Train failures on heritage lines

willjam39

That is detonators have been placed in rear and front of the train at 1/4 mile intervals to 3/4 mile where 3 are placed.

That is emergency protection, a failed train in section in position of the token/staff requires assistance protection - 3 dets 20 yards apart at 300 yards.

Before entering a section to rescue a failed train the driver will have received a message from the signalman containing the following information.

Exactly where the failed train is - which is why drivers and firemen must have excellent route knowledge.

That it has been protected as above - with the guard/fireman in position displaying a danger/stop signal.

That the failed train is in position of the token/staff.

Which direction the failed train is to be taken.

That the assisting engine has permission to pass the section signal at danger.

The assisting engine then proceeds at such a speed that will enable him to stop short of obstruction. The driver must stop upon exploding the first detonator and will then be guided onto the failed train by the guard/fireman of the failed train walking on foot.

Amateurs we may be, playing trains we most definitely are not.

JP 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/07/2021 at 15:46, 47513 said:

No movement should exceed the line speed at any time. When entering an occupied section a loco should proceed at a speed that would enable the driver to stop within the distance they can see to be clear, basically a walking place. 

Its tightened up a lot now, but some preserved lines in the 1980/90’s were well known for speeding. Ive had several very short durations rides on some preserved lines between stations, certainly one well known regular diesel gala became stuff of legend at the time, the journey was shorter than the wait at the next station.

I still have tape records (on old fashioned cassettes) of some of this, and clackety clack speed was obvious !

I understand where you are coming from, but times have changed and what may or may not have gone on in the past wouldn't be acceptable today, there is a big difference between a light engine movement back to shed on an evening where you are in possession of the staff/token and going into an occupied section to assist a failed train with many hundreds of passengers on board.

JP

Edited by LNERJP

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

some preserved lines in the 1980/90’s were well known for speeding. Ive had several very short durations rides on some preserved lines between stations, certainly one well known regular diesel gala became stuff of legend at the time, the journey was shorter than the wait at the next station.

The past is the past and I'm not sure what dragging it up has in relevance to today. I can go straight to video of 30 years ago which shows it very different to how things are now. The expectations on those involved has gone up exponentially and continues to do so. 

Whilst off topic, things like mobile GPS speedo's and U Tube have changed things. There is an acceptance that for engines not fitted with a speedo there is an allowed margin for error and you know your speed by looking at the ground (I can do it to within about 2mph comparing to a GPS speedo) 

The rules are different on different railways, but all have generally said the same thing which is protection is carried out and that we may not be paid but the vast majority take the role very seriously and do it as professionally as possible. 

This now seems to be going round in circles.

• Agree 1

• AY Mod locked this topic