Location please?

50 minutes ago, RFS said:

And these days 'elf and safety would have a fit at that board crossing with the live conductor rails running right through it!

Yeah but employees were considered expendable back in the good old days, and Joe Public wasn't supposed to use board crossings - that's why the Inspectorate always insisted on providing a footbridge or subway, though of course that's not good enough now as it doesn't cater for wheelchairs.  In a hundred years time they'll be insisting on teleporting from one platform to another.

Chatham, before the loops were taken out (as part of the electrification works) in 1958, and the train is the winter version (untitled) of the Kentish Belle with two Pullman cars in the formation, 11.35am from Victoria, 12.30-12.33pm at Chatham continuing to Ramsgate via Margate. The use of a Schools is unusual as it would normally have a Bulleid light pacific.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

16 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Maybe in two hundred years they'll tweak the technology to get you all the way to your destination !!?! ( from home )

Yes, but us oldies will still prefer steam teleporting to the station!  Until of course they invent a way of teaching old dogs new tricks.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/07/2021 at 02:09, Mallard60022 said:

image.png.4f87b78ea374737d43e77e9e91753429.png

Asking for some pals ooop north!

I have my suspicions and the engine is probably Bournemouth at this time.

Many thanks

Phil

To go back to this question - looking at G. A. Pryer signal box diagrams I am going to take at guess with Bishop's Waltham. The single track, signal on the 'wrong' side of the track and the position of the signal box all match. The one big problem with this is that the signal box is said to have closed in 1935 - so did the signal box not get demolished until later? Also, is that that signal fixed at danger?

Bishop's Waltham does have an entry in the disused stations site http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bishops_waltham/ but there is no shots I could see that show this side of the station clearly. However the other pictures seem to show the scenery matches.

Rob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, 30851 said:

To go back to this question - looking at G. A. Pryer signal box diagrams I am going to take at guess with Bishop's Waltham. The single track, signal on the 'wrong' side of the track and the position of the signal box all match. The one big problem with this is that the signal box is said to have closed in 1935 - so did the signal box not get demolished until later? Also, is that that signal fixed at danger?

Bishop's Waltham does have an entry in the disused stations site http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bishops_waltham/ but there is no shots I could see that show this side of the station clearly. However the other pictures seem to show the scenery matches.

Rob

Regardle3ss of the actual location, the make up of the train is quite interesting isn't it? Second Van is a Guard's Van presumably?

P

Bishops Waltham signal box was demolished in 1935 according to the site linked above. Also the train seems to be on a curve which doesn't fit with the maps of Bishops Waltham station area, going by the track layout.

Edited by SD85
  • Thanks 1

Actually I might have to retract my previous comment as after some extensive research it could well be Bishops Waltham going by the signal position. But that means the box and signals would have been taken out after the war and not in 1935, which makes no sense. Bishops Waltham signal box in the few photos of it that are online seems to have had a roof mounted central chimney/large vent as well, but this could possibly have been changed for the vent in the photograph over the years.

I can't find any other contenders that even match, however. The only other possibility I could think of was Winchester Junction, with the train coming off the Mid Hants line, and the angle of the shot means that the main line tracks aren't visible in the background. But this seems a very long shot TBH.

I considered the possibility of Butts Junction at the other end of the Mid Hants, but that doesn't match either. Then I wondered if the signal box may be of LBSCR or even GWR design since you can only see the roof, but the LSWR lattice post means it must be in that company's territory.

Edited by SD85
  • Like 1

There's a photo in "The Bishops Waltham Branch" ( Wild Swan, 1988 ) that claims to be "A post-1935 view ... following the removal of the signalbox." .... there's certainly no 'box in sight but only the quality of the photo would suggest anything close to 1935 ( lovely fingerprint too ! ).

The geography might suit Butts Junction though the box ( Was it just the base ? ) I remember there was quite a long structure. Winchester Junction can be ruled out as the vent wasn't on the ridge and the rear of anything stopped at that signal would be fouling the main line.

( Looks like a former L.M.S. good brake.)

• Like 1

The more I study this photo the more I think it has to be Bishops Waltham, but the presence of the signal box is just so confusing. This potentially means that the signal box was demolished at a different time than is otherwise supposed. They also took the signalling out at the same time I think, which further adds to the mystery as this photo is clearly a post war one.

I did as mentioned have a good long look at Butts Junction earlier but I just don't think enough things correlate.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SD85 said:

The more I study this photo the more I think it has to be Bishops Waltham, but the presence of the signal box is just so confusing. This potentially means that the signal box was demolished at a different time than is otherwise supposed. They also took the signalling out at the same time I think, which further adds to the mystery as this photo is clearly a post war one.

I did as mentioned have a good long look at Butts Junction earlier but I just don't think enough things correlate.

I suppose it is in the area isn't it. I still have no idea.

P

I’d like to throw Lymington Town’s hat back in the ring as an option for a couple of reasons.

The first two are ones that bécasse has already drawn attention to. The headcode the one for the Lymington Branch and the roof profile of the signal box does have the look of an LSWR Type 3b or 4, which is consistent with the signal box at Lymington Town.

The line is single track with a slight curve towards the camera. If you look at the few photos of Lymington Town with the camera pointing towards Brockenhurst, the single line track does curve away to the left of the camera (westward?).

Further those photos also show a very similar looking signal in exactly the same position, although I am looking at a photo from 1966 and the arrangement of the telegraph poles does seem to have changed in the interim.

Lastly, to my knowledge, 30695 was a Bournemouth engine for the majority of its working life. Bournemouth 700’s were rostered for a 7:52am goods working to Brockenhurst each day (BM 417) which did return to Bournemouth again at 12:52pm, so maybe there was a run down to Lymington in the meantime?

The shadows are quite long so this could be the rebuttal (too late in the day for it to be a Bournemouth 700) but thought it might be worth another look? 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Yep, just done some checking and I think it's Lymington Town, judging by the signal (which seems to have been a lattice post at that location), track curvature and crucially the vent on the box roof is similar. A 1964 photo I found shows the box there to have also had a similar stovepipe coming up from the side of the roof, as can be seen in the original photograph posted here.

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, SD85 said:

Yep, just done some checking and I think it's Lymington Town, judging by the signal (which seems to have been a lattice post at that location), track curvature and crucially the vent on the box roof is similar. A 1964 photo I found shows the box there to have also had a similar stovepipe coming up from the side of the roof, as can be seen in the original photograph posted here.

Not knowing that area at all other than Brockenhurst, I just visualised Lymington Pier and thought that a Goods wouldn't have been down there. But Lymington Town, yup thanks a lot guys. Quite happy to go with that. Very much appreciate your research; quite fun really?

Phil

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Surely you'd see some evidence of the crossing from that angle ??!?

24_07.jpg.259e7ce9e660c3b3330926e5db941447.jpg

Just to the right of the Pole, original pic, some way back near the Box, is that a Gate Post? hadn't noticed it before.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There's a guy on Ebay offering a set of 12 photos of the Lymington branch, one of which is this, which seems to confirm it's Lymington Town. The rear of the train looks to be curving away from the signal box, but then it looks as though it's coming out of the siding on the left of the picture. 

Capture.JPG.712ad4d1c15f835fe73c568b10e8f815.JPG

Edited by RFS
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 24/07/2021 at 14:38, RFS said:

There's a guy on Ebay offering a set of 12 photos of the Lymington branch, one of which is this, which seems to confirm it's Lymington Town. The rear of the train looks to be curving away from the signal box, but then it looks as though it's coming out of the siding on the left of the picture. 

Capture.JPG.712ad4d1c15f835fe73c568b10e8f815.JPG

Cracker  matey. Really useful.

• RMweb Premium

Another puzzle but deffo Forest area :

image.png.bae5b9187086e761a88042ce57d6b063.png

Without checking the Discs I though Swanage, but no. Friend thinks Corkscrew somewhere but I can't identify it. never visited or lived there in those days sadly. Loco 30102 BM and a PP Set I think?

Any ideas and thanks for the great response to the Lymington puzzle; great fun.

Phil

Phil