Trelothen - a Cornish fishing harbour

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Don.

The WiT was fixed through choc blocks, tight enough to hold the tube but not the wire.

A combination of a springy Cobalt wire, slightly loose joints, loose holes in the corner strengtheners and a springy paperclip to tiebar wire all meant the overall mechanism had too much give, thus the point wouldn't throw.

V2 will be much tighter, and may use brass rod as you described.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Gate stock?

All the green ones are sold out, or are asking higher than original prices on ebay, so I will reserve my options on these.

Meanwhile, the pilot loco storage & servicing area/siding will be moved south to board #2. I couldn't see a way of fitting it in without being too cramped - yes I know this is supposed to be set in a narrow valley, but the point was in the way of the general siding ( the bit beyond the headhunt part of the line for the goodshed).

First non-electrical uncoupler is also now in place, although it is a little high, so either means gouging out the baseboard or removing the sleepers. This is not as drastic as it sounds as the line to the wharf will also be the vehicular road entrance to the yard, so the track will be inset anyway.

It's all in the plan...

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Have just ordered one of these....

image.png.4d47c520063dee7d281295e403b68c1f.png

Just need to source some suitable coaches for the push-pull service to Trelothen via Padstow.

The Maunsell push-pull 6xx sets (Hornby) were iirc conversions in BR days and are beyond your period. Not sure what else RTR might be suitable other than the gate stock. Perhaps Muz will know?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

You're right, Pencarrot. 

Only option is Gate stock. 

If it helps, pretty certain Lord & Butler may still have Southern lined green examples from the latest EFE release. 

SB

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

You're right, Pencarrot. 

Only option is Gate stock. 

If it helps, pretty certain Lord & Butler may still have Southern lined green examples from the latest EFE release. 

SB

And from reading the EFE Gate Stock thread, the latest EFE version corrects a number of errors on the original KMRC version. Underframe boxes and internal layouts.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The loco doesn't have to use push-pull stock, it could just run round the coaches...

Indeed, in which case the Hornby rebuilt Maunsell 58' coaches would be suitable. Diag 99 and Diag 418 ran in 2 coach sets iirc.

(But you did mention push pull in your original loco post)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Both types are equally acceptable. 

It will be interesting to see if they release set 373 as plated over with proper protruding rivets this time as opposed to the original 'dimples'. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

(But you did mention push pull in your original loco post)

Hence my suggestion of gate stock. If you're going to run round, Maunsell stock would be ideal. I have two green Hornby Maunsells (set 199) for the Padstow/Pentowan service, hauled by 30200.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I did mention push-pull, as the loco is so fitted.  But knowing very little about SR coaching I was unaware of the limited options.

The station is set up (or will be) for a run-round operation, plus the option to shunt a train into the holding/carriage siding whilst the other company's train arrives & departs.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Hence my suggestion of gate stock. If you're going to run round, Maunsell stock would be ideal. I have two green Hornby Maunsells (set 199) for the Padstow/Pentowan service, hauled by 30200.

Set 199 would be formed of the later Maunsell coaches (not the rebuilds) which would also be suitable for Stubzie.

So to summarise, to go with his Southern liveried O2, Stu could use:

* LSWR push pull gate stock (EFE)

* LSWR Maunsell 58' rebuilt (from 48') stock (Hornby)

* SR Maunsell new stock (Hornby)

There's also the option of the Bulleid stock (Bachmann) but it's really showing its age now and is in the process of being upgraded (so I'd wait for that).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Have been track laying this evening...

85792719_20210806_1932362.jpg.62960e72206721eef5596cf013e97016.jpg

Some droppers have been added too.

Looks like a few calories have as well.........

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Progress today has seem the control panel cut to size and drilled, and the remaining complex track laid. I still need to add the sidings, but can now turn the board over and fit the rest of the point motors and electro-uncouplers, then wire everything to a suitable collection point, where I can add a multi-pin connector.

• Like 7