Jump to content

If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

wanted - N Gauge Jubilee locomotive


Royal42
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I would like to obtain a model of Jubilee class locomotive in N gauge please.  Preferably a working model but could consider a non-runner also.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42
changed requirement from chassis only to full loco
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dapol have never made a Jubilee in N. Do you mean the Farish or Peco model?

 

The source of either is likely to be eBay or other retailer of second hand models and come with a body attached...

 

Steven B

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

AH! sorry about that.  they are Peco parts.   I'm new this and am struggling to understand how I can get bodies, I have a few now, but cannot buy chassis'.

I shall reword my request for a complete model.

 

cheers,

 

Mike

Edited by Royal42
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Royal42 changed the title to wanted - N Gauge Jubilee locomotive
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks.   I have started purchasing the 2mm Association's Black 5 kit, in parts as I can afford them, and I'm looking for a Jubilee to go with it.   I have looked on eBay although I get concerned when reading about eBay madness etc., so thought I would ask here.  Also, eBay makes you bid and the two attempts I made on something, I was immediately outbid.  

I know that I'm coming over all negative, I'm actually the opposite type, but I can't be faffed with bidding plus I don't know if I would get a decent deal from strangers on that site.

Does anyone know of any eBay sellers who are trusted on here, i.e. members have bought with confidence and that offer their stuff at a set bargain price?

 

cheers,
Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Can anyone please help me to find/source a cheap Jubilee class loco in N Gauge?  I seem to be looking in the wrong areas.  Even a non-working model would do, so long as it has the wheels and connecting strips etc.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42
Link to post
Share on other sites

Define cheap?

 

There are usually several on eBay - there are eight Peco and a couple of Farish ones at the moment. The Peco ones usually go for £20-60 depending on condition. You can double those prices for the Farish version.

 

Steven B.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm confused as to whether you need the chassis or not as you are building the 2mm SA Black 5 so I'm guessing you are building a 2mm layout rather than in 'N' so would have no need for a Jubilee with an N gauge chassis, only a body.

Unfortunately the 2mm SA don't offer a chassis conversion kit for either the Farish or Peco Jubilee though so a bit more work would be needed but I do have some recollection that someone connected to the 2mm SA did produce some etches for the Peco version. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Unfortunately the 2mm SA don't offer a chassis conversion kit for either the Farish or Peco Jubilee though so a bit more work would be needed but I do have some recollection that someone connected to the 2mm SA did produce some etches for the Peco version. 

 

Replacement chassis etches for the Peco Jubilee and the Farish Jubilee are available from Nigel Hunt; http://2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/nigelhunt/chassis-kits.htm

 

Both are etches only, ie. require wheels, gears, motor, etc.

 

Andy

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Define cheap?

 

There are usually several on eBay - there are eight Peco and a couple of Farish ones at the moment. The Peco ones usually go for £20-60 depending on condition. You can double those prices for the Farish version.

 

Steven B.

Hi Steven,

I have a tight budget so hoping to find something for less than £75 for a working model or c30-£40 for a non-working model.

 

 

34 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

I'm confused as to whether you need the chassis or not as you are building the 2mm SA Black 5 so I'm guessing you are building a 2mm layout rather than in 'N' so would have no need for a Jubilee with an N gauge chassis, only a body.

Unfortunately the 2mm SA don't offer a chassis conversion kit for either the Farish or Peco Jubilee though so a bit more work would be needed but I do have some recollection that someone connected to the 2mm SA did produce some etches for the Peco version. 

 

No more confused than I am Gareth.  I've joined the 2mm SA and have been purchasing track, jigs and templates etc., but locos only seem to be available in N gauge.  I have bought a 2mm kit of the Black 5; however, that is going to be a bit of a steep learning curve for me and so, I just want to get a loco for my vignette that matches what would have gone through Birmingham New Steet station in the mid-late 1950s.

 

11 minutes ago, 2mm Andy said:

 

Replacement chassis etches for the Peco Jubilee and the Farish Jubilee are available from Nigel Hunt; http://2mm.org.uk/small_suppliers/nigelhunt/chassis-kits.htm

 

Both are etches only, ie. require wheels, gears, motor, etc.

 

Andy

Wow!  I didn't know that Andy.  I have been ordering stuff from Shops 1 and 3 since I joined and felt frustrated at this lack of chassis availability, and yet plenty of bodies can be obtained of Farish and Peco.  I shall send an email off ot Nigel today and see what he has.

 

Thanks all,

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Royal42 said:

 

No more confused than I am Gareth.  I've joined the 2mm SA and have been purchasing track, jigs and templates etc., but locos only seem to be available in N gauge.  I have bought a 2mm kit of the Black 5; however, that is going to be a bit of a steep learning curve for me and so, I just want to get a loco for my vignette that matches what would have gone through Birmingham New Steet station in the mid-late 1950s.

 

Wow!  I didn't know that Andy.  I have been ordering stuff from Shops 1 and 3 since I joined and felt frustrated at this lack of chassis availability, and yet plenty of bodies can be obtained of Farish and Peco.  I shall send an email off ot Nigel today and see what he has.

 

 

I am a member of the 2mm SA but not being mainstream N you will not find any ready to run items of rolling stock or locos, it is either converting N gauge stock , kit building or scratch building, one of the attractions of finescale modelling.

The Black 5 kit really is the start of a very steep learning curve, normally I would recommend you start with an 0-6-0 Farish or Dapol tank engine where there are drop in replacement wheelsets to get you up and running.

I'm glad my memory was vaguely working and Andy knew who had produced the etches.

Have you had a look through the 2mm section of this forum where you will find lots of builds etc: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/323-2mm-finescale/

There's also the 2mmSA IO group.

That said if you are building to 2mm finescale you will not need an N gauge chassis, only the Jubilee body. Peters Spares have stocked Peco Jubilee parts but it looks like they've run out of cabs: https://www.petersspares.com/peco-peco-spares-peco-jubilee-spares.irc

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Yes,  I bought all the available parts to make a body but there weren't any cabs.  I think that I am going to need to do quite a bit of scratchbuilding here.

cheers,
Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick Mitchell produced a series (34 parts!) of videos on building the Nigel Hunt chassis for the Peco Jubilee body. These go through the whole range of processes involved in the chassis construction (and detailing of the body) and are well worth watching;

 

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/jubilee/

 

There is also a thread in the 2mm section here;

 

 

Andy

Edited by 2mm Andy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...