Dapol N gauge 59 out of abeyance

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

I suspect both Revolution and Dapol will sell models:

• Revolution's model is due Q2 2022, with Dapol's set to follow in Q3 or Q4. Revolution's will be all sold by the time Dapol's arrive in the shops.
  • Only a handful of shops stock Revolution Trains' models
  • There's not much overlap in running numbers & liveries - anyone modelling the Merehead area can justify models from both manufacturers.

Duplication hasn't stopped Bachmann or Dapol re-running class 66s.

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, Suffolk Rob said:

I don't see a problem for Revolution with the duplication- their focus is facilitating the 59 rather than business profit.

I suspect the idea that Revolution is not pursuing a business profit will come as news to the guys running Revolution.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

10 hours ago, mdvle said:

I suspect the idea that Revolution is not pursuing a business profit will come as news to the guys running Revolution.

My understanding from when Ben & Mike set up revolution was that they were specifically looking to facilitate models that might not be attractive to mainstream manufacturers and their pre-ordering/crowdfunding approach was to ensure they could cover the cost of research, tooling & delivery.

Accept that may have changed which is their business rather than mine. Important thing to me as a customer is that they deliver very good models at very reasonable prices

• Agree 1

On 11/08/2021 at 07:30, Steven B said:

Duplication hasn't stopped Bachmann or Dapol re-running class 66s.

There's 450 CL66 loco's kicking around. I've got 16 and plan on getting more (GBRF BR livery, and Freightliner G&W livery come to mind).

They're the modern day equivalent of the CL47 & CL37, you can never have too many :D

John P

• RMweb Gold

I'd love to see another manufacturer produce a 37 or 47 in N, as Farish releases are so few and far-between (and have a short shelf-life).  I know it's duplication but there are so many possibilities to keep manufacturers going for years.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2021 at 15:43, Captain Electra said:

I'd love to see another manufacturer produce a 37 or 47 in N, as Farish releases are so few and far-between (and have a short shelf-life).  I know it's duplication but there are so many possibilities to keep manufacturers going for years.

I already suggested the 47 to Dapol.. They were not keen on the idea.

cheers

Mark

Yep, it is duplication, so to some extent the market will, at least, be partially sated and reduce the potential. And, no doubt, in the lengthy time to get newly tooled models developed and to market these days, Farish could easily produce a few batches in the meantime. Probably a bit too much of a commercial risk and gamble. No wonder Dapol weren't keen on the idea.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If only you knew someone who worked for a manaufacturer who could suggest this to them 😉

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

It's amazing what comes back to bite you. 😀

Although they are good bread-and-butter models, there is danger that at least one other manufacturer could be working on a new 37 or 47 in N, so we are going for other models at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

In a little underwhelmed by the painted samples. They all look a bit plasticky and toy-like. The ARC logo is too pale, the DB grey looks too light, the NP bogies look too pale and the EWS just looks a bit too bold, possibly the gold being too vibrant. Not sure about the Hanson orange either. I suspect one will find its way into my stable at some point, but I’m afraid I’m not blown away thus far. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

These are the first deco samples, so it is early days. The points you have raised and a lot more besides, have been fed back to the factory and we are waiting on the revised samples.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Seriously, what is going on with that utterly fictitious cab face lamp iron - I swear that thing is borrowed from their 66 tooling and it was the lamp iron particularly, which for me ruined the Dapol 66 cab face appearance.

Anyway, it’s oversized and shape wise is completely wrong…. I’m sure with another 2min I can find a few more faults, but I have a baby to occupy and she doesn’t care about N gauge models…. well, not yet…. 😉 😆

• Funny 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The production samples have been photographed and are now on the Dapol website here:
N Gauge Class 59

I had these to review and play with just before Christmas and can confirm they are really lovely, with excellent smooth running and haulage.

Gaugemaster are going to be selling 59003 in GBRF livery and Rails of Sheffield are doing 59206 in Freightliner orange. The factory has really stepped up with the finish since the first deco samples and they look first-rate.

Delivery is a little uncertain, given the issues with international shipping in the Red Sea but early March looks a good bet.

• Like 1

I dont model N gauge but had a look at this thread as i like 59s, this model just seems to be a down scaled version of the 00 gauge model..... and i can see all the faults on the N gauge version that i can on the 00 version. Im at a bit of a loss as to why Dapol have gone up against Revolution with the class 59 with it being a small class, the Revolution class 59 just looks so much better. 

Ive still not purchased a 00 gauge Dapol 59 despite being a big fan of the real things, i still cling on to this hope (despite being told it wont happen) that Revolution will upscale their N gauge 59 to 00 gauge to make something far superior to the Dapol version..... as they have done in N gauge.

59 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Im at a bit of a loss as to why Dapol have gone up against Revolution with the class 59 with it being a small class, the Revolution class 59 just looks so much better. 

The Dapol model was announced years ago and has been in the development doldrums most of that time.  Revolution noticed the opportunity and leapt in, seemingly spurring Dapol to actually speed up development.

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

and i can see all the faults on the N gauge version that i can on the 00 version.

Such as? (not up to speed with the OO version so don't know it's faults).

Steven B

20 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Im at a bit of a loss as to why Dapol have gone up against Revolution with the class 59

I am sure others can correct me on this but I am sure I read years ago model company's have a "line in the sand" moment in product development and once you pass that you have to keep on going regardless owing to costs. If this is the case and Dapol passed their line in the sand point when Revolution announced there's they had to keep going.

Might be a small class but the livery variation is higher than some more numerous classes

On 29/01/2024 at 13:48, Ed-farms said:

I am sure others can correct me on this but I am sure I read years ago model company's have a "line in the sand" moment in product development and once you pass that you have to keep on going regardless owing to costs. If this is the case and Dapol passed their line in the sand point when Revolution announced there's they had to keep going.

Might be a small class but the livery variation is higher than some more numerous classes

Fair comment, but it has to be said if Dapol went over that "line in the sand" and then slowed/stopped development allowing Revolution to jump in their and overtake them than thats Dapols fault... if they had got on with it, designed it, tooled it and got it into production and onto shop shelves would Revolution have even bothered doing a 59???

On 29/01/2024 at 13:07, Steven B said:

Such as? (not up to speed with the OO version so don't know it's faults).

Steven B

The lights have been an issue with mods having had to be done to make them prototypical. (see the Dapol oo gauge thread)

The NRN radio pods are in the wrong place.

The exhaust sits far to high.

And finally, the one that bugs me the most..... the shape of the chassis under the cab is completely the wrong shape.

All except the chassis error can be sorted, but given that we have locos of the quality as the Cavelex 56, Accurascale 37 and 55 why should we have to? I don't think Dapols 59 meets the standards expected these days.

• RMweb Gold

The 59 tooling was signed off before I joined Dapol, though the artwork is my own.

As with the OO version, we will take any constructive criticism from the first batch and incorporate it into the second. I have learned much about 59s during my time on this project that I would like to incorporate into batch 2.

I am actually really proud of our 59 and I believe the vast majority of our customers will be pleased. Even though I am modelling 80s ScotRail, I may well pick up a National Power Blue example, simply because I love the colours.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

13 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

I am actually really proud of our 59 and I believe the vast majority of our customers will be pleased. Even though I am modelling 80s ScotRail, I may well pick up a National Power Blue example, simply because I love the colours.

59104 was trialled by BR on freight workings over Shap, could always rewrite history and say it was a national power one and they went further northshowimage.php?id=352454&key=4912992 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

59104 was trialled by BR on freight workings over Shap, could always rewrite history and say it was a national power one and they went further northshowimage.php?id=352454&key=4912992 

According to scot-rail.co.uk

59201 went to Hunterston and back (via the ECML) on 25th/26th Feb 1998 using the National Power stone hoppers.

5th May 1998 59206 ran north with 17 JMAs via Carlisle and Dumfries as 4Z84 07:14 Milford Junction - Hunterston, and over the next few days it visited Killoch, Knockshinnock and Ravenstruther.
59206 returning home 8th May 1998 working 6Z34 11:22 Mossend - Eggborough Power Station coal (via Millerhill

searching 6-5-98 59206 shows views at Falkland yard & working from Killoch

regards Robert

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1