00 scale road vehicles from non-railway sources

ianmacc

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

It was made by Oxford diecast I think. Their current model in normal version may even be the same casting.

(Looking for a distraction in the middle of the football lol!)

It was not made by Oxford Diecast. In fact it is more accurate than the OD one as the bonnet is the correct length. The OD one is about 1mm too short.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

There is a thread in this area of RMweb titled 'Looking for suitable OO vehicles 1930s', which brought very useful responses. It was a year ago, and is now 4 pages back.

BernardTPM listed various kit makers, some of whom have strong model railway links e.g. Springside, but others such as DG Models, R Parker and John Day who aren't specifically railway related.

Here is a link to the relevant page:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/152610-looking-for-suitable-oo-vehicles-1930s/

John S

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

That Foden half-cab was a weird one to do (as was the gas turbine!), but I did have them plus the S24 once (sadly lost when I moved along with too many other things). I think there was a 'normal' full-width version of the same basic cab which would have been a possible conversion from the Lone Star cab.

That was the S51, as converted here. I used an RTI 6x4 chassis turned back-to-front, with Langley whitemetal details and plasticard and brass shim for the cab conversion.

P1170045-001.JPG

S51M.JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

I happen to have open a link to D.G. models, who make lovely OO cars, vans and motor cycle combinations. I have a number of his cars and vans, bought second hand at Harburn Hobbies here in Edinburgh some years ago, and they are very cute indeed. 

Here is the link link to his website: no connection other than delighted owner of some of his cars and vans (click on the 'railway kits OO gauge' section for the full range).

http://www.autocraft.plus.com/page2.html

John S

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 hours ago, it's-er said:

There is a thread in this area of RMweb titled 'Looking for suitable OO vehicles 1930s', which brought very useful responses. It was a year ago, and is now 4 pages back.

BernardTPM listed various kit makers, some of whom have strong model railway links e.g. Springside, but others such as DG Models, R Parker and John Day who aren't specifically railway related.

Here is a link to the relevant page:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/152610-looking-for-suitable-oo-vehicles-1930s/

John S

it seems that what's needed is less a thread, which is a good source of transient info. But rather a list of the information collated from the thread, so that it can be referenced easily.

A bit like the Henk of Holland website for 1:76-1:72 military models. Which  is quite a useful resource, although it's hard to track down what you want amoungst the huge range of information, of which most is very military focused for obvious reasons.

https://henk.fox3000.com/index2.htm

On a different matter, 

KWtrams appear to have the ABS (plus a few others) range on their website, and all stated as in stock.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, otherplanet said:

it seems that what's needed is less a thread, which is a good source of transient info. But rather a list of the information collated from the thread, so that it can be referenced easily.

A bit like the Henk of Holland website for 1:76-1:72 military models. Which  is quite a useful resource, although it's hard to track down what you want amoungst the huge range of information, of which most is very military focused for obvious reasons.

https://henk.fox3000.com/index2.htm

On a different matter, 

KWtrams appear to have the ABS (plus a few others) range on their website, and all stated as in stock.

That’s exactly what is needed. 

• Like 2

Well, on Henks website you can find also the (expensive) models from MILMOD.

These are mostly former BW models, now made in resin.

Some of these kits are usable for this topic.

My favourit is more RTI with his nice trucks.

modelldoc

• Like 3

Airfix did a range of 1:72 polyethylene miltary models years ago, great thing about them is they survived, plenty about, and cheap so I plan to have a go at super detailing this one soon, new wheels, windows, paint job etc

20210713_011020.jpg.b4a06037402d8550dbf8aa11409043e1.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Airfix did a range of 1:72 polyethylene miltary models years ago, great thing about them is they survived, plenty about, and cheap so I plan to have a go at super detailing this one soon, new wheels, windows, paint job etc

I'd forgotten those models. I'm sure I've got several of them in a box somewhere in the loft along with loads of their model soldiers and things like the pontoon bridge and coastal defence fort!

I certainly had the Antar tank transporter but the others I had were mainly tanks & various guns (SP & towed), from memory.

• Like 2

Gaugemaster repackaged some key ring models by Kerico of Australia in the 90s. A VW type 1 minibus and an Austin FX4 taxicab. Sold them as 00 scale but they were slightly smaller at almost H0. They were in the plastic box with card insert style similar to contemporary Herpa and Wiking. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, locomad2 said:

You may have difficulty getting paint and glue to stick on this type of plastic. This was the problem with the Airfix soldier figures. The paint might stick initially but flaked off if you played with them.  The plastic flexed but the paints didn't! I expect that somewhere, possibly in the wargames world, there may be techniques for overcoming this and recommendations about which paints grip best.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

You may have difficulty getting paint and glue to stick on this type of plastic. This was the problem with the Airfix soldier figures. The paint might stick initially but flaked off if you played with them.  The plastic flexed but the paints didn't! I expect that somewhere, possibly in the wargames world, there may be techniques for overcoming this and recommendations about which paints grip best.

Ah yes also the bane of the Airfix civilian’s kit that formed the populace of most model railways in the 60s!!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

There was something called banana oil that when used as an undercoat made the paint stick. I understand the current option is a coat of PVA.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

There was something called banana oil that when used as an undercoat made the paint stick. I understand the current option is a coat of PVA.

You can buy paint designed to adhere and flex for car bumpers etc. from places like Halfords. I wonder if spraying with a can of that first then painting over with the usual humbrol or revell etc would work? Assuming it doesn’t react. I think pva would make a detail-hostile coating. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Probably 1:76 like their other military vehicles at the time were. Several were the same prototypes as that they did in styrene kit form, but some, like the Antar, were only done in polythene.

No they were noticeably larger than the kit versions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 13/07/2021 at 10:21, phil_sutters said:

It can be a problem however I have a few centurion tanks from same range which I painted humbrol gloss green when I was about 10, the paint stayed on, later repainted with a Matt bronze green from the authentic range it still looks very good, I replaced the gun with a lolly pop stick and some tape for the muzzle brake. 

I also painted the complete Waterloo set of figures again with some gloss paint it's still on as long as you are careful handing it should not fall off, that applies more to the older humbrol not the c$!p modern stuff.

Old unopened humbrol paints fetch good prices on car boots, toy fairs, more than modern stuff

• Like 3

Weekend market found these modern cars which look about 1:72, modern cars tend to be bigger, however still within loading gauge. They are remote control using 2.4 ghz and come with simple controller20210714_181756.jpg.026bb19f9850dc96ac7f9fd7c7b5fd77.jpg

At about £5 good value won't be long before driving them around layout just need some driving practice 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, locomad2 said:

Weekend market found these modern cars which look about 1:72, modern cars tend to be bigger, however still within loading gauge. They are remote control using 2.4 ghz and come with simple controller20210714_181756.jpg.026bb19f9850dc96ac7f9fd7c7b5fd77.jpg

At about £5 good value won't be long before driving them around layout just need some driving practice 

Hi. If that’s a matchbox Rolls Royce in the leading wagon then that BMW X5 is more like 1/64 scale I.e akin to hot wheels etc. so noticeably too big. However, the idea of pootling a car round my layout by radio control appeals greatly so good call :)

• Like 2