00 scale road vehicles from non-railway sources

ianmacc

2 hours ago, DGO said:

I was looking at the forks thinking the same, most fork lifts only have forks big enough for a standard pallet  1200 x 800 mm in Europe 1200 x 1000 mm in the USA, there are larger longer forks but these tend to be on the container handling machines which are much bigger overall 

The forks are plastic, so trimming them shouldn’t be a problem.

steve

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

It has probably already been mentioned but some of the short run plastic kit 1/72 scale military vehicle producers from Eastern Europe, like Military Wheels and Ace, often have useful subjects.  Military Wheels have the Gaz AA and AAA in their range (as do a couple of other companies), just turn them into RHD and they are perfect as Ford AA and AAA trucks, likewise Ace have recently released a 1930s/40s German Ford G917, which with only a little work can pass for a UK made one, as used by the LFB and others.

Edited by wamwig
  • Like 2

If anyone wants an unusual vehicular talking point on their layout, how about a Tatra 87 Cabrio? Attack also do the saloon version and a number of other potentially useful vehicles!

Tatra 87 cabrio.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I was in Tess Coes earlier and found a couple of the current Matchbox models that look very close to 1/76 scale. The first (in the special UK range is a LWB Land Rover Defender estate that looks to be very close to 00 scale. The other, in the standard series is a 1975 Chevrolet Caprice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson

M&S once sold a series of keyrings including a Reliant Regal van, Inspector Morse Jaguar and a little grey Fergie. All were OOish.

698ACC60-C728-4D99-826F-0A295015EBD0.jpeg.30c73428d425cf8491e80845ba2152e9.jpeg

StaySafe

1 hour ago, Jack Benson said:

M&S once sold a series of keyrings including a Reliant Regal van, Inspector Morse Jaguar and a little grey Fergie. All were OOish.

698ACC60-C728-4D99-826F-0A295015EBD0.jpeg.30c73428d425cf8491e80845ba2152e9.jpeg

StaySafe

I got one of the Reliant regal van's. At the time i did try to bye one from M&S but they where sold out. Think they where around £4.00. A few years later went to Wilkos there they where £1.00 each.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Jag was very near to HO scale, there was also a three pack of Jaguar cars from the same source, The Mk. II, an E type and an XK120. The E type was much the same scale as the Mk. II but the XK120 was just a tad under 1/76 scale, about 1/78 scale. The Ferguson grey tractor was nearer to 1/64 scale.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

Was the Jaguar set from the same source as the Gaugemaster 1/87 range?  Most are listed on the Hattons site, but the XK120 is missing.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklistdatabase/1000417/1000591/1000765/0/gaugemaster_ho_gauge_1_87_scale_cars/prodlist.aspx

No, the Jaguars are diecast and the Gaugemaster ones are plastic.

• RMweb Premium
On 07/08/2021 at 18:49, PhilJ W said:

I was in Tess Coes earlier and found a couple of the current Matchbox models that look very close to 1/76 scale. The first (in the special UK range is a LWB Land Rover Defender estate that looks to be very close to 00 scale. The other, in the standard series is a 1975 Chevrolet Caprice.

Placing the Land Rover against the similar Oxford model it is about 1/72 scale.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I found this site in the US:  Tin Soldier  The models are 1:72 and there is, of course, international postage but they are relatively cheap.  The kits are white metal but rough when compared with what we in this country have become used to.  I have recently completed these Rolls Royces which took quite a lot of work, filing to clean up and thin down (eg rooves) and replacing things like windscreens with some I made from scratch.

Rollers-x-4_C9518.jpg.dff82b0ae5d83344cab9e8a61085169d.jpg

You might also look at KW Trams who are in South London.  They have Anbrico and ABS kits, some of which go back to the days of EAMES.  Don't let Ebay tell you these are 'rare'!!  

ANother point to be aware of - I recently ordered from Scalelink and a note in my packet said he is retiring in August 2023, so if you want any vehicles, don't delay.  Most of the road vehicles are in these two sub-menus.  Don't forget to click on 'View all' at the top of each lot or you may miss extra pages.

1448115858_Screenshot2023-03-20at18_28_38.png.06668858428e382347850dad84d01a20.png

Could be an expensive read!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There are many military kits in 1/72 scale that can be used on 00 scale layouts. Rodin produce a WW1 Vauxhall staff car and ambulance and a 'B' type bus. Also several producers make models of the Russian GAZ-AA two ton truck which is a copy of the Ford AA two ton truck. The slight overscale is not noticeable as the vehicles back then were small in comparison to modern vehicles.

Just bought a job lot of run of the mill H0 scale cars for a what seems high 17.54 plus postage. Next to the minixHA Viva is what looks like one of those already impossible to find 1/72 resin Lada Rivas from I think Hungary. These were £30 when available so I’ve taken a punt. I can always relist and cut  my losses if not…

970F08DD-2C5F-4488-AA55-DB9B0BA0A04F.jpeg

CE6EE06D-27CD-4D5C-90CA-E8771CE53B7F.jpeg

• Like 1

Does your Lada have any markings underneath? I have a red one just like it but made by Rivarossi of Italy. (the wheels on mine were missing and have been replaced by some from my spares supply). The base is marked "FIAT 124 MADE IN ITALY. I think your Lada may either be one of these, or a copy of it. Rivarossi also made a Fiat tractor unit, supposedly"HO", but actually 1/76. Both turn up occasionally at very high prices, but always worth trawling through the oddments boxes at toyfairs and model railway shows, I had two Fiat trucks, with trailers, for a pound each a few years ago. One of them got modified somewhat to a typical Italian drawbar outfit of the period.

riv f 124.JPG

rivarossi fiat 124.JPG

riv fiat truck.JPG

frizinghelli fiat.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Scale3D have a new fork-lift out. https://www.scale3d.co.uk/collections/new-figures/products/forklift-1-76-scale  Their products are excellent. I have a couple of their 00 scale wee early Fordson tractors and the detail is terrific on such tiny tractors. https://www.scale3d.co.uk/products/copy-of-old-farm-tractor-1?variant=43054178042076

They also do a soft top lwb Landrover, albeit with solid windows, it would seem from the CAD image, and a quad whatever (I saw the objection to 'bike' as that is a two-wheeled vehicle.)

Their figure range includes a number of vehicle drivers and passengers.

Most of their non-wargames ranges are available in the usual model railway scales. So HO scale drivers might be useful inside 00 vehicles if space is limited.

A satisfied customer.

Regrettably WD Models of Bangor, who specialized in WW1 1/76th models, has ceased trading. They had useful, highly detailed trucks, military motorbikes, horse-drawn wagons and a nice Crossley staff car. I may have drawn attention to this supplier before. It is sad to see him unable to make a go of things anymore.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The Hillman Imp is also a Minix. The Volkswagen looks to be about 1/80 as is the car (FIAT?) to its right.

Yes they’re actually a range of around H0/00 just listed as H0. It’s the minix viva at 1/76 I used to gauge the size of what appears to be the Fiat 124. Had no idea there was such a model and if it’s a 124 it’s as good as identical to the early Lada anyway so it will eventually receive a repaint and improvement the same as fodenway’s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

The Fiat 124 is just a little bigger than an HA Viva, though smaller than an HB, so that does look about right.

Just checked the model against full-size dimensions, and found that the Fiat 124 had a wheelbase of 95.25", overall length 158". Using a 4mm scale rule, the model comes out at 100" WB and 164" OA, so slightly larger. The HA Viva, for comparison, was only a quarter of an inch shorter in real life.

• Like 2

The simple way to scale 4mm is to use the prototype's length* in inches and divide by 3 to give the correct model mm. Most of the Minix range are pretty accurate.

* You do have to watch out for differences cause by over-riders, etc. on some designs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Arrived and yes it’s a Rivarossi Fiat 124. Looks closer to 1/72 than 1/76 and an odd scale for a H0 scale manufacturer.

A coat of beige or similar and some better wheels and it’s a Lada to all intents and purposes on my layout! Assuming not sacrilege to modify a scarce car! 

The VW is a Wiking model at 1/87.. The interesting one is the Fiat 850 in a very faded orange. Never seen one before. Very much 1/87 as it looks tiny! 

4C6F1E6E-6318-4D07-BC40-435E688D7DF8.jpeg

55A0FD82-381B-4008-8B95-DF0EEC8D3F1D.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc
More info
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Arrived and yes it’s a Rivarossi Fiat 124. Looks closer to 1/72 than 1/76 and an odd scale for a H0 scale manufacturer.

A coat of beige or similar and some better wheels and it’s a Lada to all intents and purposes on my layout! Assuming not sacrilege to modify a scarce car! 

The VW is a Wiking model at 1/87.. The interesting one is the Fiat 850 in a very faded orange. Never seen one before. Very much 1/87 as it looks tiny! 

4C6F1E6E-6318-4D07-BC40-435E688D7DF8.jpeg

55A0FD82-381B-4008-8B95-DF0EEC8D3F1D.jpeg

A nice find, and the Fiat 850 coupe is indeed unusual - any clue as to the maker?

If it helps make up your mind as to the fate of the Rivarossi 124, there's one on ebay right now for £73.03, item 384859067220.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, fodenway said:

A nice find, and the Fiat 850 coupe is indeed unusual - any clue as to the maker?

If it helps make up your mind as to the fate of the Rivarossi 124, there's one on ebay right now for £73.03, item 384859067220.

Hi. I’ll take a better picture of it tomorrow. All the cars have glue on the wheels so they’ve been on a transporter or similar which has detracted from their value. 

I am unsure about the Fiat now. I’m not a collector I’m a modeller but I’m loathe to “ruin” a rarity. The wheels are shot anyway so replacing them wouldn’t make any difference. I may do a light improvement like I did with the Lima Fiat 131 a few pages back. Trouble is it would look rather good beige with rust spots on the sills and arches! 

EF63D77C-89BE-40F9-9297-924CD320ACE2.jpeg

Edited by ianmacc
Pic
  • Like 2