Another IOW 483 thread

• RMweb Gold

Well due to isolation and awaiting a PCR test has seen me flat bound a long stalled project has seen a stagger forward , Back in 2014 /2015 EFE IOW tube stock was got cheaply with intention of collecting but having seen how close they were to being runnable - an EFE fail perhaps or carrot dangling for inveterate botchers! 

Sets got Jon Hall dummy bogie frames with efe sides glued on and Tenshedo 26mm bogies, added weights and plans to make multiple pick ups.  Having got some spare bodies and now via Shapeways  3D printed underfame/chassis units  it is possible to make up a fleet.  For just 9 units in three main liveries a complicated story evolves and  the Ryde Rail tomb by Richard Long, the Tube trains of the Isle of Wight by Brian Hardy, another flicker exploration along with a small self publsihed picture volume - sorry cannot recall author- but will update.  DEMU issue also had article on conversions 

With time on my hands limited research showed that NSE 001 set had a varied front yellow to the rest, Dino livery pretty standard but 006 never got end letters and 006 had gutter repairs and stage coach blue paint "decapitated" the dino. 002 carried its Raptor name unlike rest of fleet. In LT livery 007 for awhile had the full monty of LT onsides and gold numbers but others did not and in the end the remaining three sets got Island line logos in white - but then closer inpsection showed 007 and 009 had differing yellow fronts and the colour of the long front hand rails varied.- EFE has not got handrails that are long enough so a wire replacement possible . Folk might say I should get out more ! but that is what isolation does.  

On U tube is a set done with DCC sound , lights  and saloon lights - well may be in time..

couple of pics1369829613_tube1938110721003.jpg.974f9e389eb30f15277aa9bbdff54725.jpg

Shows holes in base plate moulding to access seat unit, Bogie with dcc concepts pick ups - all sits on insulated mount and has efe sides glued on. Motor bogie fitted into hole cut out with mini discs and paint touched up

447916766_tube1938110721004.jpg.1b139c0cf22e9923c9b90297d5726c69.jpg

A resprayed roof of LT 38 stock to have yellow added. Given a yellow ended IOW set has rocking horse output availability...  Ibis white form halfolds rattle can will need some rust marks adding in time. 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

252160170_tube1938110721002.jpg.5b019ae0822a5ac75f11db157884e806.jpg

Pic shows main chassis mods with plastic mounts to isolate bogie, cut out and bracket. The base plate moulding has had 6 holls drilled - two to clear motor bracket bolts and 4 to give access to seat unit screws. 

387847340_tube1938110721007.jpg.fe6e00b4061728971e1139b9bca8512c.jpg

Unpowered bogie under NSE set . It does show the thick paint finish EFE  gave the mouldings - which are very good at roof level with a zillion rivets but even for its day -2008 let down by moulded handrails and clunky details on front the light cluster is a set of weakly defined depressions. I would expect EFE will announce IOW rtr in the next round of announcements but this way is just a bit cheaper!    

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

2064169682_tube1938110721001.jpg.c0f336b547cf81974959819ba8deb699.jpg

A detail short to show the 0.5mm plastic plates glued on chassis  to insulate the live bogie from chassis. 

The unpowered car bogies will pick up from opposite rails so vital works to stop a short. Next move will be to fit inter car jumpers along with fitting bogie side frames to power bogie.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

2116117111_tube1938110721008.jpg.d101bc4b4d2a7daccb6b2a2600ffb495.jpg

progress todate  rebogied and power bogie test fitted. Couplers painted for fitting later

1172037455_tube1938110721006.jpg.9057d021f130634a55f3883c63e25f80.jpg

Trailer bogie - live frame and pickups over kill   but set up as opposing pickups on trailer car should avoid "gapping." EFE sides glued on.    

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

A little set back ! well two having got motor bogies out - one is a dummy ! and the other is 28mm not 26mm wheelbase anybody want to swap an unused 28mm with 10.5 wheels for a 26mm x10.5 wheels.  

Looking at various sites power bogie is around £48 any soul got a secondhand one ? 

cheers

Robert 

• RMweb Gold

Well the last two trailers and the "set 10" - a spare bodies no chassis purchased awhile ago have been through the works with weights added and painted black - ordered more ready black (lasy me!)  The seat units drilled for the bogie bolts to pass through and the two chassis now have the 5thou plasticard strip and tube spacer fitted. 

So like Ryde St Johns depot waiting on bits from "Easteligh and Acton" to progress fleet improvments. 

I think I will add some Dapol N gauge PCBs I have on hand as a terminal block and potential 6 pin locator - the boards have lighting control diodes and resistor and internal lighting socket so making wiring a bit easier for future developments.  

All the efe metal chassis units are powered and I will make the 4 3D printed ones up as a powered set coupled to another using the 4 way coupler unit I have. I am thinking it will be easier to chop the 3D print over the mezak on the EFE units - and being lighter one bogie should be ok ( famous last words!)      

Thoughts on layout , recent Model rail had Ryde works in various forms but should I do a current IOW location or Ventor or even Cowes / Newport. With 03 diesel on pilbox van and engineers.  Now if set 010 had been used would it have been done in southern green and sunshine lettering... or plain rail blue with white doors to celebrate the 483 sets ?  I will just get my coat and turn off the lights at this point.  

• RMweb Gold

Well after a quick look at ebay for a motor bogie £48 splashed , but need two more in time. Also on ebay was an NSE 485, started £50 but went for 142.  Now the flood gate eased and another NSE start 85, dino 85 and an LT red one starting 125 - but motorised not sure about other wheels etc . at 125 give motor bogie roundly 50 is same sort of starting price  fun to see what it goes for in the end.   It does show perhaps interest in the models as models and not just display case queens.

When you add on the costs of better wheels, bogies, motor bogie before thinking about extra wiring,DCC and lighting it all mounts up! But done slowly it is affordable but a 4 car 1938 motorised and DCC fitted on ebay for 499 IIRC .   It would be good if Bachmann/ EFE did parts to allow upgrades but sure that does not fit their business "model."

Robert        

• RMweb Gold

1149436284_tube1938110721009.jpg.b1664d197a6b78b6684291bd054b906f.jpg

first efforts at doing 001 and 009

1891875253_tube1938110721010.jpg.3813e1534972d5c820a00c79b2cb43ee.jpg

first effort on 009 paint has not gone on well and filling of two redundant lights not good enough so will start again.  At least the the masking did not go too badly nor removing handrails just to find a match for the maroon - luckily hand rails behind most of the scar.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fronts cleaned up and the other vehicles for 009 and 007 have had the shallow moulded lamp drilled out and a short piece of 1.5mm rod glued in  and sanded back. Careful draw scrapping with a blade has got all the paint off the fronts and the EFE paint was two decent coats on NSE grey and yellow over a NSE grey plastic moulding and having used an olfa cutter to clean out the door lines much happier a better finish possible.

Further refined face by removing to lumps from alongside right side windscreen - I guess meant to sort of give impression of the whistle but as it was just body colour a bit of a fail, this should improve the IOW face and of course now means finding a bag of whistles to mount!     

Careful looking at pictures show that the EFE NSE model does not have enough black below the windscreen nor the little line of NSE grey below the yellow - I am thinking that I could use some Fox transfer material to lay on the two grey and black sections required - ensuring a neat edge. The high gloss finish on the model should help. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi "d00m"

I slipped a knife blade under an edge and with a gentle tweak on most shells, some front windows not even glued . Just one LT red shell had the cab divider glued in and this had seeped under glazing but a few twists of the shell broke the body bond, but left it fixed to glazing- left alone.   

I did remove the cab divider or they fell out and this does allow the glazing to be released from cab end - most out in one piece worst was three large sections . The inner roof only traps the top edge and has not been removed form carrs where it did not fall out.    I have removed the inner end windows as these may well be the cable route for inter carr wires, but these were all adequately glued in place.

The quality of the build is not unlike some recent real railway purchases from CAF ....   

Hope that helps

Robert

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

784811563_tube1938110721.jpg.e0aaf5f145ba26e6b0dc2b2bd09a7264.jpg

While a bit Vic Berry the 6, only 5 picutred ends after further faffing. One thing I cannot find any souls who do a transfer for the destination blinds   so will see if Steve at Railtec could oblige in a spare moment ( he is very busy of course so no rush!) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well now got some 3D print chassis units originated by John Polley at Metromodels. and some more bogie sideframes so with the last of the John Hall bogie frames I can now power more units than were ever in traffic. 

I am sourcing a suitable red to repaint the non IOW 38 red vehicles and I will revisit  the still not good enough front end filling.

Pictures later.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Erixtar,

A work of art I am sure.  I was wondering about inter car electrical connections and adapting some Dapol N PCBs to hand for lighting.  I did also flirt with the idea of dcc for these and the 03 but as a layout is most unlikely I might just stay dc.  time will tell of course.  I did get the  EFE 007 on ebay the other night so now have one or more of each   EFE and thus 7 in the fleet now  so beating reality for fleet size.

I can now do three maroon , 007 in LT and , 008 in Island line and  009 to match 007 in unbranded maroon.

two dinos - 004 and 006.  two NSE 001 with differing yellow front and 005 as a hybrid set.    I have one intermediate 1938 for glazing spares  which I could mug up a plated over 010 car for fun .

The spare bodies John has at Metro models and his 3D print chassis and motorising kits  do mean it is possible to make up models in an almost rtr state easily enough.    

Its probably worth me saying that although I don't have any more bogie etches for the EFE in stock, and due to the announcement of EFE RTR trains, I don't have any plans to hold a stock of this etch in future, it would still be possible to get a sheet run if there was sufficient demand.

At the moment the postage from the etcher to me for a sheet on its own would almost double the price (which only barely covers the cost to me anyway) but if anyone thinks they might want some then drop me a line. I don't order from the etcher frequently, but if it can be combined with an order for something else I'll entertain the idea.

Jon

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 18/08/2021 at 11:29, jonhall said:

Its probably worth me saying that although I don't have any more bogie etches for the EFE in stock, and due to the announcement of EFE RTR trains, I don't have any plans to hold a stock of this etch in future, it would still be possible to get a sheet run if there was sufficient demand.

At the moment the postage from the etcher to me for a sheet on its own would almost double the price (which only barely covers the cost to me anyway) but if anyone thinks they might want some then drop me a line. I don't order from the etcher frequently, but if it can be combined with an order for something else I'll entertain the idea.

Jon

I've got a friend who wants a few of these and might underwrite the cost of getting a sheet etched, but he does not need all of them - if anyone would like any bogies for the EFE diecast tube train, then now would be a good time to send me a PM!

Jon