New model being produced?

EdChap

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Just took another look.. its not a 201.. that roofline is not a 201.

C509408B-48A1-4AFF-8332-1AE04F033F60.jpeg

4D27B3D3-DAC6-4CB5-84D4-267D0317CE92.jpeg

I realise this will sound daft but could it be the older model or another manufacturers model carefully placed to wind us and the others up?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Recording sound for a BR 4MT 2-6-4T is probably just for the Stanier tank.

The only Stanier 2-6-4 tank that survives is the 3 cylinder version in the NRM which hasn't steamed since 1962.

Jason

Pedantic I know but it did steam at Bressingham in the 1970’s. When Steve Jones was head of the NRM there was talk of restoring it for short haul mainline use but it came to nothing unfortunately. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NTrains said:

In response to the class 59/201 debate, Just going to leave this image with a picture of a box behind the DVT that looks to have Class 59/66 written on it…

010305CA-6DF3-4B09-903C-E8C3FEF40AB2.jpeg

Wouldn't surprise me if they stick 59 numbers on a 66 moulding....... 

(Waits for 69001/002 on a 56)

Edited by newbryford
  • Agree 6

15 hours ago, BR Blue said:

It looks like JHAs or similar bogies hoppers beside it. If Hornby are doing a new 59 we should know in early January.

Edited

Looking at a better picture further on in the thread, definitely not JHAs or anything similar.

Those wagons are LMS brake vans

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

its like the good old days of the engine shed, lets play detective, all rather exiting. in the above pic there is an EP of an A4 or something similar, if it was for the W1 range then this must of been filmed along time ago.

I don't see Hornby doing a new 59, Dapol are well advanced with theirs, surely bigger fish to fry.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

I don't see Hornby doing a new 59, Dapol are well advanced with theirs, surely bigger fish to fry.

I wouldn't be so sure, they obviously  aren't afraid to duplicate competitors' forthcoming releases and Dapol l have spent an age on their 59. 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

I wouldn't be so sure, they obviously  aren't afraid to duplicate competitors' forthcoming releases and Dapol have spent an age on their 59. 

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, jonnyuk said:

Sadly a 61xx, Terrier speaks differently.

And actions on 66, LN, 9F suggest they’ll take on anyone, they also several times stated certain models are “theres”.

Maybe they are adding smoke to it, like the LN ? But then smoke without lights… might as well make a new one.

The old Railroad 59/66 have been around for years, and are just fine, So If there was no tooling activity, why would they need an EP ? - any testing, just take a stock one off the shelf… just like with the smoke & LN in episode 1. Also that K1 and 87 thats in nearly every shot taken on those test tracks since the beginning.

I dont think the box means as much as the Grey EP, 66623 was one of their railroad releases last year…

https://www.hattons.co.uk/538972/hornby_r3922_po_class_66_66623_in_freightliner_g_w_orange_pre_owned_like_new/stockdetail

no clues in last nights episode, though seeing D400 / 50015 on the repairs layout keeps my faith alive that there is still one modern image fan in that building somewhere.

Edited by adb968008

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Sadly a 61xx, Terrier speaks differently.

And actions on 66, LN, 9F suggest they’ll take on anyone, they also several times stated certain models are “theres”.

Their aggressive territorial leg-cocking activities are directed in the main to steam.  Their Class 66 fest was aimed at a completely different market with an old Lima model aimed at pocket-money buyers in modern liveries - it was never going to be a contender in the Bachmann-Hattons end of the market.  Direct toe to toe aggressive defence of what they see as "their" models, on a like for like basis, have been the disgraceful "Terriergate" and Liverpool and Manchester 3rd open taking on "Rails", that GWR thing versus Dapol, and the 4MT, some Southern thing and the 9F against Bachmann.  The only real piece of territory marking in the non-steam arena I can think of, where we are comparing hi-fi models was the "Cavalex" project for a 91 and Mk4.  However, when you look at other non-steam outline models which have been "natural" Triang-Hornby or Lima territory they've largely left the market to Bachmann, Heljan and the new startups:

Class 37 - has been in the Triang and Lima ranges since Methusulah was tadpole in his dad's happy sacks, yet Bachmann and Accurascale have swooped in and taken the serious end of the market, leaving Hornby with the pocket money Railroad model.

Class 47 - was a key part of the Triang-Hornby, and Lima ranges for years but again has been largely taken by Heljan and Bachmann

Class 25 - originally a Hornby release in the 1970s.  Again Heljan, Bachmann and Sutton have various models at differing price points and Hornby have let this key part of their territory be taken by others.

Met-Cam DMU:  Remember the R158 of the 1960s?  Whilst Hornby do continue to produce the ex-Lima model which above the solebar isn't bad, but again Bachmann have snatched the market.

Class 86 - a headline model back when I was at secondary school over 40 years ago.  Heljan have swooped in.  Twice.

Class 90.  Bachmann have this market, with Hornby relegating their model to Railroad.

And, in a delicious bit of ironic revenge - their admittedly not bad new-ish Class 56 has now been overtaken by Cavalex's new announcement, and in the process, stolen my pre-order.

There are others.  The point is they didn't aggressively defend "their" territory on a myriad range of non-steam models, and when they do attempt to upgrade things, like the 31 and 50, then have a chaotic and ill thought out livery range which leaves them vulnerable to a sniping from a smaller outfit with a better understanding of the prototypes, like Cavalex and Accurascale.  Their 31 and 50 are especially vulnerable to a dawn raid by Accurascale in my view.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing a new "Shed" just because they see it as "theirs" (having bought the range from Lima of course) but if they do, it will no doubt go down like a bucket of cold vomit compared to whatever they see as the competition.  I think that ship has sailed, and it all just adds to the general perception that Hornby either don't understand, or are somewhat dismissive of, the non-steam modelling market.

Edited by wombatofludham
Heljan aren't Lima and never will be
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

24 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Class 90.  Bachmann have this market, with Hornby relegating their model to Railroad.

Simon Kohler said in an interview a while back that they had intended to re-tool the Class 90 but abandoned it when Bachmann announced theirs.

From a consumer's perspective I guess that's worked out okay as we now have the option of the more detailed Bachmann at a higher price or the more basic Hornby model for the more budget conscious.

Given the relatively small number of viable diesel/electric models (compared to steam), is it inevitable that we are going to see more duplication in the years to come?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2021 at 19:12, InterCity80s said:

is it inevitable that we are going to see more duplication in the years to come?

Plenty of duplication here….

excluding prototypes, heres my stab at it (i’m sure ive missed one).

based on original tooling, not subsequent owners of that tooling

() indicates subsequent users of that tooling.

* indicates not yet available.

01 - 0

02-  Heljan*

03 - Mainline (Replica, Bachmann), Bachmann

04 - Bachmann

05 - Heljan

06 - Hornby

07 - Heljan

08 - Triang (Hornby), Hornby, Bachmann, Hornby

09 - Lima, Hornby

10 - 0

11 - MR/Heljan*

12 - MR/Heljan*

13 - proposed - Rapido*

14 - Heljan 

15 - Heljan

16 - Heljan

17 - Heljan

20 - Hornby Dublo, Lima (Hornby), Bachmann, Bachmann

21 - Dapol + Jouef/Playcraft HO

22 - Dapol

23 - Heljan

24 - Bachmann, SLW, Bachmann - also 24/1 SLW*, Bachmann

25 - Hornby, + Bachmann, SLW*, Heljan, Bachmann*, Heljan - 25/2/3also variants also Bachmann, SLW*

26 - Lima, Heljan

27 - Lima, Heljan

28 - Dublo, Heljan

29 - Hornby, Dapol

30 - Lima (Hornby) , Hornby

31 - Triang (Hornby), Airfix (Dapol, Hornby), Lima (Hornby), Hornby

33 - Lima (Hornby), Heljan (Heljan 33/1/2) + Lima HO

35 - Triang(Hornby), Heljan (Efe Rail)

37 - Triang (Hornby), Lima(Hornby), Bachmann, Vitrains, Bachmann, Accurascale*.

40 - Jouef, Lima(Hornby), Bachmann, Bachmann

41 - Kernow

42 - Mainline ( Bachmann) + Fleischmann HO

43 - Bachmann

HST43 - Hornby, Lima, Hornby

44 - Bachmann

45 - Mainline, Replica(45/1), Bachmann, 45/1 Heljan*

46 - Bachmann, Bachmann

47 - Hornby, Lima(Hornby), Heljan, Bachmann, Vitrains, Bachmann*, Heljan*

48 - Model Rail*

50 - Lima, Hornby

52 - Trix, Hornby, Lima, Heljan, Dapol

55 - Hornby Dublo, Lima(Hornby), Bachmann, Accurascale*

56 - Airfix(Mainline, Dapol, Hornby), Hornby, Cavalex*

57 - Bachmann ( 47 renumbered doesnt count)

58 - Hornby, Heljan(Efe Rail)

59 - Lima(Hornby), Dapol*

60 - Lima, Hornby

66 - Lima(Hornby), Bachmann, Hattons + Mehano, Heljan and ESU in HO.

67 - Lima(Hornby), Hornby

68 - Dapol

69 - Bachmann

70 - Bachmann

electrics..

71 - Hornby, DJModels

73 - Lima(Hornby), Dapol , 73/9 proposed KMS/Accurascale*

76 - Heljan + Trix HO

77 - Triang, Heljan

81 - Trix, Triang

82 - 0

83 - 0

84 - 0

85 - Bachmann

86 - Hornby, Heljan

87 - Lima(Hornby), Hornby

88 - 0

89 - Proposed Rails/Accurascale*

90 - Hornby, Bachmann

91 - Hornby, Hornby*

92 - Lima, Hornby

93 - Revolution*

94 - 0 (class is still a rumour, tbc).

my opinion on it…all hypothetical.

considering the 2020’s railway is mostly classes > class 57, Hornby has a play in most of those diesels. If I was asked to pick a 2020’s diesel that wasnt already oversold in super detail, 59,69,70 stand out, as the 69 is taken then its a toss between 59 and 70, of the two a 59 has far more liveries and a much smaller competitor to beat up, and although a new tooling not released, its already a few years older, it might even be an opex vs a capex investment as its an existing product.

Who knows, it might even just be a 15 year old EP someone found in the store and decided to have a play with and left in the shot.

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

maybe Hornby feel they cannot go toe to toe with say Accurascale (maybe won't touch Bachmann as they are another elder statesmen in the hobby) in terms of quality and detail (even though we are yet to see a loco because of numerous delays), where as with Dapol they feel they can and win.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

maybe Hornby feel they cannot go toe to toe with say Accurascale (maybe won't touch Bachmann as they are another elder statesmen in the hobby) in terms of quality and detail (even though we are yet to see a loco because of numerous delays), where as with Dapol they feel they can and win.

Irish Railway Models (Accurascale's Irish "Parent Company") have delivered the Metro-Vick "A" Class loco which has had brilliant reviews, so I expect those awaiting the Deltic will have no concerns.  I'm looking forward to my two pre-ordered Class 37s based on their "A" class.

Thing is if Hornby were so fixated on "defending "their" models" in the way they do certain steam outline stuff they would be piling in with a 37 and 47 at the very least, but they don't, and in the long term, when all the silver kettle collectors are six feet under and the bubble for pretty little steamers to stick in a cabinet bursts, which it will do (for my generation forward steam is a funfair ride, and we have no experience of it as prime motive power so are less likely to want to model it) Hornby will be left with just their trainset market, in which admittedly they are certainly the market leader, and will that be enough to keep the company going?

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Agree 3

Class 58 surely is an option as well for retooling. This always was a Hornby mainstay before the Heljan model came out. Lets be honest the Heljan model is nice but could be improved. If Hornby don't announce a retooling soon then it feels like a model Accurascale will be all over as soon as the deltic lands. Would go great with their HAA offering now that class 56 is taken by Cavalax. Feels like a case of announce it or lose it for Hornby.

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, frobisher said:

The Bachmann 57 was tooled before their 47 (hence the some of the first 47s having 57 features).  It was Heljan who produced a renumbered 47 as a 57.

(Its Lima and Hornby I was thinking of), didnt realise Heljan are guilty too.:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

Based on the poor execution of the recent GBRF class 50s (ie obviously wrong shade of blue, missing snowploughs and etched nameplates) and what Hornby are doing now with the latest class 60 versions (ie cutting corners, omitting detail pack parts) it does not bode well for any new D&E tooling that they might produce.

Do we really want them to produce more inferior models?

My class 50 is a lovely smooth runner but externally it is a let down out of the box.

I hope they can up their game and match the newcomers to the market but there is no current evidence to suggest Hornby want to compete by offering a quality D&E product, or really care beyond the Railroad/train set market or collectors who just buy the box not the product inside it.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, frobisher said:

The Bachmann 57 was tooled before their 47 (hence the some of the first 47s having 57 features).  It was Heljan who produced a renumbered 47 as a 57.

Im still looking forward to Bachmann (hopefully) producing their 57/0 in the more recent DRS Compass livery as per 57002/003/007 - photo added below.

***update*** cl37lg currently have a few sound fitted and DCC ready of 57009 at very good prices on their ebay page!

23B49256-1631-44CD-BD08-063347BE5E9A.png

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Photo added and comment updated

1 hour ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

Based on the poor execution of the recent GBRF class 50s (ie obviously wrong shade of blue, missing snowploughs and etched nameplates) and what Hornby are doing now with the latest class 60 versions (ie cutting corners, omitting detail pack parts) it does not bode well for any new D&E tooling that they might produce.

Do we really want them to produce more inferior models?

My class 50 is a lovely smooth runner but externally it is a let down out of the box.

I hope they can up their game and match the newcomers to the market but there is no current evidence to suggest Hornby want to compete by offering a quality D&E product, or really care beyond the Railroad/train set market or collectors who just buy the box not the product inside it.

Really sad when it gets to the stage where people don’t want a manufacturer to produce a model because of poor QC, but this really is an issue for Hornby. Look at the comments in the APT thread - one of *the* models (if not *the* model) which defined Hornby’s centenary range - afflicted with light bleed, capacitors visible through the windows, issues with the bogies (none of these my comments, all made by others - I don’t own an APT), and over a grand MRP for a full 14 car train. I really wish they would do something to sort their QC issues.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

01 - 0

02-  Heljan*

04 - Bachmann

05 - Heljan

06 - Hornby

07 - Heljan

09 - Lima, Hornby

10 - 0

11 - MR/Heljan*

12 - MR/Heljan*

13 - proposed - Rapido*

14 - Heljan 

15 - Heljan

16 - Heljan

17 - Heljan

21 - Dapol

22 - Dapol

23 - Heljan

25 - Hornby, + Bachmann, SLW*, Heljan, Bachmann*, Heljan - 25/2/3also variants also Bachmann, SLW*

26 - Lima, Heljan

27 - Lima, Heljan

28 - Dublo, Heljan

29 - Dapol

35 - Triang(Hornby), Heljan

41 - Kernow

43 - Bachmann

44 - Bachmann

46 - Bachmann, Bachmann

48 - Model Rail*

50 - Lima, Hornby

58 - Hornby, Heljan

60 - Lima, Hornby

68 - Dapol

69 - Bachmann

70 - Bachmann

electrics..

71 - Hornby, DJModels

76 - Heljan + Trix HO

77 - Triang, Heljan

81 - Trix, Triang

82 - 0

83 - 0

84 - 0

85 - Bachmann

86 - Hornby, Heljan

88 - 0

90 - Hornby, Bachmann

91 - Hornby, Hornby*

92 - Lima, Hornby

93 - Revolution*

considering the 2020’s railway is mostly classes > class 57, Hornby has a play in most of those diesels. If I was asked to pick a 2020’s diesel that wasnt already oversold in super detail, 59,69,70 stand out, as the 69 is taken then its a toss between 59 and 70, of the two a 59 has far more liveries and a much smaller competitor to beat up, and although a new tooling not released, its already a few years older, it might even be an opex vs a capex investment as its an existing product.

Who knows, it might even just be a 15 year old EP someone found in the store and decided to have a play with and left in the shot.

You missed out the Class 70 DC Electric locos (which OO manufacturers also have).

18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

01 - 0

02-  Heljan*

04 - Bachmann

05 - Heljan

06 - Hornby

07 - Heljan

09 - Lima, Hornby

10 - 0

11 - MR/Heljan*

12 - MR/Heljan*

13 - proposed - Rapido*

14 - Heljan 

15 - Heljan

16 - Heljan

17 - Heljan

21 - Dapol

22 - Dapol

23 - Heljan

26 - Lima, Heljan

27 - Lima, Heljan

28 - Dublo, Heljan

29 - Dapol

35 - Triang(Hornby), Heljan

41 - Kernow

43 - Bachmann

44 - Bachmann

46 - Bachmann, Bachmann

48 - Model Rail*

50 - Lima, Hornby

58 - Hornby, Heljan

60 - Lima, Hornby

68 - Dapol

69 - Bachmann

70 - Bachmann

electrics..

71 - Hornby, DJModels

76 - Heljan + Trix HO

77 - Triang, Heljan

81 - Trix, Triang

82 - 0

83 - 0

84 - 0

85 - Bachmann

86 - Hornby, Heljan

88 - 0

90 - Hornby, Bachmann

91 - Hornby, Hornby*

92 - Lima, Hornby

93 - Revolution*

Anything over 25 to 30 years or so old should be ignored as they are totally irrelevant to the discussion.

Are we really suggesting that ancient Triang, Jouef and Trix models are in any way relevant to a modeller or RTR purchaser in 2022? Even Mainline, Lima and Airfix are borderline.

Jason

• Funny 1