Dapol Stanier 57' coaches - small livery details?

DavidBird

I have just completed the Dapol kits of the 57' composite M3630M and brake 3rd M5650M, in BR maroon livery.  They are very simple to make up, only problems were getting the window inserts to actually seat properly in a few of the window openings.

The bodies are pre-sprayed, lined and numbered, but need the BR coach roundels applied by the included waterslide transfers.

Can anybody tell me, or point in the direction of photos or other information, what other branding, wording or symbols these carried and their positioning? I'm thinking of C1 restriction on the ends, "Load 2 tons evenly distributed" for the brake/luggage compartment, "Guard" for the doors and similar small details.  The only photos a google search gives me are photos of the kits as made up, or the LMS-liveries set on the Severn Valley Rly.

I think the Fox transfers FRH4030/2 sheet should cover it, do you know of any more I should have?

Thanks

As they are Stanier 57' carriages not BR Mk1's they aren't C1 profile so no 'C1' transfers on the ends.  You need a'1' on the doors of the first class end of the compo.  IIRC not all had the "roundel" which was a later addition.

Probably best to search out as many photos as possible for your chosen time period.

Ray.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Coaches for top express trains were referred to as Class A stock this was marked by a stencilled Letter A on the right he side of the tonnage plate on the ends of the coaches. Restaurant and Sleeping cars weren’t marked with this but were always treated as Class A stock.

• Like 1

Thanks to all who replied.  As was said in another thread, using these as a basis for a completely accurate model is like gold-plating a plastic spoon.  I will letter it in the same fashion as the Bachmann r-t-r version here.39-471.IMG_9960.jpg?preset=large

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I got the number wrong!  The pre-printed number of the composite is M3870M not 3630 as I said in the first post! :blush:

It's still not within the range Jason gave though!

• RMweb Gold

M3870M was to Diagram 1898 built in 1934. 

There were several diagrams of 60ft CKs built in the 'Period 3' era. compartment layout was basically the same although all lots built after Diagram 1898 had the 3rd class compartments reduced from 6'6" to 6'3" with the toilets being increased in size. 

Pre-WW2

3829-3863   Diagram 1859 which had shallow window vents and torpedo roof vents. 

3864-3898   Diagram  1898 with deep window vents and torpedo roof vents.

3899-3933   Diagram  1898 with deep window vents and shell roof vents.

3934-4113   Diagram  1925 Similar to Diagram 1898 but compartment size changes, see above

4114-4329   Diagram  1969 as Diagram 1925 but different toilet interior layout

Post-WW2 there were more coaches to Diagram 2117 which were similar to Diagram 1969 but with two extra doors on the compartment side. These were followed by Diagram 2159  Porthole version which had a different body profile.

• Like 1