Electrical connections across baseboards and lift outs

My layout is on two levels, running on DCC, and has two sets of lift out sections. One particular set is across my access to the centre area and I have the option of either lifting the two parts to this one section or crawling underneath.  At the moment, crawling underneath is less of a fuff than lifting the two sections out but I can foresee a time rapidly approaching when the knees will complain a bit more then currently so I've decided to remake the liftouts.  They're currently of a pretty robust constructions and therefore aren't particularly lightweight so making a single box type construction from plywood that will accommodate both levels is under consideration.

However, as part of the planned reconstruction I'm investigating simplifying the electrical connections.  As there are  turnouts on the liftout, I currently use a D type connector for their power supply and a simple strip connector for each level's DCC bus but these are all located under the baseboard so I still have to crawl around on hands and knees.  So, I got to thinking that it would be lovely if the connections could be incorporated in the new liftout so that it all automatically unplugs when lifted out and reconnects when replaced. 

I'm aware that there are baseboard dowels with connectors incorporated but also wondered if anyone has experimented with attaching power feeds to ordinary metal alignment dowels.  Either way, that still leaves the turnout motor feeds and I'm struggling to find a suitable solution there.

One other possiblility is replacing the liftouts with a hinged section.  However, being on two levels, only a gate would work without major baseboard reconstruction but the gate and main baseboard would necessarily connect at an angle making male and female connections less easy and therefore the connections would have to be contact.

Google searches have demonstrated that I'm not the only person searching for a solution so wondered if anyone has actually managed to crack this.  All suggestions gratefully received!