Trelothen - a Cornish fishing harbour

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

These coaches are totally your fault Stubzie. 

rps20210809_113911.jpg.b2fd04c2877969fb5e435305f2686d3d.jpg

rps20210809_113928.jpg.fb5ff53343d174bb130aca46024fbdbc.jpg

rps20210809_113941.jpg.e6c04573a62a2035e0a95f5fdc85cce1.jpg

rps20210809_113958.jpg.64657942e4834f1dca69e6a898c75c4d.jpg

Very different from the normal SR menu.

(Obviously the M7 has got a bit lost)

Glad to be of help.

Will they be included in the cheapo-unwanted-SR stock that bloke is selling?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

And you can't even blame late nights with too much alcohol...

Al.

Given the proposed location and railway company options of Trelothen, it would seem I could not really refuse John Isherwood's offer, but that meant getting another van in the right colour scheme.  Just hope it and the O2 arrive early next week, whilst SWMBO is out...

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Meanwhile, Control Panel #3 has been drilled for the switches.

I promised myself to not accept shoddy work on this layout and to redo stuff as necessary.

So as I was not happy with either of the first two attempts, a sturdy metal box has been sourced and a laminated track diagram produced to be glued to the top.

Once the holes in the laminate have been enlargened for the switches I will reassemble. 

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

14 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

I promised myself to not accept shoddy work on this layout and to redo stuff as necessary.

I know how you feel. If it's not right and you know it, then it niggles at you . . . .

I have to get out of the habit (?) of inaction due to being afraid of mucking it up. Or improve the ratio of  90% planning to 10% action (as I prefer to think of it).

Posting on here helps, I think, in that respect. The fact that you are showing what you have done makes it like a virtual never ending exhibition/ demonstration stand with friendly advice coming in. Plus photos can reveal things you don't 'see' in real life.

Looking forward to the next installment.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

And the next installment is:

The Yard Control Panel.

1621029723_20210811_0747222.jpg.41f859d2721cc817f2c7a0ab076664d7.jpg

508908869_20210811_0748212.jpg.9b6d3ae2bf3f2452e9735d1009c95034.jpg

Obviously the switches need to be added,  but this box is a much better option as the positioning of the panel will need to be flexible depending on the number of operators available. 

(Mostly just me, if at home, so placed somewhere in front of the layout. At exhibitions,  if Trelothen ever gets out, it will need to be at the r/h end, or behind if the harbour extension if in use).

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

I know how you feel. If it's not right and you know it, then it niggles at you . . . .

I have to get out of the habit (?) of inaction due to being afraid of mucking it up. Or improve the ratio of  90% planning to 10% action (as I prefer to think of it).

Posting on here helps, I think, in that respect. The fact that you are showing what you have done makes it like a virtual never ending exhibition/ demonstration stand with friendly advice coming in. Plus photos can reveal things you don't 'see' in real life.

Looking forward to the next installment.

You can't muck it up if you don't have a go, but at the same time you can't get better either.

Only you know when good enough is good enough, so keep trying.

Tinner's Forge has been my best layout to date, this one will be better.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

PSMT.

If I'd finished it, if it had worked, than maybe.

But, it's still in the loft and I keep an eye on threads with battery r/c locos, so who knows...

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

In this house, PMT stands for Pistol, Machine, Terror.

But she likes trains, motorbikes and importantly, me.

030007a1.jpg.f38faa1c18cd8d64385c1e9cec947ad1.jpg

I am a little concerned that you've shown a picture of your front / hobby room...

• Funny 3

17 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I am a little concerned that you've shown a picture of your front / hobby room...

No worries, that is neither.

It's about thirty metres underneath the house....;)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's actually a friend's shop. The MK4 Sten gun is a relic recovered from Arnhem, deactivated and fully legitimate.

I try not to let her play with live guns, because she knows how to use one.:D

She'd get burnt fingers holding it like that...

• Agree 2

That was the subject of the conversation at the time. If you hold a Sten by the magazine, like they do in films, it can twist it enough to jam the weapon. If you have your hand where she does, you're going to get burnt by the spent cartridges. The only real way to hold it is by the frame just ahead of the trigger guard, which makes it tricky to control. The instructions were basically point at your opponents right foot and the gun will sweep up and to the right anyway. Aim for his head and you'll miss.

Other automatic weapons of the period such as the Thompson, MP40 PPSH and STG44 all had some kind of forward grip for better control, the Sten was by comparison a needs must weapon, made as cheaply and quickly as possible. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 12/08/2021 at 00:53, MrWolf said:

That was the subject of the conversation at the time. If you hold a Sten by the magazine, like they do in films, it can twist it enough to jam the weapon. If you have your hand where she does, you're going to get burnt by the spent cartridges. The only real way to hold it is by the frame just ahead of the trigger guard, which makes it tricky to control. The instructions were basically point at your opponents right foot and the gun will sweep up and to the right anyway. Aim for his head and you'll miss.

Other automatic weapons of the period such as the Thompson, MP40 PPSH and STG44 all had some kind of forward grip for better control, the Sten was by comparison a needs must weapon, made as cheaply and quickly as possible. 

I've ticked  = Informative / Useful, but really, I shall probably never fire one, or need to hold one so it really was neither Informative OR Useful to me. But I did find it interesting :good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

It does promise to be an excellent layout and I do admire the level of forward planning with items such as the controller. I've found out the hard way in the past that it is better to construct the layout as though it were going to be exhibited. That way you won't have the unpleasant task of breaking it up if you move house or simply wish to redecorate.

Another bonus is that if you do tire of it, you stand a much better chance of moving it on.

PS, Apologies for the thread drift!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2