Fitting detachable etched brake gear to loco chassis

On 07/07/2021 at 18:12, Brassey said:

The usual reason for removable brake gear is to be able to drop the wheelsets out. Is this the case?

I note the OP has not responded with the motivation for making the brake gear removable after I speculated that it was to make the wheelsets removable too.  I have often contemplated making wheelsets that could drop out but usually there are springs in the way and the wipers that would both need to be removable too via some form of keeper plate. 

Nevertheless, having got a couple of chassis to a stage that need brake gear, I thought I would have a go at trying to make them removable myself.  The motivation for these, as both sets of wheels are now fixed, is to make the brake gear easier to paint.

After a trial fit, I calculated that I would need spacers of 1.6mm.  So now then the challenge; to cut 1.6mm spacer slithers from 0.9 o/d and 0.5mm i/d tube.  After various attempts, trying not to crush the tube, the one I managed to get right was promptly sacrificed to the carpet god!

So now a break with a cuppa and I think that I have come to the conclusion that the pfaff of painting brake gear in situ is less than the hassle of making it removable.  Unless there is some trick in cutting 1.6mm spacers down from micro tube that someone can show me.

Edited by Brassey

4 hours ago, Brassey said:

I note the OP has not responded with the motivation for making the brake gear removable after I speculated that it was to make the wheelsets removable too.  I have often contemplated making wheelsets that could drop out but usually there are springs in the way and the wipers that would both need to be removable too via some form of keeper plate. 

Nevertheless, having got a couple of chassis to a stage that need brake gear, I thought I would have a go at trying to make them removable myself.  The motivation for these, as both sets of wheels are now fixed, is to make the brake gear easier to paint.

After a trial fit, I calculated that I would need spacers of 1.6mm.  So now then the challenge; to cut 1.6mm spacer slithers from 0.9 o/d and 0.5mm i/d tube.  After various attempts, trying not to crush the tube, the one I managed to get right was promptly sacrificed to the carpet god!

So now a break with a cuppa and I think that I have come to the conclusion that the pfaff of painting brake gear in situ is less than the hassle of making it removable.  Unless there is some trick in cutting 1.6mm spacers down from micro tube that someone can show me.

Its on the cards, I bought some micro tube from Phil at Hobby Holidays,

I do take on board what some have said, which is to solder the tube through the frames, then solder them to the frames,and if necessary trim inside the frames to fit motors etc if required (saves very short sections)

Other things taking priority at the moment