Upgrading older stock for reliable DCC operation

5 hours ago, Dan Griffin said:

below is a link to a video i did where i have modified older models, Lima, Hornby and Airfix for relaible operation on DCC powered layouts. 

hopefully someone will find it useful. 

Dan

I really enjoyed your video.  Very useful.  Thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

I wonder if that sort of upgrading could be done on older Hornby models (not the later tender-drive ones, the original loco-drive ones).

I can think of two problems. If the motor is live to the chassis, you would have to work out a way to isolate the motor so that it was fed from the chip and not the track. The other possible problem with really old motors is the current draw. I don't know how many amperes a dcc chip can handle but an old Hornby dublo can draw nearly 2 amps.

11 minutes ago, d00m said:

I can think of two problems. If the motor is live to the chassis, you would have to work out a way to isolate the motor so that it was fed from the chip and not the track. The other possible problem with really old motors is the current draw. I don't know how many amperes a dcc chip can handle but an old Hornby dublo can draw nearly 2 amps.

I see. I kinda meant Triang Hornby/Hornby Railways models.

On 15/07/2021 at 08:15, Dan Griffin said:

below is a link to a video i did where i have modified older models, Lima, Hornby and Airfix for relaible operation on DCC powered layouts. 

hopefully someone will find it useful. 

Dan

Good video and great to see others actually modelling rather than stressing out because they cant get the latest release.

Too many older models get forgotten about as soon as an upgraded version is announced, though that is great for people who like modelling!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/07/2021 at 14:14, d00m said:

The classic X04 powered locos are a doddle to convert as you only need a second insulated sleeve for the other brush to insulate the motor from the chassis. The power bogie and TT locos are similar   The Silver seal tender drives are more difficult as one brush holder is not insulated, but lets face it they are pretty awful compared to the older models and best binned or given to kids to play with, while Hornby Dublo are either dead easy as in 1/2" motors, or need the brush holder hole drilled out and an insulated sleeve added. Ring fields probably need super neo magnets so as not to fry the decoder.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2