New model being produced?

EdChap

11 hours ago, EdChap said:

I have just read the page about naming 110 new trains in Wales by school children and it mentions that some winners will receive a Hornby model of their winning train & name!

https://news.railbusinessdaily.com/train-naming-competition-winners-announced/

It might be nothing or is it something new I wonder.

Ed Chap

The article does make you believe that. Though with most journalists these days, their articles tend to be way off... I came to two conclusions from that article;

- Hornby might be making a new product
- Hornby may give them another model (Class 153 or Class 67 and Mk4 set) in the TfW livery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting .  The pic is in front of one of the new DMUs , sorry don't know latest class number.  I have wondered if Hornby might bring out a model of the new East Anglian Stadler  units  as they are quite distinctive  and I believe TfW units are similar .   Can't imagine the limited edition model referred to will be one of the new names stuck onto a Hornby 0-4-0, but with Hornby , who knows ! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for link B5B. See 21.1 which does sort of link Model trains with the brand new trains . Of course they could be different

21.1.    Prizes will not be immediately received:
•    All brand-new trains are currently in production and will enter service from 2022. 
•    Model trains are also in production. They’re due in December 2021.
•    ‘Creative kits’ will be sent to the winners’ schools in July 2021

So, the model will be available before the real things enter service…

Probably not an actual model of the actual new TfW train / unit?

I saw some of the Recycled Underground stock the other day….

One for Bachman/ EFE? ;)

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Eh?

Link to the competition rules 

Yeah looks like Hornby model due out before real trains enter service , so it may simply be a repaint . Or given that 197s already  exist and the TfW Stadler units must be close by , maybe Hornby have been working closely with manufacturer . However  it’s also likely Hornbys prediction of Dec 2021 will have slipped , for a whole host of understandable reasons 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Probably the Class 67s and DVTs for the Holyhead to Cardiff trains.

As the prize I mean.

Currently un named as the names were removed.

With two more to come from the stored locos.

Jason

ahh that would make sense Jason , probably with mk4s intended to be around then 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hornby have left fielded us before (e.g. Collett 57' suburbans in the shops withing 8 weeks of announcement) and there may be a new model forthcoming, but so far as I can see neither Hornby nor TFW have stated that this is so; it may just as likely be journalistic enthusiasm and wobbly fact checking.  The competition winners are going to get Hornby train sets for their schools, but exactly which set is unspecified.

Another naming competition applied Stena Sealink's Fishguard-Rosslare ferry back in the 80s, run through the local newspapers of West Pembrokshire and Co. Wexford resulted in the ship being named Stena Felicity, after a Haverfordwest lady's cat.  Nice.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

What do people think about this, spotted in the APT episode of Hornby's current Model World series ?

2D188EC3-6BA4-4B7A-9504-D56718F37D4E.jpeg.41017b1a1d92764d015010cfee1827a5.jpeg

the vertical vs horizontal lights, and central cluster suggest it as a class 59 test shot vs a class 66.

But what stands out-here, is the bufferbeam seems to be part of the bodyshell, not the frame, and has separate windscreen wipers, both of which are not moulded the same way on the current Hornby Railroad model….(59 or 66)

Anyone else think this is a new 59 ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

What do people think about this, spotted in the APT episode of Hornby's current Model World series ?

the vertical vs horizontal lights, and central cluster suggest it as a class 59 test shot vs a class 66.

But what stands out-here, is the bufferbeam seems to be part of the bodyshell, not the frame, and has separate windscreen wipers, both of which are not moulded the same way on the current Hornby Railroad model….(59 or 66)

Having walked round that actual test track table at Margate, if you keep your eyes peeled in future episodes you may see all sorts of future maybe stuff left hiding in plain sight.

Incidentally that test track is their 4-loop track geometry diagram powered by a single power clip and loop to loop link wires and points clips with various DC and DCC controllers switched into circuit by rotary switches. A sort of worst case scenario power to a layout. Admittedly it doesn’t often see more than one loco running at a time.

19 hours ago, adb968008 said:

To me the front looks to have a slope to it, and the roof lacks any indication of the stuff on a Class 59 roof, so perhaps the suggestion of the Irish 201 is more likely?

• RMweb Gold

It looks like JHAs or similar bogies hoppers beside it. If Hornby are doing a new 59 we should know in early January.

Edited

Looking at a better picture further on in the thread, definitely not JHAs or anything similar.

Edited by BR Blue
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RAF96 said:

Having walked round that actual test track table at Margate, if you keep your eyes peeled in future episodes you may see all sorts of future maybe stuff left hiding in plain sight.

Already spotted a corridor coach with oval toilet windows, episode 1, what looks like a smaller boilered LNER tender engine in green, and a modern Maroon mk1, could be WCRC, support coach or other though… There was an A4 ep in an early episode which looked out of place as it could have been metal, but equaliy could have been a 10001, but non of them look good enough to call it out definite, which I think it is well manicured placement to ensure we dont know, but counter to that…  i got rather excited about a bodyshell that looked like a modern Multiple unit, but again too short to call.  if they were placed to tease, it failed as it was too short to identify as anything recognisable at all. Recording the 2-6-4 T 4MT I think was just misleading.

counter to that ive seen broken track, the broken girder bridge and broken bits running on some of their locos running on those layouts.

but that particular one looked pretty much a 59 to me and doesnt look like anything theyve done before… and its placement I dont think was a mistake, 2 shots of a second each.

i did check the 201, it does have similar wipers, but they are moulded to that glass, not separate, and the lights are horizontal, not vertical (and near flush) too... either way an upgraded 201 is new to Hornby too.

mk4 EPs showed up quite a bit, saw a couple of Oxford coach boxes during the APT episode, been eagerly watching their computer screens too (one was delibrately covered in one scene ).. That old SAR electric and k1 seem to be favourites in scenes. But they were clearly hot on it during filming, and must have swept the scene before the takes.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Nile said:

The curve above the windows can just be made out in this scene (cropped).

1587555157_HornbyAModelWorld-1.jpg.9e7edba476c4cca54bc93f90999d1d44.jpg

67 above in blue I noticed, looks really light. I assume its a Caledonian sleeper or an ATW one ? I was comparing curves of the 67 cab to that cab you highlighted and the 201.

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

67 above in blue I noticed, looks really light. I assume its a Caledonian sleeper or an ATW one ? I was comparing curves of the 67 cab to that cab you highlighted and the 201.

Just took another look.. its not a 201.. that roofline is not a 201.

C509408B-48A1-4AFF-8332-1AE04F033F60.jpeg

4D27B3D3-DAC6-4CB5-84D4-267D0317CE92.jpeg

Edited by adb968008