Trelothen - a Cornish fishing harbour

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

What you can also see behind the fish dock is the edge of the yard. This will have a strip of thin MDF stuck along the edge of the baseboard top, to eventually support the wall the separates the two levels.

The fish dock will be just in front of this wall, rather than built in to it.

I'm still not certain how the fish is brought to the dock from the quay. Research into how Newlyn fish was brought to Penzance Station to be transported east has so far not revealed any answers,  though I suspect horse & cart, followed later by small lorry, would be the probable method.

As there is little room for vehicular access, and to do so from the main yard would also mean crossing the headshunt and the fish dock siding itself, as alternatives I have considered a narrow gauge railway (for about 2 minutes), and a pathway for hand carts, but as yet am undecided.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1167229374_KettleMarket103.JPG.20b754de6656306f26fbfd21c589dbb2.JPG

I think that it was Scarborough where the fish was transported from the boats in three wheeler Lister Auto Trucks to the fish sheds. Those machines were definitely in production in the 1930s and it would have been the late 70s when I saw them still operating.

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

1167229374_KettleMarket103.JPG.20b754de6656306f26fbfd21c589dbb2.JPG

I think that it was Scarborough where the fish was transported from the boats in three wheeler Lister Auto Trucks to the fish sheds. Those machines were definitely in production in the 1930s and it would have been the late 70s when I saw them still operating.

Brilliant!

They will be perfect, just need to make the passageway between the to-be-constructed shops & houses on the main street.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Glad to be of help. I don't think that it would take much to scratch build a few, lined up on the fish dock awaiting the next tide. The original ones had a petrol engine and two speed Albion gearbox inside a simple tin box. Later ones have a big air cooled diesel that would be trickier. 

Which is why we prefer the old stuff. I think that I would start out by butchering some platform trolleys. Langley also do a kit.

220px-Lister_Auto_Truck_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg.343096ce897747b8f5fb44a651e56687.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

More docky stuff

1361427131_20210921_1232332.jpg.8ad108284c66e93885c3760de190f7b2.jpg

1625004738_20210921_1232572.jpg.949c7145eade3c2281c95d4b4b7422dc.jpg

I think the roof edge is too high over the van, and although I could add a valance, I think that would be over elaborate for this sort of shed.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I think the roof edge is too high over the van, and although I could add a valance, I think that would be over elaborate for this sort of shed.

It will need some sort of supporting framework though, shirley?

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

It will need some sort of supporting framework though, shirley?

Al.

image.png.11b3e067d89c1d35dbfaa8bd86742fb1.png

Yes, on the actual model there will be a wooden batten framework holding up the wriggly tin roof - these first few buildings are just to get an idea of size and view blockers/makers on the layout, but having said that I'm trying to make them as representative as possible, given their crudeness.

• Like 7

I like the idea of a valance to the honest, timber or angle iron support gibbets and a valance about 18"-24" made from corrugated iron. 

It would stop the wind and rain blowing into the doorways and lessen the chances of a gale from the sea getting under the roof and ripping it off.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Perhaps make the roof slightly less steep?

The rear wall is a scale 6ft, the posts & office front is 8ft, which determines the pitch of the roof.

Reducing the post height should reduce the steepness.

Exactly the reason for the mock--up buildings.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AdeMoore said:

Interesting those Stu I’ve been looking at those including the boats for my current project, quality and sharpness look pretty good. Hope they paint up nice.

cheers

Ade

16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's interesting stuff, I could certainly use some random car tyres.

Can't fault the service from Stuart nor the quality of the products.

They might need a slight file here or there, to get rid of flash around the edges, but the definition is superb.

(Usual disclaimers).

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as my  mind usually thinks of pre-groups days I immediately thought of donkeys with panniers bring the fish along. I might use that for the impending portable layout. 

It is a shame that anscalemodels do not do any 7mm ones 1:56 sounds a stretch too far.

The mock up building lookvery good .

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

And we're back in the room after a short break to see family in North Wales.

This little package arrived, from anyscalemodels.com

The little group to the front left were extra items added to make up the difference in the postage - a nice touch.

1224180544_20211002_0955162.jpg.35526cf92ac0df6517a45cc5ab51790c.jpg

They obviously need painting, but will serve to fill the fish dock and fishermen's shed's yards.  The whisky barrels will be used for pilchards, a well known Cornish fish product. 

2034840185_20211002_1005472.jpg.56d8b433e88891d3192e514349d5db86.jpg

Cheers for the link Stu, just been on and ordered some bits for Trewenn.

• Like 1

Likewise, thanks for the information. I justst went on their eBay shop and picked up some of those car tyres. At £1.99 including post it isn't worth hunting through the junk box, where I'm certain there's only a few military tyres.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

T-CATS is no more.

Well, it has been retained as a running in circuit, but is longer a layout.

969068712_20211010_1147482.jpg.5c886d751de222cef08ff8349e812d8d.jpg

Beats putting track on the carpet Stu ! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5