July 2021 Price Increases

Trains4U

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Trains4U said:

In summary, XXXXX state that there have been massive availability problems with shipping capacity and raw materials which have resulted in a significant inflation of costs.   Whilst XXXXX have absorbed these for the last 6 months, it is no longer sustainable and clearly not a short term issue.

I have replaced the manufacturers name in Gareth's post as what he has written there could well apply to all of the major model railway suppliers. Almost everything comes from China and so all of the other manufacturers will have been faced with the same increases in shipping costs and raw material prices. How long will it be before the others have to increase their prices - remember they are running the business to make a profit, not to keep their customers happy.

38 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I just don't see how me (assuming I am average and so others will do the same) cancelling £500 or more of stuff they are probably committed to making is going to do them a lot of favours.

You are very lucky to be able to afford £500 of pre-orders. In over 40 years of railway modelling, that probably represents about 5 years spending for me and almost all of that has been second hand items.

16 minutes ago, cbrooks122000 said:

Fortunately for Hornby there is little competition,

Really ?  Then who are the other companies producing OO model railways - for a start I'm sure Bachmann consider that they are in competition with Hornby - and what about others such as Accurascale, Rapido, KR Models etc etc (and apologies if I missed out your favourite manufacturer) - don't they all take a part of the market share and can be classed as competitors?

• Like 1

• AY Mod locked this topic