Run Whatever You Wish!

Right Away

• RMweb Gold

Not a particularly great scan but I thought this image (dated Sep ‘64) was worthy of inclusion. A somewhat undertaxed WC “Lynmouth” is seen leaving the east portal of Honiton tunnel. Of possible interest is the maroon Bullied BCK and what looks like a Thompson SK; what could this working have been? 

The tender may also be of note; by this time many of the later unrebuilt (9ft cab) West Countries had donated their original 5500 gallon tenders to run with those rebuilt locomotives which had run from new with the 4500 gallon variant. (note: many rebuilt Light Pacifics did retain the smaller tender).

Bullied Pacific tender variants and allocations of all classes present quite a fascinating study - if you like that sort of thing!

9B7EBFEA-808E-42F0-8474-2BFCDD2BE290.jpeg.932b6fbae5d53fe36d2fa6512b3ddd0f.jpeg

Edited by Right Away
  • Like 8

• Right Away changed the title to Run Whatever You Wish!

Possibly a portion working (of which the Southern was particularly keen) off an inter-regional working - the maroon liveried bullied coach suggests one of those which had been transfered away from the Southern.

And yes, the other coach is definitely a Thompson SK - Gresley bogies, doors midway along body, oval toilet windows, and 7 main windows - an FK or the shorter CK would have 6

• RMweb Gold

There is a picture in the RCTS British Railways Standard Steams Engines Vol 5 of the exact same formation (and could well be the same two coaches). The RCTS one is the 3:10PM Padstow to Okehampton hauled by 80041 taken on 22nd August 1964.  The BCK would be one that was transferred to the WR in 1963 when the SR lines in the west were moved to the WR - a number of these were repainted in maroon. The SK will be one of the Thompsons that were transferred to the WR to replace MK1's transferred to the SR (I believe) - there was a lot of transferring going on as the SR wanted ETH fitted coaches and MK1's to rebuild into 4TC/REPS. 

So the above photo is likely to be a local train and not a portion from somewhere else.

Rob

• Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, 30851 said:

So the above photo is likely to be a local train and not a portion from somewhere else.

That was my reaction too, because I can’t think of an inter-regional that was split on the SW at this period. Possibly nothing more exotic than an “all stations”, the over-provision of locomotive power being common because locomotive diagrams included “fill in” runs between long trips with expresses.

A rum looking train though.

• Agree 1

The Salisbury to Exeter route had been taken over by the WR in January 1963, and it was dieselised commencing August 1964 with through services beyond Exeter being mostly withdrawn at the commencement of the winter timetable from 7 September 1964. 

34099 Lynmouth had been a 72B Salisbury loco since February 1960 and would be withdrawn from Salisbury within two months (11/64).

The sun appears to be high or in the west, I think there were afternoon stopping services from Exeter Central to Templecombe, Salisbury, and Axminster, 

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
additional information