Dapol N gauge 59 out of abeyance

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

That's some more of my cash heading Dapols way.  Good news indeed.  Also glad they've decided to do 59005 "Keneth J Painter" and not 59002 "Alan J Day" in FY Silver, as fits my modelling timeframe.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

On top of all the recent announcements about re-runs of classes 27, 35 and 56, 9Fs and Britannias, I think this is a very positive sign for N gauge. I really don’t need a 59 but I’ll be getting the original Foster Yeoman one. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Stuart A said:

Also glad they've decided to do 59005 "Keneth J Painter" and not 59002 "Alan J Day" in FY Silver, as fits my modelling timeframe.

Saves them having to make the earlier version of the silencer as initially fitted to 59001-4

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stuart A said:

That's some more of my cash heading Dapols way.  Good news indeed.  Also glad they've decided to do 59005 "Keneth J Painter" and not 59002 "Alan J Day" in FY Silver, as fits my modelling timeframe.

Which is a shame as I would've bought one of 59001-59004 as that fits more with my modelling timeframe.

Cheers

NEal.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Calnefoxile said:

Which is a shame as I would've bought one of 59001-59004 as that fits more with my modelling timeframe.

I'm more than happy to undertake a bit of back-dating modelling if necessary. After all I converted this from a Dapol class 66:

1151549296_66to59pic13.JPG.da7f081a35bae2247548933b1dd1c9ad.JPG

including a complete new appropriate exhaust:

333348572_66to59exhaustbox.JPG.a0843afbf874890bd2ae9adcdbaa248d.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

It is a pity the 00 version does not come out of abeyance too :)

Same issue with the silencer for me on the 00 version too but I suspect they will tool for that variation in 00.

Edited by BR Blue
  • Funny 1

On 13/07/2021 at 19:20, BR Blue said:

It is a pity the 00 version does not come out of abeyance too :)

Same issue with the silencer for me on the 00 version too but I suspect they will tool for that variation in 00.

As per an update from Dapol on facebook, the OO gauge Class 59 is ready for production. They are waiting for a production slot to open up

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Great to see this making progress again! Hopefully shows Dapol have some confidence in the N Gauge market.

Now how about some similarly good news on the West Country and BoB! 

Tom. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It’s just occurred to me that buyers of the Yeoman and ARC versions might struggle to assemble a prototypical load for these locos. There are, of course, the old Farish PGAs in both liveries but they haven’t been produced for some time so getting a decent rake of them now is going to be difficult. Also, I’m not even sure ARC were still using PGAs by the time their 59/1s arrived in the UK. The only other options I can think of are the N Gauge Society kits of the bogie box tippler wagons (PTA/JTA/JUA) and the Tiphook bogie hopper wagon (KPA). Are there any others that I’ve missed?

• RMweb Gold

That second photo link you posted is interesting as the caption mentions the “grounding” of the JHA fleet as a result of a derailment at Hungerford in 1994. I’d forgotten about that incident but I had some involvement in the aftermath.  It happened on the up line and, luckily, was between the entry and exit of Hungerford goods loop through which all trains were routed until the track was repaired. 

22 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Wow, it's almost exactly 9 years since they announced it. Could this be a record for the longest production schedule for an N sale model? 

I think the Peco HAA wagon has that title neatly wrapped up.  I think we first heard promises of that in the mid to late 80's and it finally appeared mid noughties.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the list of liveries it's a shame they aren't doing Hanson or Aggregate Industries liveries in the first batch. Both of those would go well with Revolution's forthcoming JNAs. 

Tom.  

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, TomE said:

Looking at the list of liveries it's a shame they aren't doing Hanson or Aggregate Industries liveries in the first batch. Both of those would go well with Revolution's forthcoming JNAs. 

Tom.  

If the proposed liveries haven't changed since the initial announcement, then it's probably them not knowing what RevolutioN had in store (nor the fact that RevolutioN would exist).

That being said, tooling has only just commenced. So it may be worth asking them to add a livery or two. They were nice enough to change some numbers around for their upcoming Class 56s. Worth a try?

• RMweb Premium
On 14/07/2021 at 12:14, Stuart A said:

But I agree there isn't anything out there currently RTR to go behind the Yeoman/ARC versions

It doesn't have to be freight....

The sound file for this one may be a one-off though.

Foster Yeoman Class 59 59001 at Bewdley

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I do 3D printed JHAs...

I'd definitely have a Hanson one. Indeed I'm in the middle of respraying a 66, and now that'll be as far as it goes, sod redoing the underframe and bogies :D

ARC JHA.jpg

• Like 2