British railways 1950s/60s Tank wagon drawings wanted!!

23 minutes ago, Dominic68003 said:

Hello! I'm new to RMweb and i'm looking for British Railways 1950s / 1960s tank wagon drawings. anyone have?? 

Do you mean tank wagons which were owned by British Railways - not many of those; or privately-owned ones that ran on BR - the vast majority?

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk

1 minute ago, Dominic68003 said:

Privately owned wagons

There have been numerous drawings published in the model press over the years - including from the period that you specify.

I think that you will have to be more specific.

CJI.

3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

There have been numerous drawings published in the model press over the years - including from the period that you specify.

I think that you will have to be more specific.

CJI.

Honestly, any PO tank wagon drawings will do. Being more specific though, drawings of tank wagons owned by ESSO or Shell built for Class A and B Liquids would be nice.

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Dominic68003 said:

Honestly, any PO tank wagon drawings will do. Being more specific though, drawings of tank wagons owned by ESSO or Shell built for Class A and B Liquids would be nice.

They've been in model railway magazines since forever.

Railway Modeller 1957 October, they were featured there when they were new!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Anyone who is interested in this topic and who has not yet got a copy of the volume by R. Tourret may wish to know that brand new / remaindered stock of this book is currently being offered by PostScript Books at just £14.99 (pub. price £33.00); see:

https://www.psbooks.co.uk/Petroleum-Rail-Tank-Wagons

Tony

(No connection other than as a long term and very satisfied customer)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyone who is interested in this topic and who has not yet got a copy of the volume by R. Tourret may wish to know that brand new / remaindered stock of this book is currently being offered by PostScript Books at just £14.99 (pub. price £33.00); see:

https://www.psbooks.co.uk/Petroleum-Rail-Tank-Wagons

Tony

(No connection other than as a long term and very satisfied customer)

I picked up a copy last month in City Bookshop of Norwich, just £7.99 remaindered.

The text is dense and I don't think I will ever cope with reading it BUT the book contains hundreds of photographs and diagrams and is worth getting for just these.

- Richard.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

You might find the diagram books helpful.

You can find many of these on the web site of the Barrowmore model railway group, for example:

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/BRBDocuments/BRPOStockP2Issue.pdf

- Richard.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/07/2021 at 11:15, scottystitch said:

Oil on the Rails by Alan Coppin also has a a good number of line drawings of various tank wagons.

Best

Scott.

I have just bought a copy of Coppin's book - it is going to be an easier read than Tourret, and as you say there is a selection of drawings for possible model making. A good buy.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold

Just to muddy the waters further for you (!), as well as new stock built in the 50s and 60s there was, if you are concerned with building a layout of that period, a lot of older stock, mostly without vacuum or air brakes, still in service. 

• RMweb Gold
Just now, The Johnster said:

Just to muddy the waters further for you (!), as well as new stock built in the 50s and 60s there was, if you are concerned with building a layout of that period, a lot of older stock, mostly without vacuum or air brakes, still in service.  It is probably worth doing the research if you are concerned with accuaracy as many of the RTR offerings are generic vehicles in different liveries, when in reality there were all sorts of detail differences.  Some of the older Hornby, Triang, and Hornby Dublo items have completely ficticious liveries as well.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Just to muddy the waters further for you (!), as well as new stock built in the 50s and 60s there was, if you are concerned with building a layout of that period, a lot of older stock, mostly without vacuum or air brakes, still in service. 

I am hoping the OP comes back and tells us what he has settled on.

- Richard.