Locomotion First & Last MGR wagons with Cavalex

AY Mod

• Moderators

THE FIRST AND THE LAST OF THE HAA MGR WAGONS

IMG_1189.jpg

Locomotionmodels is delighted to announce that it is releasing models of the first and last Merry-Go-Round (MGR) coal wagons which are being produced for us by Cavalex Models.

Under the TOPS (Total Operations Processing System) coding system introduced in the 1970s these wagons were classified as HAA wagons and initially carried B numbers working between colliery and power station. These enabled automatic loading and unloading on a continuous cycle for which collieries and power stations were usually fitted with dumbbell loops to aid the process undertaken at crawling speed. These 32ton wagons could run at 45 mph loaded and 55 mph empty.

Two prototypes were built at Darlington Works in 1964. 160 production wagons were built Ashford Works (Southern Region) whilst the remaining 10,702 were all built at Shildon Works before its closure in 1984.

THE FIRST.JPG

The Models

Locomotionmodels are producing the first prototype wagon No. 350000 which was built at nearby Darlington in 1964. It was preserved to become part of the National Collection in October 1995 and is currently on display inside Locomotion at Shildon. The second model is of the final production wagon No. 368459 built at Shildon 1984. It was purchased by The Friends of The National Railway Museum due to its links with Shildon Works and is currently stored at Shildon.

Please note the illustrations are of pre-production samples and not of the final models that will be delivered. Some parts are missing including the four cross braces on the original bodied version. Further images will be issued in due course.

The wagons will incorporate the following features:  

• Highly detailed underframe   

• Zinc alloy chassis   

• Easy conversion to P4/EM, with 26mm axles used as standard

• NEM coupling pockets  

• Sprung buffers

THE LAST.jpg

The models will be available later this year and will be sold as a boxed pair for £65.

These models can be pre-ordered via our website www.locomotionmodels.com or by telephone by dialling 01904 685785.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

I feel old.   When I was a student, I would cycle to Hendon Beach in Sunderland.  There I would see 36 HAAs being pulled by a 56.  If I remember correctly, although there were trains from Wearmouth Colliery, the docks branch would be used for crew changes for the flows between collieries in Northumberland and the power stations in Yorkshire.  Thought this was part of the continuing history of coal and railways which had started with the Londonderry Railway in 1854 and would go on long into the future.

However, all have now gone or been repurposed.  So I think I might give Locomotion Models some of my pennies.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2021 at 17:53, Les1952 said:

Weren't the first MGR wagons technically the big bogie hoppers that the NER had built to do a similar thing between collieries and staithes- at least 60 years before the HAA.....

Les

You could say the Cauldron wagon did exactly the same thing.  Where the HAA was different was the mechanical loading and unloading of the wagon and being able to get colliery and end user to install equipment to facilitate this.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...
13 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Interesting thought but we might in the next few years be seeing the last coal wagon in service in the UK ?

Not for a long time, I think. Even once domestic coal extraction has ceased, there will be imported coal for industry that will need moving for decades to come.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
On 21/02/2022 at 15:04, Bishdurham said:

Has there been an update as to when these might arrive?

Good evening Bishdurham, the models are in production and we will advise when we have further progress to report.

If you are attending Model Rail Scotland this weekend please visit our stand.

22 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

My understanding is that there will be decorated examples to view at the model exhibition in Scotland

Krieghoff, that is correct we will have production HAA models and pre-production examples of the first and last wagons.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 22/02/2022 at 16:38, Grimleygrid said:

Good evening Bishdurham, the models are in production and we will advise when we have further progress to report.

If you are attending Model Rail Scotland this weekend please visit our stand.

Krieghoff, that is correct we will have production HAA models and pre-production examples of the first and last wagons.

Thanks for the response,  have you any progress to report?

• 8 months later...

THE FIRST AND THE LAST MERRY GO ROUND SET

938877568_LMMGRwagons(3).jpg.64f3222dbe9a375839e66e40e37051ba.jpg

It was a very special moment for us when we were approached by Locomotion Models to produce the first and the last of the iconic MGR wagons, and we are delighted to announce that the first batch of these models have been delivered to Locomotion Models.

The first prototype Merry Go Round Wagon (HAA) No. 350000 was built in Darlington in 1964 and the last (HDA) No. 368459 was built at Shildon Works. Both wagons have been authentically replicated in this exclusive set for modellers and collectors. 

The Merry Go Round concept proved an innovation which revolutionised the movement of coal from colliery to power station using automated loading and unloading at slow speeds to allow a continuous cycle between the collieries and power stations.

The first and the last Merry Go Round set is a great way to celebrate a significant and influential period in British Rail’s history which saw over 10,000 wagons built working throughout the network across Wales, England and Scotland. The last of the Merry Go Round wagons were withdrawn in the late 2000s bringing an end to decades of valuable service, covering millions of miles, moving coal around the country. 

Locomotion Models will be contacting customers that have pre-ordered the models in due course.

The first and the last Merry Go Round set can be purchased through the Locomotion Models website, please see the below link:

https://www.locomotionmodels.com/exclusive-models/future-releases/first-and-last-mgr-set/the-first-and-the-last-merry-go-round-set

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I received three emails today from UPS telling me that the First and Last have been dispatched.  Tracking says they will reach Nova Scotia by Tuesday, think the weather may have something to say about that, but I am looking forward to seeing them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

I ordered mine over a week ago and i have heard NOTHING at all apart from an email confirming the order. Anyone know if there is a problem in despatching them ??

My pair took about five days, but keep in mind the strikes are still having an impact. 

Roy

On 05/02/2023 at 23:26, Krieghoff said:

I ordered mine over a week ago and i have heard NOTHING at all apart from an email confirming the order. Anyone know if there is a problem in despatching them ??

Hello, pop me an email to thomas.mackie@sciencemuseum.ac.uk and I will have the team check your order.

Thanks 

Tom

On 03/02/2023 at 09:23, Bishdurham said:

I received three emails today from UPS telling me that the First and Last have been dispatched.  Tracking says they will reach Nova Scotia by Tuesday, think the weather may have something to say about that, but I am looking forward to seeing them.

Well they arrived today, although the UPS driver couldn't quite make the walk to the door.

Models looks first rate, a great improvement on the Hornby offerings.  I think the packaging looks good, it is not as lavish as others but functional and was well packed by Locomotion.  The provided instanta couplings look for display only, but maybe I'm wrong.

Now I await a Class 56 and then all I will need is a Greg's Pastie and chips and I will be 19 again and watching the trains on Wearmouth Bridge!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

Well they arrived today, although the UPS driver couldn't quite make the walk to the door.

Models looks first rate, a great improvement on the Hornby offerings.  I think the packaging looks good, it is not as lavish as others but functional and was well packed by Locomotion.  The provided instanta couplings look for display only, but maybe I'm wrong.

Now I await a Class 56 and then all I will need is a Greg's Pastie and chips and I will be 19 again and watching the trains on Wearmouth Bridge!

The instanter couplings do work but they do hold the wagons very close together when coupled, like the real thing, so only really usable on realistic curves.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to Tom for his work on tracing my First and last Wagons. I have had a message from UPS to say they will be delivered tomorrow. 

excellent service Tom and thank you for chasing this up for me 

Edited by Krieghoff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wagons received today. Lovely set but can we have a little more exclusive packaging on the limited/ exclusive sets Cavalex 🙏🙏

would just add that 'extra' something. 

aside of that, they are very good looking wagons and establish a start and a sad finish to these iconic workhorses. 

well done chaps. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

Wagons received today. Lovely set but can we have a little more exclusive packaging on the limited/ exclusive sets Cavalex 🙏🙏

would just add that 'extra' something. 

aside of that, they are very good looking wagons and establish a start and a sad finish to these iconic workhorses. 

well done chaps. 

Didn’t yours have the Locomotion wrapper, what more do we need?

I’m not into this special box malarkey!

Roy

9 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Didn’t yours have the Locomotion wrapper, what more do we need?

I’m not into this special box malarkey!

Roy

Roy

Yes it did fella and theres an argument for reduced packaging and the box being incidental once the wagons are out on the layout. However, we base most purchases and our assumptions on visual indicators, just trying to ensure that these cracking wagons get the initial WOW factor that they deserve. 

have a good day matey. 👍

• Like 1

• 1 month later...