D5578 in experimental blue

I'm sure the BR crest is there Andy, just this side of the lower middle grille. Compared to the standard green livery with twin white stripes it does look very stark as you say - ochre D5579 was blessed with the stripes (and a grey roof) so I wonder what the thinking was behind the finishing of this one? Even the LMR electric classes had off-white cab window surrounds. Perhaps Tri-ang made a better job of it........ :D !

Nice to see a photo of this one brand new - proves once and for all that it was blue all over. I resprayed an Airfix model many years ago and was never entirely certain I should have left the roof blue. Nice to know I got it right after all!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

It was a bit plain. As Neil said, Triang made it look much better with white (or sometimes grey) roof and white stripes. I believe I read somewhere that Brian Haresnape had some input into the colour choices, with the golden ochre essentially being Stroudley's Improved Engine Green, and the blue was supposed to be a Peacock Blue but the final shade used was darker.

I also bought a repainted Hornby super-detail class 31 in a lighter blue (possibly electric blue) with grey roof and yellow panels. Maybe not accurate, but it looks really good in this livery. It was a worthwhile purchase at a reasonable price (with a couple of minor problems declared) as it also had sound fitted. 

Photos for your interest: the Triang 2nd blue version (the first was plain blue with eggshell cab window surrounds), followed by the eBay purchase.

515894361_TriangBlueBrushType2-3.jpg.79118e572d93ff81470390799ee09adb.jpg

P_20190522_200045_vHDR_On.jpg.3db82728ff017fac492d619bc46823d5.jpg

Edited by SRman
Typos - sticking 'e' key causing problems!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, was this shade of blue close to electric blue?

And was there any real difference between electric blue, early BR (steam) blue, Nanking blue as used in the diesel Pullmans, and LNER garter blue?

The official colour from the Foochow colour chart (Brush Traction's paint supplier) was French Blue and is supposed to be a match for the blue used on the AC electrics. I still have the colour charts that Brush supplied me with many many years ago. The blue did darken up quite rapidly with hand cleaning with paraffin rags.

As a matter of interest D5579' s golden ochre is described as Bronze Yellow in the same paint manufacturers catalogue.

D5578 March 1962.jpg

D5578 Stratford CRDE Slide 15347.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

Robert Gadsdon has just posted this on Flickr. It looks vey stark and seemingly lacks even a BR crest. 

1960 - New Blue Brush at Platform 10..

Edited by Mallard60022
See below...sorry about that

29 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

The official colour from the Foochow colour chart (Brush Traction's paint supplier) was French Blue and is supposed to be a match for the blue used on the AC electrics. I still have the colour charts that Brush supplied me with many many years ago. The blue did darken up quite rapidly with hand cleaning with paraffin rags.

As a matter of interest D5579' s golden ochre is described as Bronze Yellow in the same paint manufacturers catalogue.

D5578 Stratford CRDE Slide 15347.jpg

Interesting that the roof has changed colour here. It really does appear as if it was painted a different colour, but it could just be extreme weathering.

5 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Or could this be BR blue without the Matt airless spray eggshell finish? I accidentally got some non Matt BR blue, and the finish looks like some of the early repaints if they had a varnished top coat.

Definitely not BR blue as the approved specification didn't exist in 1960! Unless a match was achieved by accident of course, but none of the colour images above - despite all being different thanks to the well-known vagaries of 1960s colour film technology - look like BR blue to me.

Interesting and necessary white spot backing for the MU blue stars!

• Like 1