Potentially good news for those awaiting some Dapol products - Ever Given released from Suez Canal

1andrew1

On 07/08/2021 at 10:39, atom3624 said:

What did it change from ... ~$2k to $22k?

Was this possibly a typo ... then they realised it 'made sense' so kept it?

Al.

Supply and demand. The West were all climbing over eachother to get PPE for the Covid outbreak, and their Amazon orders as theyre stuck at home, all stuff thats made in the middle or Far East. Then China basically shut down, then we did, so the containers never went back. Shortage of containers means the highest payer gets it, its quite cut-throat. Then someone tries a handbrake turn in the middle of the Suez and makes things even worse.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Ruairidh Munro said:

Unfortunately, as with most things, it's not as simple as not enough containers or not enough transport/drivers to shift them.  There is also a huge backlog of containers being held at ports.  I understand that the UK government have/had something in the region of 10,000 containers of PPE 'stored' at various ports just sitting in containers.  This ties up both containers and space at ports.

Why dont they move them on, plenty of disued airfields even army bases they could be stored, rather than paying port fees.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Why dont they move them on, plenty of disued airfields even army bases they could be stored, rather than paying port fees.

Because then you have to move them somewhere - cost, hire lifting apparatus & resource to work them - cost, hire security - cost, maintain logs of where each container is - cost, before sending them to their destination.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2021 at 19:43, Captain Cuttle said:

If they are so sought after why dont make more containers?

I saw a number of container trains at Eastleigh last weekend and it looked to me as if a significant proportion of the boxes were very new and shiney - towards and  away from Southampton..

• RMweb Gold
On 13/08/2021 at 15:31, woodenhead said:

Because then you have to move them somewhere - cost, hire lifting apparatus & resource to work them - cost, hire security - cost, maintain logs of where each container is - cost, before sending them to their destination.

Unless they plan to unload them on the quayside, isnt that what they are going to have to do anyway if they plan to use the contents  ?

I’m assuming storage isnt cheap at a port… so i’m assuming some ports are going to announce nice profits this year off the back of this.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now into the Red Sea.  I'm intrigued that, having brought 18,300 containers to Europe (BBC figure), it seems to be returning empty.  

Aren't there containers that need to be taken back to the Far East, so the factories there can fill with product for our Christmas season?  Or are the comments above sufficient to explain why a vessel the size of the Ever Given is heading east empty?

And at the end of the day, was there anything for Dapol (or any other model railway manufacturer or retailer) on the Ever Given when it stuck in the Canal?

John S

7 hours ago, it's-er said:

And at the end of the day, was there anything for Dapol (or any other model railway manufacturer or retailer) on the Ever Given when it stuck in the Canal?

John S

Yes the O gauge Class 121 and oo gauge modern hopper which the TOPS code I cant remember. 

21 hours ago, it's-er said:

Aren't there containers that need to be taken back to the Far East, so the factories there can fill with product for our Christmas season?

Probably not, no.  As there's a shortage of containers generally, there's probably enough immediate demand here in Europe for any that are idle.  Why spend another few months floating unproductively in the Suez Canal to get them back to China - the Chinese make them, it is probably more commercial to step up production, especially if prices have risen dramatically.

22 hours ago, it's-er said:

Now into the Red Sea.  I'm intrigued that, having brought 18,300 containers to Europe (BBC figure), it seems to be returning empty.  

Aren't there containers that need to be taken back to the Far East, so the factories there can fill with product for our Christmas season?  Or are the comments above sufficient to explain why a vessel the size of the Ever Given is heading east empty?

John S

I believe the reason it sailed unloaded, is it is going into dry dock for repairs. It was examined at Port Said, after leaving the Suez Canal, and presumably some damage was found as it's seaworthiness certificate for the voyage to Europe required it to sail at a lower speed and some ports were removed from the itinery. 

The Dapol items stuck on board have been well documented and it was Dapol that posted info about delays to two new products  on their website, when the incident occurred. Both arrived with UK retailers last week with some expecting them early this week. They were the 'O' gauge Class 122 models, dcc ready. DC fitted and sound fitted models are fitted by Dapol in the UK so will follow. The other model was 10 versions of the O&K Foster Yeoman bogie hopper, which I have 6 on the way to me.