Revolution’s N Gauge ‘teasers’ for future models

So as part of the N gauge forum’s online show, Revolution have hinted at some future N gauge models: 

A new locomotive to be announced soon,

Another set of coaching stock after the Mk5s (my bet would be Mk4s),

A period DMU to use the 128 chassis,

Another EMU to use the 321 chassis (please be a 325!).

Exciting times ahead…

David

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Another EMU to use the 321 chassis (please be a 325!).

Exciting times ahead…

David

325 would be great, would have 5 possibly 6, do like the 325's. 

Cheers 

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Another set of coaching stock after the Mk5s (my bet would be Mk4s)

If MK4s then the loco would surely have to be a 91, though the 89 did go through the expression of interest stage

My preferred choice would be MK2B and/or MK2C, with the loco being an 87,  but time will tell.

es grüßt

pc 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

For those interested, we are anticipating that the next locomotive will probably be offered toward the end of this month or start of next, pending tying up a few loose ends, and as ever there'll be a low EarlyBird price for a short period, probably around 4-6 weeks.

The next EMU will be unveiled some time after the Class 320/321 units arrive, purely because we already have the Class 313/4 PEP units on the go and we don't think it's right to over-announce.

Similarly, the next 64' MU will be confirmed once the Class 128 EP1 samples are here, and we have had a chance to assess the chassis, so probably around TINGS time.

The coaches are a slightly longer term project, though I think we may have something to show by Warley.

All these models are in N, incidentally.

cheers

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I’d have thought mk2 coaches would be a bit of a risk. You’ve got decent 2A and 2D(?) coaches, and the number of people who actually know the specific differences is fairly limited I’d say. 

91 and mk4s would be interesting, and not a bad shout, particularly with the 89. If the loco is a 91 that seems a racing certainty. I always say I’d love a 90, and I really would (or 10), but I’m waiting on Mercig to redo a Farish one, so preferably not for a while…! I wondered if a 59 was a possibility. Obviously Dapol have just reinvigorated theirs, so I suspect not, given that was always a threat, but you never know…

Exciting it isn’t long to wait!

Edited by njee20
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, njee20 said:

I’d have thought mk2 coaches would be a bit of a risk. You’ve got decent 2A and 2D(?) coaches, and the number of people who actually know the specific differences is fairly limited I’d say. 

2F rather than 2D...  The 2B/C would fill the obvious void as they are markedly different from the 2A/Z we have already.  2D/E would not markedly different from the 2F.  So a reasonable bet (however I'll always put in a vote for the MK2 Pullmans...).  The big thing is of the missing MK2s, the B, C and Pullman ones are not present currently in N AND 00.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, I wrote F, and then changed my mind! I know they are different, but are they different enough? That’s rhetorical. To be fair the Farish 2As are making good money second hand, and supply is poor, but I’d have thought it would be too close for Revolution to go there.  

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

To be fair the Farish 2As are making good money second hand, and supply is poor, but I’d have thought it would be too close for Revolution to go there.

Saying the 2B/C is too close to the 2A is pretty much like saying the King Class is too close to the Castle Class.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, frobisher said:

Saying the 2B/C is too close to the 2A is pretty much like saying the King Class is too close to the Castle Class.

I wouldn't know the difference between a King and a Castle without checking the nameplate :D

I'm playing devil's advocate as much as anything. There's been a good 2A on the market for some years. Yes, ok the 2B/C are different, but there's a definite overlap in that market, and how many people will have either 'settled' for 2As and wouldn't rush to swap to 2B/C or simply don't know/care about the differences? This is somewhat tangental however, given they've not announced any mk2s, and perhaps I'll eat my words in a few months! 

What happened to the Cavalex plans for Mk4 sets in N? Did it officially die with the OO project when Hornby gazumped them? If so, perhaps the baton has been passed?

BUT - what I'd really love to see in terms of coaches is some pre-war Pullmans (K-type?). With Hornby making a high quality model in OO, it is hard to imagine Bach-Farish ever tackling them. And with the VSOE set such a widespread sight on the mainline network since the 80s, it would be very easy to sell some flat sided Pullmans to a really wide range of modellers.

(obviously there would be endless debate on which of the endless variants, but I imagine a straightforward approach might be to tool the types represented in the modern VOSE set - even if several are former Brighton Belle cars with their distinctive roof ends) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It never officially died, but with the best will in the world neither Cav nor Alex even started a thread here to promote the N gauge one once the OO gauge one was locked following the Hornby announcement, and here we are next 2 years later with nary a sniff of an update! I think that speaks volumes...

Pullmans could be very interesting; someone suggested them on the NGF as well. I'd be in for a rake of those for a railtour I'm sure!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, njee20 said:

It never officially died, but with the best will in the world neither Cav nor Alex even started a thread here to promote the N gauge one once the OO gauge one was locked following the Hornby announcement, and here we are next 2 years later with nary a sniff of an update! I think that speaks volumes...

Pullmans could be very interesting; someone suggested them on the NGF as well. I'd be in for a rake of those for a railtour I'm sure!

Pullmans, especially those still running on the mainline, must be a bit of a variation nightmare I imagine given the various different sources they came from. Are some of the VSOE rake not ex 5BEL coaches? 

Tom. 

• RMweb Premium

According to this, yes, 3 of the 11 coaches are ex-5BEL, whilst the other 8 are split between three manufacturers and decades of production. Given they've also had to make changes to bring them up to modern standards, so they'd not actually span any serious period of time accurately perhaps not...!

I think mk4s (and a 91) are a good shout, I'll back that horse :D

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, njee20 said:

I think mk4s (and a 91) are a good shout, I'll back that horse

I'd be more than happy with that too! It was a shame when the Cavalex N Gauge model effectively went into indefinite hibernation after the Hornby incident and a 91/MK.4 rake is now the missing piece of the ECML puzzle in N Gauge. 

The only reason I suspect it's not is due to the loco being announced daily soon but the coaches being mentioned as a longer term project. Something like that would make sense to announce all at the same time. 

Tom.  

Edited by TomE

• RMweb Premium

The 90 is a glaring omission in the modern lineup, but Mike and Ben have always been reticent due to Bachmann's offering, and that's compounded by the 3-monthly schedule; Farish could have one up their sleeve almost done. Bet they don't, mind! Surely it is only a matter of time though before someone does it...

• Agree 1

I think the Class 310 (AM10) needs a place. It replaced the Mk1 compartment stock, to everyone's relief and was the mainstay of the suburban services on the Southern WCML for 20 years. There never has been a RTR model and is a huge gap.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, njee20 said:

According to this, yes, 3 of the 11 coaches are ex-5BEL, whilst the other 8 are split between three manufacturers and decades of production. Given they've also had to make changes to bring them up to modern standards, so they'd not actually span any serious period of time accurately perhaps not...!

Very true - but the Hornby models being accurate only for, I think, the original 1920s ECML sets, hasn't stopped them selling them by the bucketload to modellers focused on different eras and locations!

I suspect the only sensible approach would be to tool a line-up that is accurate for one particular era or usage, however arbitrary, to satisfy purists, and guide what vehicle types in what proportions, but in the full knowledge that most buyers would use them in other ways.

Whether that is an accurate VSOE set as running in 1982, or an LNER east coast set running in 1928, its a starting point for those wanting to be super accurate for another time or place. (e.g. if a new model was released of 1920s K-types in a few variations, you could split a Hornby-Arnold 5-BEL to add those style coaches - different roof ends - to yield an accurate VOSE set, if you really wanted ...) 

It seems pretty remarkable that N has lacked any model of probably the most iconic of all British coaches, since the days of Poole Farish! Someone has to do some steam era Pullmans some day ...

• Agree 6