Phil Parker's 'Layout in a box'

• RMweb Gold

I like the idea of a layout in a box, as I do not have a lot of space where I live and the fact I could have more than one if I stack them neatly. I am a late comer to the model railway fraternity and so have scoured RMWeb greatly. I have managed to start as there is a great guide to building this particular layout. My hope is that I would like more buildings on the layout than Phil has used. I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what other buildings would enhance the scene. 

Thanks Paul

IMG_20210707_160133.jpg

• Like 6

• Administrators

Paul - this is looking good so far. I'd suggest that if you want more buildings, you'll need to use some low-relief ones along the backscene. The Skytrex range always looks good and is very flexible as the designs are modular. Have a look here: https://skytrex.com/collections/industrial-railway-buildings

You might also get some ideas from my industrial Billy Bookcase layout: Finished Layout 2.jpg

From left to right: Skytrex, Petite Properties, Metcalfe and Bachmann (this last one massively altered).

Hope this helps - let us know how you get on!

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Paul: great start, as @Jerry1975 says.  I’ve never met @AY Mod or @Phil Parker but they are great encouragers, so if I may be so bold as to make a couple of suggestions based on what I’ve learned from BRM, which I hope might be helpful:

17 hours ago, Rumrat said:

IMG_20210707_160133.jpg

This classic ‘Inglenook’ plan has proven itself over the years, and seems to work particularly well when you have a specific theme - Jerry is building one based on a diesel depot at the moment, I did a very basic quick one as a Great Western Branch Line terminus a while back, etc. etc.  The one thing I would do is get a little bit more track and extend the headshunt to the end of the board on the right, so it looks like it continues on further to the rest of the world (even if it doesn’t).

17 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Paul - this is looking good so far. I'd suggest that if you want more buildings, you'll need to use some low-relief ones along the backscene. The Skytrex range always looks good and is very flexible as the designs are modular. Have a look here: https://skytrex.com/collections/industrial-railway-buildings

You might also get some ideas from my industrial Billy Bookcase layout: Finished Layout 2.jpg

From left to right: Skytrex, Petite Properties, Metcalfe and Bachmann (this last one massively altered).

Hope this helps - let us know how you get on!

This is a brilliant model - although the track plan is different, I think there are several things worth noting:

1.  Phil has weathered his line of buildings so that they all look like they fit together, even though the Metcalfe one is a card kit, the Bachmann one is a modified ‘ready-to-plant’ or finished building, and I think the Skytrex factory wall on the left may be a modular resin kit (?).  Achieving consistency helps makes the scene work, so is a good thing to aim for when planning.

2.  You mention possibly stacking more than one small layout, so do measure your vertical space, because another thing that stands out on Phil’s model is the way the tall factory chimney helps make the layout feel bigger.  For a more rural setting a tall tree or two can do that (and can be used to hide the fake track exit on the right).

3. As a shunting layout the locomotive and wagons are kept small - it’s worth measuring your sidings against a wagon or two (if you want a goods layout) to check it all fits.

4.  Little details can be easily added to a small layout - note the painted white hand point levers here, for example.

5.  Have fun - and feel free to ignore suggestions and do your own thing if that works best for you :D, Keith.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Phil has weathered his line of buildings so that they all look like they fit together, even though the Metcalfe one is a card kit, the Bachmann one is a modified ‘ready-to-plant’ or finished building, and I think the Skytrex factory wall on the left may be a modular resin kit (?).  Achieving consistency helps makes the scene work, so is a good thing to aim for when planning.

This kidz, is why you need to buy the very excellent (and RMweb supporting BRM) - it's all in there!

Photo13.jpg

@Keith Addenbrooke is right with his building spots, but the Metcalfe model is a little more than a card building. I took the basic shell and clad it in Plastikard so it matched the rest of the scene. As he says, consistency is really important and with a small model there's not point in trying to rush things and lose this. Re-working a card kit in this way takes time, but I think it's more then worth it. Mind you, as you'll have seen from other issues, I can't NOT fiddle with a Metcalfe model!

You mention possibly stacking more than one small layout, so do measure your vertical space, because another thing that stands out on Phil’s model is the way the tall factory chimney helps make the layout feel bigger.

Good point. The chimney is removable by the way, it makes storage and shifting the layout easier.

Have fun - and feel free to ignore suggestions and do your own thing if that works best for you :D, Keith.

That's the best advice you'll find on the Interweb. This is a hobby, it's supposed to be enjoyable!

Final point, the Billy Bookcase layouts, all three of them, appear in the 2019 issue of BRM. The buildings for the scene are in November. You can buy backnumbers, or just have a go with the free trail of World of Railways+ to have a proper look.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1