00 scale road vehicles from non-railway sources

ianmacc

42 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

I found these keyring's whilst browsing my diecast wholesalers website, my personal favourite is the Clio Williams with its gold wheels and bonnet bulge! I have pictured it next to a 1:76 corsa for scale (bare in mind that a 2010- Corsa would be bigger than a Clio from the 90's).

There are 4 available cars (205, golf, a110) https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/search?q=z+models

IMG_3748.jpg.93612e884b3fac818a1cb60bb8fc74d1.jpgIMG_3753.jpg.2fa9d2f665ad0f8e9c5f55703441a0b8.jpg

Richard

I’ve just snapped up a 205!! Great call. 

They look about Japanese H0 scale 1/80. Definitely a bit bigger than 1/87 so careful placing and that 205 will mark my layout as late 80s early 90s like a beacon! 

Edited to say also got a golf as it’s the mark two not the Oxford offering that is a mark one! Cost two lots of postage oh well.., 

Edited by ianmacc
Golf
  • Like 2

Don't forget the Matchbox range of kits 1:76, one of my favourites is the Diamond T and trailer here in civilian use towing a matchbox bulldozer 20210714_194144.jpg.45aae3a51738ee456703bbe82cad5767.jpg

Did see some rare pathe film coverage of building post war circa 1947, definitely a diamond T in American drab colours used on a building site

Bit rarer but up to a few years ago loads about for a £1 these Japanese kits 1:72 20210714_193826.jpg.9293f0d51d30ee65947df75ae76f38b7.jpg20210714_193826.jpg.9293f0d51d30ee65947df75ae76f38b7.jpg

Very late 1930's early 40's right hand drive, very British looking and painted in civilian colours not out of place on mid 40' layout, also idea source of trailers oil drums 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

I’ll sort out a postage refund for you in the morning, thanks!

Lol I didn’t realise you were the seller themselves! Thanks for that :) 

I will take a picture of them insitu when they arrive 

Edited by ianmacc
Clarify
  • Like 1

They also do a late version Renault 4 (Oxford are planning the early c1961 version when they finally get round to it!) and a BMW E30 M3. Just looked online.

Also a Citroen H van and Citroen 2CV but these are already available from Oxford. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

I found these keyring's whilst browsing my diecast wholesalers website, my personal favourite is the Clio Williams with its gold wheels and bonnet bulge! I have pictured it next to a 1:76 corsa for scale (bare in mind that a 2010- Corsa would be bigger than a Clio from the 90's).

There are 4 available cars (205, golf, a110) https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/search?q=z+models

IMG_3748.jpg.93612e884b3fac818a1cb60bb8fc74d1.jpgIMG_3753.jpg.2fa9d2f665ad0f8e9c5f55703441a0b8.jpg

Richard

They do look good, can they be taken apart to change the glazing/add an interior?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

I found these keyring's whilst browsing my diecast wholesalers website, my personal favourite is the Clio Williams with its gold wheels and bonnet bulge! I have pictured it next to a 1:76 corsa for scale (bare in mind that a 2010- Corsa would be bigger than a Clio from the 90's)

For 4mm scale both the 205 and Clio should be about 48.6mm long.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

47.5 on the Clio! So pretty close. I haven't opened a 205 yet but they look about the same

The real things are only 4mm different in length. 47.5mm makes it 1:78 scale which I'd say is close enough to pass muster. They look pretty good too.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Kinder Egg produced their eggs with snap together kits for Smart cars, four different types all to 1/72 scale. A Japanese company also produced a similar item with various Japanese cars including Mk. I & II Nissan Micra's in approx. 1/78 scale, several models in the 'fit the box' category and to a smaller scale but also a model of the original Datsun as a roadster in the same scale.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Bit rarer but up to a few years ago loads about for a £1 these Japanese kits 1:72 20210714_193826.jpg.9293f0d51d30ee65947df75ae76f38b7.jpg20210714_193826.jpg.9293f0d51d30ee65947df75ae76f38b7.jpg

Very late 1930's early 40's right hand drive, very British looking and painted in civilian colours not out of place on mid 40' layout, also idea source of trailers oil drums 

Those are still available, although no longer for £1!  They are Hasegawa kits of an Isuzu TX40, which was Japanese version of a Wolseley CP truck, built under licence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moxy said:

Those are still available, although no longer for £1!  They are Hasegawa kits of an Isuzu TX40, which was Japanese version of a Wolseley CP truck, built under licence.

Thanks very interesting didn't realise that they were WW1 vintage 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ianmacc said:

However, the idea of pootling a car round my layout by radio control appeals greatly so good call :)

Then you should visit us on the 'Radio Control' topic and we can show you how.

You are right, it really adds another dimension.iframe widget

Edited by otherplanet
Link was broken
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, locomad2 said:

Thanks very interesting didn't realise that they were WW1 vintage 

They're WW2 vintage, they were copied from British military trucks of the early 30's.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, locomad2 said:

I bought some of those when they appeared in "Poundland" or an equivalent shop several years ago. As well as the tanker, there was also an aircraft starter vehicle, a large US GMC fuel truck plus a German 88mm gun and a German half-track. They weren't particularly good quality, as the tracks on the half-track disintegrated when trying to fit them!  They appeared to be cheap versions made using some rather worn original molds, as the troops for the half-track are blobs with limited features!

I made up the two Jap ones and the GMC fuel truck, with the starter truck & small tanker are shown in the photo below.  I was given a rather battered made up version of the tanker a few years ago and have converted that to a farm truck on my OO layout....

DSCF5472.JPG.724cd8f16857923fd4854adeb87b736b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

I bought some of those when they appeared in "Poundland" or an equivalent shop several years ago. As well as the tanker, there was also an aircraft starter vehicle, a large US GMC fuel truck plus a German 88mm gun and a German half-track. They weren't particularly good quality, as the tracks on the half-track disintegrated when trying to fit them!  They appeared to be cheap versions made using some rather worn original molds, as the troops for the half-track are blobs with limited features!

I made up the two Jap ones and the GMC fuel truck, with the starter truck & small tanker are shown in the photo below.  I was given a rather battered made up version of the tanker a few years ago and have converted that to a farm truck on my OO layout....

DSCF5472.JPG.724cd8f16857923fd4854adeb87b736b.JPG

Agree not the old airfix quality nor the JB military quality which I found was the best, still for £1 not bad and they look the 30's part. Notice LMS type 2 coal hopper drawing got the badge for that now working on LMS type 2 ash plant made up from sectional steel

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Richard Croft said:

47.5 on the Clio! So pretty close. I haven't opened a 205 yet but they look about the same

Richard

I don't suppose you could also measure the Renault A110, Richard?  If that's a gnat's from 4mm I'll be having one* to put into RAC Rally colours for the Newcastleton special stage of the 1968 event :P

Edited by 'CHARD
* 'one' - really!!!!!
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Kinder Egg produced their eggs with snap together kits for Smart cars, four different types all to 1/72 scale. A Japanese company also produced a similar item with various Japanese cars including Mk. I & II Nissan Micra's in approx. 1/78 scale, several models in the 'fit the box' category and to a smaller scale but also a model of the original Datsun as a roadster in the same scale.

Yes Bernard has mentioned these on a different thread. Would love the micras!

• Like 2

Got to say these Z models are a potential boon!

I ordered the Renault 4 and BMW E30 from another site yesterday. Some places market them as 1/87 but having had 1/87 models they are significantly and very visibly smaller, which these are not.

The metal construction also helps as they will look better against the metal models from Oxford. The H0 models have the wrong ‘feel’ being plastic if mixed if that makes sense? 

if nothing else I’ve acquired a snazzy collection of key rings! I’ll check them on the layout before removing the chain!

Edited by ianmacc
Added info
  • Like 2

Just now, Richard Croft said:

I've sold a lot more that I expected, I'll get some of the Renaults too, the BMW is out of stock but I've ordered one else too just because I like the E30

Richard

Good luck. Master stroke finding them and I know well all appreciate them 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, locomad2 said:

Agree not the old airfix quality nor the JB military quality which I found was the best, still for £1 not bad and they look the 30's part. Notice LMS type 2 coal hopper drawing got the badge for that now working on LMS type 2 ash plant made up from sectional steel

Bit off topic, but that drawing is actually a very approximate one for the coaling plant that was at Ipswich (32B), worked out from photographs. The loco shed, Inspection building and admin block on my layout are all based, rather loosely on the 1950's Ipswich MPD though rather a lot of liberties have been taken.

The Admin Block is about half the length it should be, but gives an impression of the original style....

DSCF5471.JPG.36d02ae28b79ba1069c232f282cd6695.JPG

Still a work in progress though

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

its about 48mm.

My initial thought was that it might be smaller but I've just checked and a real mk1 clio is 3709mm long, an original A110 is 3850, a lot smaller than you'd think from looking at it

Richard

That's brilliant, Richard, thank you so much; that makes it, by my calculations, barely 3mm shy of correct, so it won't look out of place using the normal conventions of careful placement, especially as 'scenery.'* 

*  I say this as cartrains are not so forgiving, and devilishly difficult to recreate convincingly, in terms of vehicle finish as well as scale; which is why I have focused on Minix cars en masse for the BLMC, Vauxhall and Ford block trains essential for the Waverley route.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, locomad2 said:

Hongwell ? Ford Capri and Series Landy, really like this manufacturer, better detail, looks the part, compare Landy to all others and this is best for both quality and price

20210715_105943.jpg.5da53b58399cac17b0873151b410202a.jpg

They were another range that Poundland used to stock, though I'm sure they were marketed as Cararama on the boxes.  I picked up 9 different Landrovers at the time!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

That's brilliant, Richard, thank you so much; that makes it, by my calculations, barely 3mm shy of correct, so it won't look out of place using the normal conventions of careful placement, especially as 'scenery.'* 

*  I say this as cartrains are not so forgiving, and devilishly difficult to recreate convincingly, in terms of vehicle finish as well as scale; which is why I have focused on Minix cars en masse for the BLMC, Vauxhall and Ford block trains essential for the Waverley route.

I haven’t seen an update on the car trains project for a good while. Progressing well?

• Like 2