The Design Clever era - durability of axles ? Please no negativity

Covkid

• RMweb Gold

Covkid's  OP asked about the axle quality of the Hornby 42-52-72xx models.  As such, we haven't seen or heard of axles wearing through chassis, or the wheels & pickups either.  I'm fairly sure that such a situation   would receive widespread attention  in the modelling press. 

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Covkid's  OP asked about the axle quality of the Hornby 42-52-72xx models.  As such, we haven't seen or heard of axles wearing through chassis, or the wheels & pickups either.  I'm fairly sure that such a situation   would receive widespread attention  in the modelling press. 

Really? You seldom see anything detrimental in the modelling press , which is why I prefer these YouTube reviews . 

But back to subject matter . My 42xx has completed a fair few miles now trundling round with heavy freight trains and is a lovely smooth runner .I dare say there will be wear but it’s certainly not noticeable after  5 or 6 years of use 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Legend said:

Really? You seldom see anything detrimental in the modelling press , which is why I prefer these YouTube reviews . 

But back to subject matter . My 42xx has completed a fair few miles now trundling round with heavy freight trains and is a lovely smooth runner .I dare say there will be wear but it’s certainly not noticeable after  5 or 6 years of use 

5 minutes with a small screwdriver and some grease would save any worries there:

https://www.jacksonsmodels.co.uk/woodland-scenics-hl657-white-grease-96g-hobelube.ir?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl_SHBhCQARIsAFIFRVUmWA9Jut1C

Charlie (No connection to Jacksons)

• Like 1

On 25/07/2021 at 17:28, cbrooks122000 said:

Just to give you a heads up about the modelling press if it is anything like the motoring press then it is very rarely critical of its sponsors. I worked on a vehicle program where we knew it had major issues, that would be fixed six months after release (not enough time to do them at the time). I was amazed when I read a report about the vehicle and how wonderful it was. Once the public got hold of it all the issues became very apparent. There is one reviewer, I won't mention their name that gets sponsored by a DCC decoder firm that also seems to have a special relationship with Simon Kohler. Some of their reviews are ok, but you know you will never find out about any faults with a Hornby loco. The other thing Sam does which is useful, is weigh up whether the loco is worth the price tag. Hornby has a habit of hiking the price of old locos so that they are nearly the same price as the recently developed ones. To me it was a real disappointment to buy the supposedly latest model, to find it is virtually the same as my old one that is ten years old. He recently did a review of the new Hornby clerestory coaches and basically said although they were better painted than the 90s version they were the same model, which was absolutely true. The only thing Hornby had done was do a better paint job and add metal wheels.  

I totally agree, people who are employed by companies should make that clear if they are reviewing the said companies products.

• Agree 2

On 25/07/2021 at 16:32, Legend said:

As Andy the Moderator points out on a Hattons-related thread he recently shut down, "RMWeb is not TripAdvisor".

Now, some of us might wish it were ... but that's another story, and if he simply isn't going to let it happen then those of us who would like to hear both sides of such a story, "Warts and All", will need to look elsewhere.  Wherever 'elsewhere' might be; don't ask me as I'm not a big fan of YouTube  ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've been building compensated locos in 3mm/ft scale for quite a long time. Early on I decided that the conventional approach of fitting hornblocks to the chasses for the moving axles was a waste of time, difficult to do accurately, and prone to problems; simple rectangular slots in the chasses were good enough. And so it proved. Others have found the same.

Admittedly my models aren't subject to endless running round radius 2 type curves. But slots in a hefty cast chassis should be fine.

Nigel

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 27/07/2021 at 12:12, cbrooks122000 said:

It is not always being employed, sometimes it is just that they do favours for you.

Plus plus plus…advertising & other sponsorship deals.