3 link coupling hooks in OO

High everyone

Where's the best place to go to get an etch or pack of brass coupling hooks for standard 3 link coupling. 

I would prefer something robust and up to the job not super light weight and delicate. I've got plenty of chain for the links its just the hooks I need.

Thanks Steve

Rumney Models.

B.94 Wagon Coupling Hooks – £1.50

Etched in 0.012″ brass they are designed to be folded double for a prototypical thickness. There are 14 pairs on the fret which is sufficient for 7 wagons.

Gordon A

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi London Tram,DSC_0912.JPG.c376dfd868d01a1674c9ccbc48e2c344.JPG

I just bought some brass chain of the right size from my local model shop and cut 3 links of it when needed. Mine are just for show but it should be strong enough to be used to pull trains with. You can see the chain I bought on this crane I restored. They did have a larger size which you can just see on the crane at the bottom of the picture.

I do have some lovely 3 link couplings of unknown origin which have the tensioning/locking bar in the middle. I would love to get some more of these as they look superb. They have come with several models I have bought second hand so do not know who made them. You can see them in the picture on the front of one of my Triang DMU's below.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just for general guidance, there are basically 3 types, '3-link', simple chain couplings suitable for older wagons and industrial internal user, 'Instanter', a GW development that became a standard fitting on new goods and mineral stock from the late 30s on, and 'Screw', the type you mention the tightening bar on.  These have been used on passenger stock since Liverpool and Manchester days and continue in use where auto couplings are not used.  I used Smiths model couplings in the days when I used scale couplings (my eyesight and hand steadiness are no longer up to the task and I have 'reverted' to tension locks in my dotage); these are available in all 3 types, slightly overscale for ease of handling, and strong enough to cope with pretty much any load. 

Smaller screw couplings can be used to chain down loads on bolster wagons.  I seem to remember somebody producing working screw couplings in 4mm that could actually be tightened back in the day, but they were in brass and would presumably not work once you painted them... 

• Informative/Useful 1

Shackles?

Roxey do them.

https://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/category/63/4mm-scale-etched-accessories-by-roxey-mouldings/

Don't forget though. Many RTR models are starting to get proper couplings provided as standard. One of the more welcoming aspects of modern RTR in my opinion.

It's the tension lock couplings that need fitting rather than the scale ones. Examples are the Heljan GWR tank locos.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/171919/heljan_1303_class_1361_0_6_0st_1365_in_br_black_with_early_emblem/stockdetail.aspx

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, Londontram said:

Where's the best place to go to get an etch or pack of brass coupling hooks for standard 3 link coupling. 

If you want prototypical looks and don't mind 2 minutes soldering try Ambis Hooks. They can also be used as single layer. N/S as opposed to brass. They do loads of different types. This is their LMS relieved hook fitted with a Rumney models screw coupling.

GedgeSlotMkI.jpg.bab598ac234e19ba02ef35aabec7c51f.jpg

Ambis are at:

http://www.ambisengineering.co.uk/  The propieter only deals via email for 4mm components.

Prices from earlier in the month.

Coupling Hooks

CH1-2 R RCH Hooks (24) in 2 types N £3.50

CH2 R Early BR - 12 hooks in 2 types N £1.70

CH2-2 R Early BR Hooks (24) N £3.40

CH3 R POW/Victorian - 12 hooks in 2 types C £1.70

CH3-2 R POW/Victorian pattern hooks (24) C £3.40

CH4 R Late BR/UIC - 12 hooks in 2 types N £1.80

CH5 R Screw (steam era) - 12 hooks in 2 types A £1.80

CH5-2 R Screw (steam era) - 24 hooks in 2 types A £3.40

CH6 R LMS type with relieved sides - 12 hooks in 2 types G £1.80

CH7 R Early Screw coupling hooks -12 hooks in 2 types C £2.00

If it has to be Brass try Rumney models and search the page for B.94 hooks or:

http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/wagon-detailing

Stenson Models do a innovative etch for instanters with plenty of hooks.

https://www.stensonmodels.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/P1070633s.jpg

Usual disclaimer.

• Informative/Useful 3

Thanks for all your help everyone.

The ones Gordon mentioned the fold up ones I'm sure I've had before and got on well with them so will put them on the short list but will have a good look at all of them.

Steve