From D.C. to DCC

Any ideas please, I have just finished a 4-4-0 chassis and run it in on DC, Works like a dream, But fit a decoder to it NOTHING !!! 

decoder is wired correctly

joints soldered good

correct  address put in (3)

I have tried 3  decoders always the same result, the motor is a mashima 1220. So any Ideas folks would be most welcome.

Thanks (in advance)

Ian H

• RMweb Gold

Once you have fitted the decoder have you tried putting the chassis on a programming track and reading the decoder’s  address back.  This will tell you whether the decoder is fitted correctly or not.

With 3 decoders not working I'd start looking very, very carefully at how I had ensured that both motor brushes were totally insulated from the rails.

If you've hard wired them then make sure that you have wired them up correctly.

If you've used an interface board, make sure that all your connections are sound, that they go to the right places on the motor and pick-ups, and that there are no stray filaments of wire or solder whiskers bridging the solder pads on the interface board. Also check that you've inserted the decoder correctly.   

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips folks, I do have a decoder tester fitted with a motor and all work well and use the old tried and tested , red and black to the track, orange and grey the other way. I'll Keep looking and trying.

Thanks Again,

Ian H

• RMweb Gold

I have had many problems with kit built chassis using DCC as well, even though they run fine on analogue. They are either jerky, stall, don't run at all or not very responsive. Its at the point now that I am experimenting with using RTR chassis under kit bodies, or I will convert the layout back to DC. 

Some of the things I find which may help are;

1. wheels/track must be spotless

2. Are there any shorts between the wheels, brake gear or chassis

3. Oiling/greasing the axles, gearbox, coupling rods.

4. Ensure all wheels are making perfect contact with the track. Do they work when on a rolling road?

5. Test with a Gaugemaster wheel cleaner. I find that it will run on the wheel cleaner as the brass brushes make contact much easier than solid track enabling the chip to get the full signal it needs.

6. Quality decoders - I find Zimo work better than most other chips,. but its not a guarantee for success!

7. Test different pick up arrangements, using different materials and one might just work better than another.

44 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

I have had many problems with kit built chassis using DCC as well, even though they run fine on analogue. They are either jerky, stall, don't run at all or not very responsive. Its at the point now that I am experimenting with using RTR chassis under kit bodies, or I will convert the layout back to DC. 

Some of the things I find which may help are;

1. wheels/track must be spotless

2. Are there any shorts between the wheels, brake gear or chassis

3. Oiling/greasing the axles, gearbox, coupling rods.

4. Ensure all wheels are making perfect contact with the track. Do they work when on a rolling road?

5. Test with a Gaugemaster wheel cleaner. I find that it will run on the wheel cleaner as the brass brushes make contact much easier than solid track enabling the chip to get the full signal it needs.

6. Quality decoders - I find Zimo work better than most other chips,. but its not a guarantee for success!

7. Test different pick up arrangements, using different materials and one might just work better than another.

But surely if the loco is running properly on DC many of things listed as possible problems cant be correct? However it is strange that 3 chips all fail, which makes me think that the conversion process hasnt been done correctly, if its been done 3 times the same way with the same result.

On 11/07/2021 at 15:01, todeni said:

Any ideas please, I have just finished a 4-4-0 chassis and run it in on DC, Works like a dream, But fit a decoder to it NOTHING !!! 

decoder is wired correctly

joints soldered good

correct  address put in (3)

I have tried 3  decoders always the same result, the motor is a mashima 1220. So any Ideas folks would be most welcome.

Thanks (in advance)

Ian H

Just a thought, but have you tried the chassis on DC after removing the 3 decoders?

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

But surely if the loco is running properly on DC many of things listed as possible problems cant be correct? However it is strange that 3 chips all fail, which makes me think that the conversion process hasnt been done correctly, if its been done 3 times the same way with the same result.

From what i can gather, dcc requires data and power from the controller to the decoder. The DCC decoders require a much cleaner signal from the track compared to just voltage which is all  analogue requires. Therefore something may work fine on analogue but if the data isnt getting through to the chip perfectly, it wont operate in a way it should.

• Like 1