BRM August 2021

Chris116

• RMweb Premium

My subscription copy arrived yesterday and a quick skip through shows that there is lots of informative reading to be had. 

The article on Pete Waterman's Making Tracks layout that is on display in Chester Cathedral until 3rd September looks very interesting. However, on looking at the Cathedral website I noticed that the event is not free as it says in the article. Tickets cost £2.50 which is a lot less than I hope most of us would give as a donation. Now all I have to do is plan a day trip so I can attend a service and spend time viewing both the Cathedral and the layout. My birthday at the end of this month is looking good for such a day trip. 

• Like 1

Lots of praise for the Wainwright D class in the review. However, no mention that the loco and tender running plates are different heights. I had a day out in York yesterday and checked to see the height difference on the real thing. There isn’t. Why is such a basic failing not mentioned? 

Also, I offered to give the Duchess a wash as she was very, very dusty, but my offer was turned down.

• Administrators
47 minutes ago, Billywindsock said:

Lots of praise for the Wainwright D class in the review. However, no mention that the loco and tender running plates are different heights. I had a day out in York yesterday and checked to see the height difference on the real thing. There isn’t. Why is such a basic failing not mentioned? 

Also, I offered to give the Duchess a wash as she was very, very dusty, but my offer was turned down.

Is the tender at York full of heavy coal and water?

• RMweb Gold

Were the photos in the review taken on rails, or on a flat surface ?  If the flanges on the loco and the tender are different sizes, the loco may well appear to be higher than the tender.

(An observation Larry Goddard mentioned once after lining a loco not stood on track.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a great evening reading the digital version.  There are some fabulous photos of Pete Waterman’s new WCML layout. Thought the Pete Waterman/Andy York interview was very interesting.   Waterman has a brilliantly pragmatic attitude with regards railway history - something sadly lacking in contemporary society.  It’s really important to champion the history of the railways, a British gift to the world that laid the foundations of the modern world we enjoy today.  Especially given that it was driven forward by largely self taught individuals from common backgrounds.  Waterman cites his own example, but I think here of George Stephenson in particular, the father of the modern railway who made it all possible.  His first application to parliament for the Liverpool Manchester line was thrown out due to survey inaccuracies - many Oxbridge educated engineers scoffing at his proposal to go directly over Chat Moss saying it was impossible to do.  However, not only did he achieve this incredible feat but much heavier modern trains still run over the peat bog today on the original embankment!  How’s that for a man who had to teach himself how to read and write?  It’s always easy to forget that the future, and general betterment of mankind, is always driven forward by pragmatic individuals rather than the State. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 14/07/2021 at 12:50, Chris116 said:

However, on looking at the Cathedral website I noticed that the event is not free as it says in the article. Tickets cost £2.50 which is a lot less than I hope most of us would give as a donation.

At the time of recording we believed it would be donations but a booking system and notional charge was brought in after recording as a means to manage visitor numbers.

On 16/07/2021 at 15:23, Billywindsock said:

Lots of praise for the Wainwright D class in the review. However, no mention that the loco and tender running plates are different heights.

Yes, there was praise but there were also comments about issues as I'm sure you will have read (but not commented upon). Yes, there is a small difference in height there but it's not unknown to see it in reality on the railway. It's worth looking at prototype references.

On 16/07/2021 at 16:17, Stubby47 said:

Were the photos in the review taken on rails, or on a flat surface ?  If the flanges on the loco and the tender are different sizes, the loco may well appear to be higher than the tender.

There is a small difference on the rails too.