Peel, Isle of Man

23 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Hi Chris, hope you're well.

Yes, that's the one, no idea where it is but I have it somewhere!

All well here thanks Neil.  Trust all is well with you.  The big railway outdoors is surveyed and the route provisionally approved by the Domestic Authorities here.  But I'm stalled awaiting a friendly Gobbag who's promised to help with the significant groundworks.  He has the necessary skills as well as the tools (principally a cement mixer) and, having reflected, I though it best to await his assistance rather than my attempting to developing the skills at the expense of the finished job.  Slow progress continues to be made on my indoor project as documented elsewhere in Narrow Gauge Modelling.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

I remember seeing that incredible layout at the MMRS exhibition in the Corn Exchange in either December 1964 or 65.  I'm sure that model first sparked my interest in the IMR which, eventually, led to me moving here. 

Ray.

My father took me to see it too.  I think it was 1965 or possibly even 1966, though I only have the vaguest recollection of anything about it other than the sheer number of people there.  Doubtless he had some difficulty explaining why Close Mooar Crossing and Crosby weren't to be seen.  I'd forgotten the show used to be at the Corn Exchange.  I have clearer recollections of going to the UMIST Sackville Street building in later years.

• 3 weeks later...

“The Peel Engine” of Manx mythology. No6 Peveril joins the fleet and is out on test with one of the first trains of the winter timetable. Once the tourists have gone, just a single coach is often sufficient for late 1950’s traffic. 
I’ve left the Oxford/IOM Transport plastic dome on this one, as it looks scruffier than the brass ones. Subtle alteration to the chimney top as well. The intention is to fit the small snowploughs that were such a feature of the Manx locos in winter, plus some steam heating pipe work maybe.5A807EF7-206E-4B01-BF77-79386E6ACDEE.jpeg.6cd890ad5d4b7fd39cf275d7ec3425f5.jpeg73CD3A43-0B9F-43D8-B61C-09B6B321113D.jpeg.c7f78a2e107107047b89e09f2ec8e21d.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

Busy in Peel!
The pre WW2 stock is in action. No4 Loch is based out in Peel, working chimney first into Douglas, No13 Kissack has the afternoon train and No15 Caledonia looks ready to run up to Knockaloe Internment Camp with supplies and a couple of empty H wagons.

1EA09E6C-CBAB-4874-B485-343117E426BF.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 26/08/2021 at 17:53, Chris Williamson said:

All well here thanks Neil.  Trust all is well with you.  The big railway outdoors is surveyed and the route provisionally approved by the Domestic Authorities here.  But I'm stalled awaiting a friendly Gobbag who's promised to help with the significant groundworks.  He has the necessary skills as well as the tools (principally a cement mixer) and, having reflected, I though it best to await his assistance rather than my attempting to developing the skills at the expense of the finished job.  Slow progress continues to be made on my indoor project as documented elsewhere in Narrow Gauge Modelling.

Sorry, I missed your reply at the time, Chris!  

All good thanks (age/arthritis related bits dropping off excepted) and enjoying retirement!

i await photos with bated breath!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

“Ease up!”
Ivo captures the scene at Peel, Isle of Man, as No1 Sutherland couples on to the first afternoon train towards St.John’s and Douglas. The smell of smoke, steam, kippers and a fresh late autumn breeze combine to add to the sight of the train at Mill Road crossing

4B5B98BC-29B2-4571-9D6E-D0722FB47F71.jpeg

4FD90692-EE6C-4203-A63F-2D23021A5A38.jpeg

Edited by Mike Buttell
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Intruder alert!

Manx Northern Sharp Stewart No1 “Ramsey” on a works train at Peel. IMR No13 “Kissack” in the background. One of the MNR sharpies is recorded as having gone south to Port Erin in 1911, so that gives me all the licence I need.
This loco is a static model, using one of the spare Oxford Diecast plastic chassis.  

77788C36-1D16-4D04-A28D-B7121632BF84.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rare to see a double header in Peel (Isle of Man Railway)  in December, but the Steam Packet sailing has arrived into Peel Harbour due to gale force winds, and Numbers 13 Kissack and 4 Loch prepare to battle the elements into Douglas with the diverted passengers

7201B7F0-FC1A-4B6F-89C3-45CB7E7C83CA.jpeg

57EB00DC-8815-4506-A8F3-3BCF2B2F234C.jpeg

• Like 10

Set at Sulby Bridge Railway Station on the old Manx Northern line, during the 1930’s
No 4 Loch on the way down to Ramsey passing No15 Caledonia. The crew of the Caley demonstrate just how big the snow drifts they have just cleared were, with no exaggeration at all, well perhaps just some, maybe, possibly, probably.

DA1EB50C-03A4-44B3-BEE8-005383135B4D.jpeg

Edited by Mike Buttell
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

“We’ve had to disturb Mr Sheard’s Christmas Dinner, he says we can take you, the sleigh and presents in an open wagon. But if we need to put on a cattle van for the reindeer it’ll be an extra three pounds and it won’t be one of the good vans like last year.” “He says it’s not his fault you got stuck in the pub.”

99386F7E-1564-4A9C-AA12-ABF4D24662E4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Funny 4

• 3 weeks later...

No1 Sutherland is set to take the 14:30 up to St.John’s where it will join the the Douglas bound train from Ramsey. The Post Office van has just offloaded the mail bags into the luggage end of the brake coach. The smell of kippers will no doubt linger inside the coach for at least a few days or more likely forever 

B96DF47A-A39A-498D-AC64-79A27DD2081A.jpeg

Edited by Mike Buttell
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

The generic Peco industrial town backscene is history. A trip out to Kipperopolis last week with the camera to take photos of the backs of the houses along Glenfaba road, followed by some time photoshopping out satellite dishes, some of the smaller building extensions and skylights etc and some Toning down of the colours has made for a more realistic version of Peel to overlook the station.

No8 Fenella waits to charge uphill to St. John’s 

BC1036DE-A1EC-4226-A4F2-B585867F55CD.jpeg

Edited by Mike Buttell
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The discussion outside the Peel loco shed concerns the prospects of Phil Read on the Gilera beating Mike the Bike on his MV in the 1963 Senior TT. “As much chance as 16 making it back up the hill to St.John’s” teases the driver of the Donegal Railcars, who is busy tending to the needs of his own motor cycle. “There’s life in the old girl yet” is the reply, and there is, …..just30C22230-DA6A-4827-AF9A-D2FF5C977411.jpeg.36166d70155a1c56907e2aadf0e17bf6.jpeg

• Like 8

Isle of Man No1 “Sutherland” pulls up the gradient from Peel. Just the half brake is more than sufficient for passengers on a cold February day. For this trip the coach only has the train guard in it, but the van behind is full to the roof with boxes of Kippers.2D71CD61-DE81-4DBF-AA94-4AE21D52B9C5.jpeg.038851561a42139395ddaac7039b2a8f.jpeg

• Like 9

I've just found this thread. What a nostalgia fest for me! As a family we had many happy holidays in the Isle of Man in the 60s and 70s, and the railway was always a part of them. 

I remember once being at Port Erin station when the railcars were departing. Suddenly one of them let out a huge billow of black clag and rolled to a halt making a noise like someone shaking a bucket of spanners. They had to get a steamer to tow it back to the station. I did wonder later why the other railcar couldn't take over, but maybe it was just being used as an unpowered trailer anyway.

Will follow this with a happy smile.