Some help needed.

cypherman

Hi all,

Well the Triang M7 arrived yesterday for my next project. I have managed to fix the wheels shorting out and got replacement bogie wheels and a new motor. But unfortunately the power pick up basically disintegrated as I took it off. I have tried in vain to find a replacement with no luck. I have even tried to make one. But the less said about that the better. My soldering skills are not the best. I thought this would be the best place to ask for help as it is a vintage engine. So does any one here have one that I could buy off them or know where I might be able to get one. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. This what the poor wretched thing looked like when I got it. it just needs some love and attention to look like this.

M7 R1.jpg

M7 7.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

The service sheet is here:

http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetid=6

Part X.627, though possibly the 4-4-0 one might fit - The spring for this is available on eBay. Some modification may/will be necessary.

I would be inclined towards making one with some PC board (fibreglass preferably) and phosphor bronze strip.

Edited by Il Grifone

14 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

Part X.627, though possibly the 4-4-0 one might fit - The spring for this is available on eBay. Some modification may/will be necessary.

I would be inclined towards making one with some PC board (fibreglass preferably) and phosphor bronze strip.

Hi,

It is an odd fit as one end actually fits under 2 small pegs and the other has the screw to hold it in place. The 4-4-0 one is different. Thanks for the info.

Hi all,

Well I seem to have run out of luck for getting some new pick ups on this project for the moment. Even Triangman does not have a set of pick ups for this loco. If he cannot get them I am not sure any one can. So I will try again and see if I can make some working pick ups again

On 15/07/2021 at 08:37, Il Grifone said:

Hi,

Where would I get some PC board. I have never used it..

3 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Which part do you need? The plate or the pickup spring wire? I might have some, I'll look tomorrow.

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I need both. This was the original pick up using a brass wiper on the wheels. It later changed to the spring type similar to the one on the B12 and Hall. But they as far as I know both fit the same chassis. As the whole think disintergrated when I took it off the brass wiper distorted and became too damaged to reuse. Thanks for looking. I shall keep my fingers crossed.

On looking at this quite elderly body the moulded detail is quite remarkable and fine.

Edited by cypherman

On 16/07/2021 at 17:58, cypherman said:

Hi all,

Well I seem to have run out of luck for getting some new pick ups on this project for the moment. Even Triangman does not have a set of pick ups for this loco. If he cannot get them I am not sure any one can. So I will try again and see if I can make some working pick ups again

Hi,

Where would I get some PC board. I have never used it..

Always available on eBay. It starts with stuff with holes (can be used at a push) or scroll down for plain board.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_

This is the first plain board. 10cm x 15cm will make a lot of pickups (or cut it up to make sleepers).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153553691164?hash=item23c083621c:g:5tMAAOSwtTVZkbhS

I think that pick up is for the 0-4-0 chassis, Steeple Cab, R.355 Nellie, etc.

M7 0-4-4, and L1 4-4-0 Service Sheets.

Tri-ang Hornby. M7. 1968.

5C467F2B-C43B-4DCC-ABA0-C015543B6BDF.jpeg.f3bfc2deb7c04d0994368e981b8d484d.jpeg

M7 pickup. X.627

36698941-D603-4415-9C30-3836462AE7E2.jpeg.a70e105375a35133a33a70349597da26.jpeg

Hornby Railways. M7 and L1. 1974.

C824E274-657A-4993-B222-58A9BEB50ADA.jpeg.e102fbc27f0ef2f3e94274e8a09adc45.jpeg

M7 Pickup. X.627

3BF1029D-679B-4F1D-8DAE-DDE08419307B.jpeg.daa053460cc27c952649ec8556acce4c.jpeg

L1 pickup. X.444

C11EDFA0-9F68-45F0-9DE6-B4F112E0158A.jpeg.98b38053259cc59591685716737c54d0.jpeg

It looks like the L1 uses the same plastic base plate, but with a boss for the spring type pickup, rather than the wipers.

So, despite the different part numbers, pretty much interchangeable, as long as the spring pick up can reach the wheels ok…highly probable, there were a few different springs made for various locos, 0-4-0, DMU power bogie, etc., or a special one could be made.

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo…more added..

5 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

Always available on eBay. It starts with stuff with holes (can be used at a push) or scroll down for plain board.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_

This is the first plain board. 10cm x 15cm will make a lot of pickups (or cut it up to make sleepers).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153553691164?hash=item23c083621c:g:5tMAAOSwtTVZkbhS

Hi il Grifone,

Thanks for the links. I will sort out what size I need.

• Thanks 1

When i retired,i was given a large sheet of copperclad PCB.I use it mainly for making adaptor plates for fitting centre rail p/ups for converting modern mainly Hornby locomotives to 3 rail.Shown is a plate tapped 8ba for fitting a Marklin skate to one of my new Hornby spam cans.Very useful stuff.

Ray.

20210416_232529.jpg

20210430_170755.jpg.jpg

• Like 1

I have made these from thick, black plasticard. A very sharp, small chisel OR a small screw-driver, sharpened to a blade/scraper is advantageous to do this or beaver away with a new scalpel blade. You can shave enough away to make the "V", drill the holes and then use a small self-tapper for the pick-up spring (from piano wire) and solder the wire to the motor to the tip poking through. When the solder hardens, file flat to avoid a short. The two "niks" in the opposite end to the "V" can be fashioned by a little judicious carving and filing. Quicker to do than describe! Also great for the L.O.T.I.'s and others.......:locomotive:

• Like 1

Hi all,

Well as luck would have it another Triang M7 has fallen into my lap for  a very cheap price. This one. So I now have 2 to work with. I think that this one may end up as an 0-6-2 with a Wrenn or Mainline N2 chassis. So I will have 2 to work on.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2