JMRI & Rails Connect decoders

Steven B

• RMweb Premium

I've recently bought six of Rails Connect Next18 decoders to fit in the dummy half of Dapol class 142 (bought in bulk they work out £5 less per decoder than an equivalent Zimo - not to be sniffed at when all I'm doing it turning the lights on and off).

The decoder reports Manufacturer (CV8) - 36 - DCC Concepts, but with an unknown version (CV7) of 21.

Has anyone found a matching decoder type in JMRI. I'm using 4.22 and whilst there are several DCC Concepts decoders listed I'm not sure if any are a good match for the rebranded ones they've produced for Rails.

I want to make use of some of the features in the manual referring to function remapping and adjusting the brightness and it'd be easier done through JMRI rather than editing individual CVs - if there isn't an equivalent I'm going to look at creating the decoder file for JMRI myself.

EDIT:

After a quick comparison of the manuals it would appear that the RoS decoders use the CV settings as the DCC Concepts Zen Blue decoders (or a Zen Black minus the ABC functionality).

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

At a basic level, its likely to be fine with either of the decoder types you mention, because the function mapping stuff will be the same.  

If you decide to sort out a file which does identify on version 21, then copy one of the existing files and edit it.  If looking for a "family name" for the decoder, suggest you prefix it with "OEM", so it might be OEM-Rails, thus someone arriving in the future will recognise it as an OEM product, produced by one maker for another brand.   And, if you do a specific file, upload it back to the JMRI project to extend things for others.  

- Nigel

• Thanks 1