first thing he did was remind the captain that the pilot takes full control.

Well, that's what I thought. In which case, what is the basis of the Suez Canal company against Evergreen? It was their pilot in charge.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Well, that's what I thought. In which case, what is the basis of the Suez Canal company against Evergreen? It was their pilot in charge.

I think we are going off down a rabbit hole here but is a canal subject to maritime law or whatever contract is in place for users?

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

IIRC it was alleged that the vessel was sailing in excess of the max permitted speed in the canal, however it was in a convoy of vessels, so presumably the speed was dictated by the convoy speed which must have been set by the pilots or on shore control. The head of the Suez Canal authority advised that the responsibility for the vessels speed and staying within the max speed permitted, was the ship's master. So seems a case of 'heads we win tails you lose'.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

22 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

The problem is that the containers are here, not in China and other manufacturing countries, where they are desperate for empty containers.

It says something about the lack of excitement that the pandemic has produced, that numerous people went to see a container carrier, probably the least attractive shipping type there is, arrive at Felixtowe. Such is celebrity!

If they are so sought after why dont make more containers?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

If they are so sought after why dont make more containers?

Indeed as I understand it most containers are manufactured in China and a good many make just one trip to the west on the high seas with cargo before being sold on.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, frobisher said:

Indeed as I understand it most containers are manufactured in China and a good many make just one trip to the west on the high seas with cargo before being sold on.

Not so simple due to Brexit and Covid containers have ended up in the wrong places. We now have issues in clearing the ports and then transport. We have a container docked yesterday and can’t get any transport until early September. We receive 20/30 containers a week and have to endure this issue so imagine 1 container. In over 25 years of brining in export goods I have never known such a difficult situation 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, younGGuns7 said:

Not so simple due to Brexit and Covid containers have ended up in the wrong places. We now have issues in clearing the ports and then transport. We have a container docked yesterday and can’t get any transport until early September. We receive 20/30 containers a week and have to endure this issue so imagine 1 container. In over 25 years of brining in export goods I have never known such a difficult situation 

Hows it freightliners coming in/out of Harwich, Felixstowe etc are carrying so much fresh air, if there is such a backlog in port ?

(genuine question), but many of the freightliners Ive seen have been very empty this year.

(not my image/flickr).. 24th May 2021

90044 on Belstead Bank Ipswich

(not my image/flickr)26th July 2021

90003 at Ipswich

it does seem to be a shortage of ships (or at least the appearance presented by the shipping companies is that there is too high demand), but its not just a Brexit problem, its a global one..

Australia..

https://theloadstar.com/australian-shippers-hit-by-double-whammy-of-soaring-rates-and-tight-capacity/

and the lawyers have already pounced in the USA..

https://theloadstar.com/colluding-box-lines-are-exploiting-shippers-claims-bco-in-formal-complaint/

Apparently one Chinese operator just hired a brand new container ship for $300k per day, netting half the build cost of the ship in a few months..

Alphaliner reports that the 2021-built 5,295 post-panamax Orca 1 has achieved a staggering $300,000 a day from a Chinese forwarder for just 2-3 months. This could net the owners $27m, over half the $48m build cost of the ship – a colossal return.

Maersk will pay $38,000 a day for the 2013-built 3,421 teu Bomar Beijingfor 48 months and has committed $55m of revenue by charter party to owner Global Ship Lease, which purchased the vessel for just $25m in June.

CMA CGM has agreed a 60-month extension to its charter of the 2009-built 4,275 teu ALS Flora at $39,000 a day for a contracted revenue of $70m. To put this into context, four years ago the same panamax ship achieved a six-month charter with Zim at just $4,300 a day.

I’m going to check my loft if ive got some spare OO gauge containers and see if I can rent them out too… every little helps.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, norman said:

They should have cleared customs by now.

May have cleared customer but then another major issues is transport, we have had to resort to weekend acceptance as the last "Ever" vessel that discharged a couple of days ago wouldn't have been delivered to our yard until at least the 24th of August!

• Friendly/supportive 1