00 scale road vehicles from non-railway sources

ianmacc

7 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

I haven’t seen an update on the car trains project for a good while. Progressing well?

I had, like many others, I expect, a bit of a hit to my modelling mojo as the weirdness of lockdown 1 sunk in, and I also wasn't furloughed or working at home. 

It wasn't for quite a while that I started to get a feel for anything recreational or creative; then at some point I did sort out an interim payload for two trains' worth, principally using die-cast Mini pick-ups and vans (photos of this sub-project went on Facebook).   I also sold a quantity of Thames vans (the Anglia based 105E) to a fellow Waverley route modeler; I've generally used any available die-cast as placeholders - in this instance, until the Minix Anglias were available in quantity.

A bit mysteriously, I couldn't find the bulk of the Austin 1100s for ages, and then they suddenly appeared last week, all 44 of the type, which has kick-started the project once again, and as I write, they, along with sundry Vivas, Morris Oxfords and Austin 1800s are crowded on the workbench for detailing and reuniting with their glazing.

Sorry for the thread hijack!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Hongwell ? Ford Capri and Series Landy, really like this manufacturer, better detail, looks the part, compare Landy to all others and this is best for both quality and price

The Hongwell Cararama models are well done but you have to watch the scales as they vary a lot more than you might expect, from about 1:61 to 1:77.

2 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

its about 48mm.

My initial thought was that it might be smaller but I've just checked and a real mk1 clio is 3709mm long, an original A110 is 3850, a lot smaller than you'd think from looking at it

So about 1:80 scale, but it is interesting that it does reflect the relative narrowness of the older car. A lot of 'toy' diecasts are made too wide.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

I emailed them and they said they would pass my details on to a different dept, that was the last I heard, I need to chase it up! Thanks for the order

Richard

I do hope you hear from them. They seem to be making some of their models in UK liveries now. The Mk. II Transit ambulance in St. Johns Ambulance livery and the Sprinter van in TfL buses livery (The same as the CMNL one but the correct SWB model).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I notice from their advert. in the latest BRM that SR (Shedring) Hobbies are stocking Tiny Hong Kong models. If that is already common knowledge hereabouts I am a bit late to post this!

He has a very limited supply and I don't think that he is an official importer. His prices are not unreasonable, comparable to the prices of the Hong Kong traders.

• Like 1

Received today my Peugeot 205 and Volkswagen Golf mark two. Very good. Look about 1/80 so can get away with 00 unlike 1/87. Shown next to similar cars for comparison. Will have to make two posts as file size constraints.

They don’t seem to be GTI spec and look like standard specification? For me and most railway modellers that’s a huge plus point as they are more ubiquitous!

The chain is attached to the tow bar and prises off easily. 

Windows are cast solid but this  doesn’t look too bad. Just sneed number-plates. 

3EF9C582-72C9-4070-AA9C-81B5D4EAEC0C.jpeg

9597B28F-93A9-4C79-9612-6D7C0BB97709.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc
Typo
  • Like 3

The 205 looks better as the Mk.2 Golf should really be bigger than the Mk.1 rather than vice versa. Having said that, put towards the back of a scene, perhaps parked down a side road or cul-de-sac (not next to a Mk.1) it would probably look alright.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

56 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

The 205 looks better as the Mk.2 Golf should really be bigger than the Mk.1 rather than vice versa. Having said that, put towards the back of a scene, perhaps parked down a side road or cul-de-sac (not next to a Mk.1) it would probably look alright.

I agree.

not helped by the fact the Oxford golf sits on agricultural tractor tyres!! 

I reckon the mark two golf is not much bigger than H0. Estimate 1/82 or so 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Something I use a lot, put the 1:80-87 scale vehicles in the background and you get a sense of depth, I used this technique in military modeling using an excellent range of vehicles from Micromodels ? HO scale plastic models from Austria 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Something I use a lot, put the 1:80-87 scale vehicles in the background and you get a sense of depth, I used this technique in military modeling using an excellent range of vehicles from Micromodels ? HO scale plastic models from Austria 

Another effective technique is to paint undersize models in light colours, and oversize ones dark, it's an optical illusion that works to a certain extent.

(The Austrian military range would be Roco Minitanks)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone mentioned the cars from Yat Ming and Real-X. Yat Ming has produced a few cars in 1/72 scale including a Jaguar X-type. Real-X are very good, far superior to other oriental models IMHO and the level of detail is amazing. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Agree 2

Received the Renault ; and the BMW E30 this morning from Z cars. 

The Renault 4 is probably near 1/76 At about 4.7cm or so.

Sadly the E30 which I would have preferred is barely H0 by the looks of it. 

Heads up for buyers. 

Looks like I have three unusual 00 cars and a nice key ring anyway! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by ianmacc
Added key ring pic !
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Received the Renault ; and the BMW E30 this morning from Z cars. 

The Renault 4 is probably near 1/76 At about 4.7cm or so.

Sadly the E30 which I would have preferred is barely H0 by the looks of it. 

Heads up for buyers. 

Looks like I have three unusual 00 cars and a nice key ring anyway! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have a “Lucky Cornish Pisky” on my key ring too! 

steve

• Friendly/supportive 2

26 minutes ago, steve1 said:

I have a “Lucky Cornish Pisky” on my key ring too! 

steve

It belonged to my late grandad, was bought on a railway holiday, and dates back to when the Cornish branch lines were still open! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

Confirmation the Renault 4 is a good fit for 00. Just need plates. 

It is the version that was made until circa 1983 so good for up to the early 90s although it was always a bit of a left field car in this country. 

6BDAD32C-1D2D-4DD8-A381-0682715F5178.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2021 at 19:33, PhilJ W said:

In Tess Coe's today, Hot Wheels '2020 Ram1500 Rebel' US pick up truck looks very close to 00 scale.

I've checked this against the Matchbox 2016 Nissan Titan Warrior which is the same vehicle with a different badge. They are virtually identical and I can confirm that the Nissan is 1/76 scale. (Prototype is 19 feet long, model is 3 inches long.

27 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Is the Renault 4 still available?

Hi. Not sure if the gentleman on here has it but a google search reveals plenty for sale. It’s a decent model too. The 1978 onwards variant I think looking at Wikipedia

• Thanks 1

On 15/07/2021 at 12:09, Johann Marsbar said:

They were another range that Poundland used to stock, though I'm sure they were marketed as Cararama on the boxes.  I picked up 9 different Landrovers at the time!

I remember seeing dozens of the mark one Ford Capri in the Macclesfield Poundland back in the 2000s! It was during a gap in the hobby so I passed up on them. Bearing in mind that, unlike many cararama models, they were fetching up to £10 each on eBay until the Oxford diecast one arrived I missed out on a “nice little earner” there! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

I remember seeing dozens of the mark one Ford Capri in the Macclesfield Poundland back in the 2000s! It was during a gap in the hobby so I passed up on them. Bearing in mind that, unlike many cararama models, they were fetching up to £10 each on eBay until the Oxford diecast one arrived I missed out on a “nice little earner” there! 

Poundland often had batches of Hongwell/Cararama models limited to two or three types. My local Poundland had a stack of Transit vans and minibuses so I bought a batch of each and sold them on for a small profit. They also had a delivery of the H0 scale American trucks which were very useful cannibalised for bodies and other components such as light bars.

• Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Poundland often had batches of Hongwell/Cararama models limited to two or three types. My local Poundland had a stack of Transit vans and minibuses so I bought a batch of each and sold them on for a small profit. They also had a delivery of the H0 scale American trucks which were very useful cannibalised for bodies and other components such as light bars.

They do a packet of freelance Chinese made sports cars at about 1/72 (if you can call freelance a “scale”) at ten for a pound. 

Good to populate a child’s train set or a line of car transporters. Or if you’re on a low income. They are really very poor models for serious purposes but at that price (10p!) I’ve taken a few packets over the last year or so to dress up some used carflats I was selling. 

61ACDAD8-1AA0-484B-88B8-EA9928F492AF.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc
Pic. Also I reached 1000 points !
  • Like 2