Peel, Isle of Man

Little video of the line in action. The steam loco is one of the Oxford Diecast/IOM Transport models, built on a motorised Branchlines Chassis. The brake coach is Branchlines the comp is a Gem kit. Railcars by Anbrico, running on custom made power bogies (without the rods unfortunately) 

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Fresh from the works, This little beauty has been in the slow burner for a while, but short of adding some lead strip to the inside of the tanks and the tyre edges blacked she’s just about there now. IMR No4 Loch in 1930’s condition. It’s a Branchlines chassis with an Oxford Diecast body. chimney dome, re railing Jack and smoke box lubricators from Branchlines and Peco couplers. I’m very pleased with this conversion, and am looking forward to doing a couple of sisters to run the 1930’s timetable with her. “Kissack” will be one, the other as yet to be decided.

A3139D80-505F-4127-A5F8-49BBF92843CF.jpeg

• Like 12

Turning the Peel time machine back even further, this time to 1917.
Caledonia runs in with a train of empty H wagons from Knockaloe, Military and Police on hand to check no one has stowed away in the wagons.
We’re used to seeing Caledonia in gleaming fully lined out MNR livery, but here she is in utility dark green and looking rather grubby and overworked (with 16 return trips a day up to the camp it’s no wonder)

5609B463-F515-45C9-8FF1-E6839D5CD9E5.jpeg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

After a heavy session in the Creek, following the Royal Show, Farmer Cringle couldn’t decide if it was the eight pints of Okells or the “locally sourced” mushrooms in his omelette that were responsible for his hallucinogenic state…
Standing with his back firmly to the fence seemed the only sensible option.

47F17061-1389-44A0-BF65-54090D4BE571.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

Alongside Maitland for comparison No8 Fenella in Peel this evening. Running on a chassis borrowed from the 1950’s Mona. I’m really pleased with this one, lowering the tanks was a challenge, but not as much as applying the N gauge lining. Just a bit of pipe work to finish the body and then a chassis of its own.

5266F60C-9D7D-4FD9-81BF-B38F549BDAC6.jpeg

18F28051-68E2-4CF2-9941-82239CD631EF.jpeg

• Like 10

Another loco body almost completed, just the cab steps to position. This one No10 G H Wood, in Ailsa green.

The layout is being built to run in three eras.

pre WW2 with No4 Loch, No13 Kissack and No15 Caledonia in dark green livery. Coaching stock in a mix of purple lake/off white and plain brown 

1950’s to 1965 with No5 Mona, No6 Peveril, No12 Hutchinson and No16 Mannin all in Indian red livery with red and cream coaches 

1967/68 Ailsa era with No8 Fenella, No10 G H Wood and No11 Maitland, coaches again in red and cream ( I am tempted to turn out the Foxdale Coach in blue and yellow as Lord Ailsa’s camping coach :-) 

E58FA79D-2961-406A-B148-059028E5E747.jpeg

• Like 9

Late afternoon in Peel (Isle of Man) 1962, numbers 5 “Mona” and 12 “Hutchinson” have a seven coach train packed with holidaymakers to take back into Douglas. It’s a scene I might have witnessed as a youngster and therefore is a pleasure to be able to recreate in miniature

C55DE0A0-5E4B-4C15-92A7-C4DBEC5F268B.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Mike Buttell said:

Late afternoon in Peel (Isle of Man) 1962, numbers 5 “Mona” and 12 “Hutchinson” have a seven coach train packed with holidaymakers to take back into Douglas. It’s a scene I might have witnessed as a youngster and therefore is a pleasure to be able to recreate in miniature

C55DE0A0-5E4B-4C15-92A7-C4DBEC5F268B.jpeg

The atmosphere and B&W presentation of that photo screams Railway Modeller 1966 ish for some reason!  Recreating a recreation sort of......great stuff Mike, as usual.

PS - I need to get those drawings to you!

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

G

43 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The atmosphere and B&W presentation of that photo screams Railway Modeller 1966 ish for some reason!  Recreating a recreation sort of......great stuff Mike, as usual.

PS - I need to get those drawings to you!

glad you got that Neil, that was what I was trying to achieve. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

I have it somewhere....the MMRS layout article.

The little Oxford locos are a cut (or three) above the old GEM ones, they capture the Manx Peacocks perfectly, mind you they should, No 12 was 3D scanned for the unpowered model and I was pleased to have been asked to look over the images before they were made into models. 

• Like 3