Jump to content

Location please?


Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold

The SREmG website lists these for that headcode, among others not relevant

 

Alton and Fareham
Bentley and Bordon
Hamworthy Junc and Hamworthy
Salisbury and Bulford
Axminster and Lyme Regis
Tipton St John's and Exmouth
Plymouth Friary and Cattewater

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

This headcode also applies to Wareham->Swanage so perhaps it's the Swanage branch goods? Would be relevant as 30695 was a Bournemouth loco from 1948-1961, and this photo must date from soon after 1948 given the loco has a BR number with Southern on the tender. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The odd thing is though is that the photo doesn't look right for any location on any of those lines. The signal box visible seems to be either a type 3B or a type 4 fitted with a circular metal ventilator and stovepipe, neither of which were unknown on such boxes but weren't common either, and it's location relative to the commencement of the single line is also unusual, at least for any of the lines where that central single disc head code applied, as by 1890 the LSWR had become canny and realised that if you located a box conveniently on one platform at crossing stations the signalman could help with general station duties between trains.

 

There is also something slightly odd about the loco too because it is recorded as being renumbered in August 1949 but the tender in the photo seems to still be lettered SOUTHERN which would not have been the case for a tender repainted in late 1949. The probable explanation is that the tender is a temporary exchange. 30695 was certainly a Bournemouth loco throughout the likely timescale of the photo.

 

Finally, given the size and make up of the train, it is unlikely to be on an insignificant dead-end branch line.

 

Now I wait to be proved wrong on all those points - after all, the photo has to be of somewhere!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it might be up Winchester way, but maybe Hamworthy ?

Other possibilities are in 'The Forest' somewhere, but were any of those lines single?

Good fun this detective lark.

Thanks so far.

P

Link to post
Share on other sites

incomplete leaf cover on the trees would suggest spring or autumn - so the sun at that sort of angle would suggest mid-day-ish and the loco heading more-or-less due west ......... which as far as I'm concerned doesn't actually help us an awful lot !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RFS said:

This headcode also applies to Wareham->Swanage so perhaps it's the Swanage branch goods? Would be relevant as 30695 was a Bournemouth loco from 1948-1961, and this photo must date from soon after 1948 given the loco has a BR number with Southern on the tender. 

 

Post  February 1950 though. Only locomotives at ex LMS sheds had shedcode plates before then.

 

 

Jason

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

 

Somewhere on the Ringwood Roundabout?

 

Mike.

I wondered about that Mike. Sadly I have zero experience of those lines at that sort of time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I wondered about that Mike. Sadly I have zero experience of those lines at that sort of time.

 

Likewise Mr Duck, it just seemed to me to have that general feeling of the area from other pictures I have seen.

 

Mike.

  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yup. Somewhere in deepest Somewhere. 

But your friends oop north can rest assured it's not in Yorkshire, nor close to any satanic mills of Lancashire, nor is it in the North East, beyond that is Scotland where Mr Drummond did do some locos, but not bearing the word Southern on their sides.

 

I think it's somewhere south of Watford.

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

But your friends oop north can rest assured it's not in Yorkshire, nor close to any satanic mills of Lancashire, nor is it in the North East, beyond that is Scotland where Mr Drummond did do some locos, but not bearing the word Southern on their sides.

 

I think it's somewhere south of Watford.

They were thinking that. Sadly they asked me as they thought I'd know. Had it been a 72A loco I might have

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are only a limited number of ex-LSWR single line contenders in the Hampshire and Dorset area:

Tongham remnant

Bentley - Bordon

Alton - Meon Valley - Knowle (plus the single line at Fareham)

Stokes Bay remnant

Botley - Bishops Waltham

Alton - Winchester Junction
Fullerton Junction remnant

Porton/Salisbury - Bulford

(Totton - Fawley)

Brockenhurst - Lymington Pier

Alderbury Junction - West Moors

Hamworthy Junction - Hamworthy

Wareham - Swanage
(Somerset & Dorset)

Chard Junction - Chard Town

Axminster - Lyme Regis

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bécasse said:

 

Brockenhurst - Lymington Pier

 

Well I lived in Brockenhurst in the early 1950s.  But I can't help as I don't remember anything before we moved to Edinburgh when I was three.  Sorry chaps, but I doubt there can be many on here whose memory is going to go back far enough to enough to remember that location back then.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It certainly isn't in the immediate area of Brockenhurst, the main line and Castleman's corkscrew were both double track and only the Lymington branch, going off at Lymington Junction, was single. Steam-era photos show that, although there were similarities, it definitely wasn't there, and the only other two locations on the branch (L. Town and L. Pier) with signal boxes had distinctive signals with short arms on rail-built posts, instantly ruling them out too.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, bécasse said:

There are only a limited number of ex-LSWR single line contenders in the Hampshire and Dorset area:

Tongham remnant

Bentley - Bordon

Alton - Meon Valley - Knowle (plus the single line at Fareham)

Stokes Bay remnant

Botley - Bishops Waltham

Alton - Winchester Junction
Fullerton Junction remnant

Porton/Salisbury - Bulford

(Totton - Fawley)

Brockenhurst - Lymington Pier

Alderbury Junction - West Moors

Hamworthy Junction - Hamworthy

Wareham - Swanage
(Somerset & Dorset)

Chard Junction - Chard Town

Axminster - Lyme Regis

Being a Bournemouth Engine and a substantial train, I would go for Alton Winchester or the Meon Valley route, Hamworthy Branch or maybe Swanage Branch.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I take it there is nothing written on the back of the print ?

Dunno Stu, it is a question from a 'Northener' as is this one: however I think this is deffo east Kent and probably one of the Eastbourne XPs as it has a Pullman Diner, pre 1958 repaint, in it (5th Coach) and a 73B Loco.

image.png.00b12a2f6081a28a56685e76bc125e91.png

Usual Copyright please.

P

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

And these days 'elf and safety would have a fit at that board crossing with the live conductor rails running right through it!

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, fulton said:

Yes Chatham, train coast bound coming out of Fort Pitt Tunnel, soon to enter Chatham Tunnel, the bandstand, on top of the cliff is still there.

Thanks matey. I spotted the Bandstand and for it to still be there is something.

Phil

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...