Class 37s on parcel trains

3 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Blimey, that's a very impressive load for a Type 3, looks like 18-20 vehicles!

The Siphon Gs in the formation indicate it is an empty news van train for Old Oak Common.

cheers

3 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

The Siphon Gs in the formation indicate it is an empty news van train for Old Oak Common.

cheers

Empty......yes, that would certainly help! Still an awesome sight though.

Do you happen to know whether this quantity of empties was a regular sight, or has a failure somewhere resulted in two empty workings being combined into one mega-empty on this occasion?

9 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

Empty......yes, that would certainly help! Still an awesome sight though.

Do you happen to know whether this quantity of empties was a regular sight, or has a failure somewhere resulted in two empty workings being combined into one mega-empty on this occasion?

I think there were three long distance empty news van trains to OOC, from Carmarthen, Malago Vale, and Plymouth/Laira. I was more familiar with the train from Malago Vale, but I think all three could be quite lengthy, as well as the news vans there could be a balance of ordinary empty parcel vans back to London.

cheers 

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Long trains of empties were a regular sight. This one’s got seventeen on:

• Like 2

'The Power of the 37s' (B.Morrison, Oxford Publishing Co 1981) has photos of 37s on parcels trains: 

Jun 74 37238 at Selby bound for the Leeds area

Jun 74 37012 at Norwich on the 1840 to Liverpool St (a passenger/parcels/postal combo)

May 77 37025 at Colchester bound for Liverpool St

Sep 79 37159 near Bridgend with 3 vans for Bristol

Sep 79 37241 at Gloucester with vans for Swansea

Sep 79 37255 between Cardiff and Newport with vans 'from Barry storage sidings'

Sep 79 37268 at Milford Haven 

Apr 80 37230 at Chepstow with Down vans (a particularly varied formation)

From memory East Anglia was a hotbed for 37s on parcels trains, given the number allocated to Stratford and March. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, keefer said:

The Malago trains could quite often have empty passenger stock en route to/from Swindon for overhaul.

Also that train would convey empty parcel vans for Swindon to be loaded from the parcels platform on the downside, (which has now been replaced by an addition passenger platform).

cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Here's the post in the Parcel Van thread that I was thinking of:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66383-modelling-a-traditional-parcels-train/&do=findComment&comment=2606546

Stationmaster also says the Malago Vans didn't convey parcels but empty vans. This one has LH stock, note the two immaculate dia.702 RK in the middle of the train.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2021 at 12:49, caradoc said:

From memory East Anglia was a hotbed for 37s on parcels trains, given the number allocated to Stratford and March.

There was a M-F service from the Parcelforce sorting centre at Peterborough (New England - roughly on the site of the current GBRf facility), from around 1973, down into deepest, darkest East Anglia. The 37 would run 0C15 from Peterborough stabling point to New England, just before 17:00, returning about 20 minutes later as 3C15. Occasionally, a 31/1 would substitute but it was almost always a Stratford 37. Annoyingly, despite seeing it many times, I don't think that I ever took a picture of it. :angry:

On 13/07/2021 at 20:56, motorcat said:

I am looking for information or photos of class 37s on parcel trains please. I have only managed to find 2 photos on flickr so far

A COUPLE OF OUT OF SEQUENCE SHOTS # 1

37428 York to Shrewsbury 12/08/88. In the flickr comments someone said that managed to ride this train as a passenger?!

37426 +  37428

37426 & 37428 3V20 Manchester Piccadilly to Bristol 12/07/88

The first is actually the empty stock for the train, at Ouston Junction, South of Newcastle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...